Hood scoop - make it functional

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Felipe, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Felipe

Felipe In Third Gear

Any ideas on how to prevent water from going into the carb or causing damage within the engine bay? I am installing a hood scoop which Ford designed to be non-functional; but I want to make it functional (only because I like when things look great and also have a functional purpose). The scoop comes from a '69 '70 Mustang. You can see a picture of the scoop if you go to Ranchero Pics then RANCHERO PICS ONLY, look at "As is '66" Ranchero; he has the same hood scoop on his '66. To maximize fresh air to the carb, I plan to use an air cleaner that has an element as a lid. If I simply cut a hole in my hood, when I drive in the rain, I'll be drawing in a certain amount of moisture. I'm wondering how a functional Mustang Shaker Hood catches, controls, channels and drains the water away. I'm sure Ford designers and engineers figured this out; otherwise, Ford would have instructed Mustang Shaker Hood owners to not drive their cars in the rain. I'm also wondering how water is channeled and drained on Formula One race cars' air intake ducts. Unlike NASCAR, F1 cars are raced in the rain all the time. Who has some ideas on how to have the scoop draw in air AND control and drain rain water?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2010
  2. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

It won't be a problem at all............Just stop, turn around and go in reverse till the rain stops.:D

I will never drive my 68.5 428CJ in the rain...

3. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

All functional scoops on street cars face rearward for a host of reasons, the rain being just one of them.
    It is best to think of the scoop as a hood ornament, and leave it at that.

4. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Beg to differ just a little... such as '68 - '73 Mustangs, '68 - '72 Torino, Fairlane, Ranchero...

Such as my '72 Goldfish and Bluefish, scoops face forward...

[​IMG]

Functional Ram Air cleaner assembly:

[​IMG]

5. Felipe

Felipe In Third Gear

Beg to differ just a little... such as '68 - '73 Mustangs, '68 - '72 Torino, Fairlane

As "72GTVA" points out, there are alot of stock forward facing functional hood scoops. I'll have to take a close look at the inner flow design and drainage next time I'm at a car show.

6. 72GTVA

On most of these there is a flapper (or two) that is (are) closed until your engine has low vacuum and then it opens. On my Mach 1, the flappers are normally closed well up in the NACA scoops and seal out water when the engine is running. On my Ranchero, the grill is open continuously and the flapper is located over the center of the air cleaner. It also is open when engine off, closed under normal running conditions, and open during heavy acceleration/WOT. There are drain holes that direct the water off the air cleaner lid, on some cars there is a drain tube to direct the water by the engine, on others it just drains onto the back of the engine intake manifold.

7. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

Yep, He must be a chebie guy at heart. 68.5 Stang 428CJ was probably the first "production street car" with a functional scoop. The 69 mustang model year were the beginning of the shaker type that had sorta drip rails, the 72 cheros' had as an option what 72GTVA posted, BUT NO FORD at that time had a configuration like ribald1 describes...silly people with wrong info...

And Dan that's what I am going to do with "Hunnie"

8. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

[​IMG]GT 350 fiberglass scoop fits 73 lines nice.Non-funcutional(special or typical action)429 boss scoop is an option.

9. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Got to love most trans am shakers pointed to the rear and sealed!!!!!

10. ribald1

Thanks for the props. You forgot the 55 tbird.
    Also, what was the time frame I referenced?
    I was not aware that FORD had never used cowl induction. They must be all aftermarket. My bad.
    I have never examined a complete ram air system, so I may have been in error as to it being a funtional scoop. I also know that air holes in the hood go back to the 20's.

11. ribald1

Is the primary air inlet shut off when when the scoop opens?

12. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

MoPar shaker and 6 Pak hood scoops were forward facing and functional also

13. 72GTVA

No, air can still be drawn through the snorkel as well as through the ram air plenum.

14. ribald1

OK
    I am, in truth, not a car guy. I am a gear head.
    If having a hole in the hood that lets air in qualifies as a functioning scoop, I guess that is all right.
    For all practical purposes, though, it is just a hood ornament with a hole in it. Aesthetically, I prefer look of the forward facing scoop hoods over the cowl induction hoods. They tie the automobile to it's racing brethren.

15. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Most factory Cowl induction work the same way they pull air from both scoop and snorkle

16. ribald1

I know. I only brought up the cowl induction for the benefit of the guy that had never seen a 78 Mustang King Cobra. It came with a rear facing hood scoop, stock.
    99% or more of the scoop or cowl induction hoods are just a decoration. GM built a few cars with real cowl induction, and some of the 50's t-birds had a tray that drew air from the cowl area even though there was a forward facing scoop on the top.

17. 72GTVA

This has been a debate that has raged for years and years. The theory behind the Ram Air is it leverages off the forward velocity of the vehicle to create a higher pressure thereby giving something of a supercharging effect. The cowl induction crowd's argument is that the pressure difference is so insignificant that just allowing the engine to draw the additional air that it is able through the air cleaner induction circuit is sufficient, and cowl induction produces less drag. In all these years no one has come up with definitive numbers that makes the argument for either case.

Let's face it - the less restriction you have on air inlet will allow an engine to draw and mix the air/fuel mixture it wants to run in the profile that the engine is tuned to support. While the debate can rage over which is better it really is going to boil to down to what fits the eye of the beholder. I would venture that my seat of the pants dyno tells me I like the Ram Air of the Ford implementation as it is in the 1968 to 1973 model year vehicles that I have experience with while I will honestly tell you that I don't have any dyno numbers that would prove conclusively that one is better than the other.

NASCAR uses a cowl induction in the modern era cars and has done so since the '70s. They do so for drag numbers produced in the wind tunnel against the body design - not the combined ratio of any improvement in HP versus the drag penalty. The NASCAR model can also be viewed within the context of their rule book which prohibits innovation in improving Air Induction and gaining an advantage over their competitors. The early scoop wars in the '69 to '72 racing years resulted in both sides of the argument crying fowl against the others and NASCAR mandated the air cleaner/induction design from there forward.

In any event, none of us are going to drive routinely at speeds where one would see any difference or improvement of Ram Air versus cowl induction.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2010
    geauxtigers likes this.
  18. airford1

airford1 In Maximum Overdrive

What happens if the hood scoop has large openings in both ends?

I'm not trying to be a wise, I just was wondering what effect it would have if you didn't close off the back of a hood scoop?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2010
  19. 72GTVA

I don't know that it would have any impact - I'd even wonder if you weren't setting up a situation where you could create a low pressure situation around your air induction path - fast moving air through a channel over an area of lower pressure has the potential of sucking your available air away from the air cleaner (venturi effect). That wouldn't be good. It would depend on how the air actually flowed and if the design actually created a drawing out effect. I don't think I would try it.

20. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Side question .... my '71 GT hood has the forward scoop which is normally just decorative (closed). But there is also an opening / grill of some sort at the back center of the hood. It is not associated with the normal air inlets for the heater /ac -- what is it for?