It's Green!!!!

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by TestDummy, Dec 19, 2010.

1. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

A fortune??? Wow, did you guys get soaked...

Ever hear of a flattening agent???

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Didn't see that question, sorry. There is a bolt on cover that a friend of mine who owns a machine shop is working on. I'm going to go drink some beer with him and maybe finish it later this week. But we'll prolly just do the former.

You know why it is painted that color. We've had a few discussions about that. You are just trying to egg me on (the very same thing you accuse me of doing) but it ain't working. I am not as thin skinned as some of the others here.

3. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I think it would have looked better RED.

4. TestDummy

There is better stuff out there now. That was the only way to do it before. I know people that put hardener in black primer. Looked nice, didn't last long.

5. TestDummy

Depends what you mean by 'It', you freak.

6. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Merry Christmas to you, too. Thanks for the new sig, by the way.

7. 72GTVA

S'okay was curious what you have decided on doing.

I somehow did NOT imagine a metallic from our chats about the color. At least it isn't camel snot green...

8. 72GTVA

I mix up a single stage like the Centari, add a hardener, then add in the flattening agent to about 45% (the mix Ford sez matches their process) and squirt. After 1 week it is the perfect shade of dull. And lasts. 20 years no problem.

9. TestDummy

Yep, I wasn't imagining that either. It aint' Grabber Green, as far as I can tell. It ain't bad though.
    Looking at the pictures I see the antenna hole has been filled in the fender too. Always surprises. Pretty soon I'll be selling some perfect side marker lights and antenna.

10. TestDummy

I'll find out what he used. Dad says it was $80 quart. Maybe that's not a fortune. Haven't painted a car in 15 years.

11. 72GTVA

That is about par for a single stage squirtit from the cheap lines of the high quality systems - so you probably got jobber prices on the stuff that runs most mortals around $120 paintbuck$$$. Looks good!

But I can't get the old commercial out of my head where Bill Elliot was saying "a greeeeen? recliner????". Can't remember the product or what the commercial was about - just the funny inflection and the way he was talkin' about "greeeen?"...

12. seafoam71

seafoam71 In Third Gear

That green is mean man..ya got my vote. I'm doing a dark green satin hood to go on ol' Seafoam :D

13. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

At least it is not metal flake green.
    I sealed my antenna hole. I am using a shark fin antenna on the roof. Hopefully some of the paint got saved as you will want to paint to match the car. The hidden antennas are cdoublerap.

14. TestDummy

I bet metal flake comes back. Those boats and dune buggy's of the 70's were bad ass.
    Paint was saved for the wheels, so I'm sure there's some for an antenna. Good call on the shark fin.

15. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

Looks great Sean... wow....

16. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

Looks like you are getting a flat on the front passenger side :D

Looks good man.

17. 72GTVA

It's gonna look real good with those skinny tires and painted rims too...

18. TestDummy

Which brings up,...I'm going to order 15X6" front and 15X8" rear rims from Coker. I'd like to have the rear tires fill up the wheel well (got a ton of room back there) and the front to be somewhat thin because it doesn't have power steering. Any tire size suggestions?

19. 72GTVA

I think, were it me, I'd go with 15x7 in the front - that isn't going to change the width of what tire you select on the pavement. And, I'd probably go with the same rims all around and in fact the same tire size on all four corners (but I had a couple of really wild ground loop flat spin episodes in my wasted youth due to tire mismatches front to rear) so I'm a bad one to ask.

What kind of rims are you looking to use??? Magnums? Styled steel? Painted standard rims?

20. TestDummy

Painted steel, with dogdish caps, except I can't find the four good dishes I know I have somewhere. I found 15 bad ones though.

I agree that 4 same size tires are the way to go but Ranchero's look dumb with small tires on the back (they also look dumb with too big).