1972 Ranchero Specs

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by submariner, Sep 5, 2011.

1. submariner

submariner In Second Gear

Hello Guys,

this is my first post and question, so please be patient.

I am in the search (but no Hurry) to find me a 1972 Ranchero , daily driver.

I have a couple of questions and hope you guys can help me:

-where would i find complete specifications of the 1970 to 1975 ranchero models particular the 1972, which i believe is the largest made.
    I am looking for : engine ratings, length , width, empty and gross weight as well as the manufacturer towing capacity as well as loading capacity.

- i have a 1959 airstream, 26ft single axle and plan on pulling it with the Ranchero, but only if i find the correct specs on the car, where it tells me i can.

hope to get some info here .

2. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Just a couple hints; 70 and 71 are still the unibody cars, only weigh around 3400 lbs, probably not your best choice for towing even though some came with 429 motors. 1972 up has a full frame, weigh around 4,000+, apart from the look of the front clip there's little difference in them. 1973 might be the sweetest spot.

Lots of people have 72 - 75 years with 460 motors, bolt-in with stock parts -- hard to do better than that. Next choice would be a 400, still has lots of torque.

3. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

72-76 rancheros (full frame) with a 460/C6 trans and trailer tow package will tow up to 6000 LBs with a class III hitch. The 70-71 rancheros are a unibody type construction and I would not tow anything real heavy (over 4000 LBs) with those modle years. The 72-79 are your full frame cars. The 351W,M and C the 400 and the 429/460 are all good towing engines. The 429/460 is your best for low end tourqe. I have used my 74 ranchero with a class three trailer tow package to move a car trailer with another ranchero on it from memphis, TN to Chicago. IL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2011
  4. submariner

that is some good info. Thanks Guys.

Why do you say 1973 might be the sweetest spot?

5. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The Ranchero is a 1/2 ton truck, and should not be used with a trailer like that without modifications. However, with suspension modifications and a frame mounted trailer hitch any other than the unibody years are up to the job. I would strongly advise having brakes on the trailer.
    The 72 is longer by a small amount due to the front end shape.

6. submariner

the Airstream i have is a single axle with electric brakes. the overall weight is 3950lbs with a 250lbs hitch weight.

i might end up a little higher on the weight after restoration is complete, but not much. i do have weight distribution hitches and sway control.

7. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Why do you say 1973 might be the sweetest spot? >submariner

++++++++++++

Ehhh ... small details. The 73-74-75 has a real front bumper, might be useful for something, and it would be more likely than a 1972 to survive a small bump -- it's conceivable you could push another car with it if you had to. Of those three, I slightly prefer the look of the 1973 over the two later choices. I think they all had front disk brakes starting in 1973. Any of those three will be cheaper to buy than a 1972, all else being equal. They're all equal in terms of your original specs.

8. submariner

so i guess the 72 still had drum brakes front ?

i surely would prefer some good disc brakes.
    can you get somewhere a rear disk break conversion?

i did noticed, that the dash has changed from 72 to 73 with more instruments.

9. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

72 had disc up front and yes 4 wheel disc is a fairly easy swap..

mine is a 73 with a 72 front clip and 74 up lincoln mark iv disc brakes front and rear..

73 up 5 mpph bumper looks like crap to me....

10. submariner

to be honest, im not quiet a fan of the 5mph bumper either. thats why i would prefer the 72.. but then again, the 73 are less expensive.

11. hotz

hotz In Second Gear

I can say this for sure-- My dad towed a 23" covered wagon trailer for years with, what is my now, 72 with a 351c with out ever having any diffucility even in the hills and mountains of Penna. It was equipped with electric brakes, stabilizer hitch and a tranny cooler. Very very seldom downshifted an never bagged in the rear

12. submariner

thanks guys for all the info . i knew i was signing up for the right place :)

now.. i just need to find the right rancho for me :D