Fiberglass body parts

Discussion in 'Ranchero Parts for Sale LINKS' started by pmac, Oct 1, 2011.

1. pmac

pmac In Second Gear

This site: http://www.usbody.com/ has fiberglass hoods/fenders/even doors for some models of Falcons, Fairlanes, Torinos. Scoops they sell seem to be more race car oriented - but they do sell '72 GT hoods!

They sell original style option Tiger hoods, too.

Peter

2. Hyrb

Hyrb In Third Gear

Anyone have any experience with these guys?

3. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I am using their hood.
    Like all fiberglass parts there is a LOT more to using them than just bolting them on.
    Fiberglass parts need to be trimmed to fit, lack brackets and mounting pads and will sag when hot if not supported properly.
    A lot of work, but also a lot of weight removed inexpensively.

4. airford1

airford1 In Maximum Overdrive

How much weight did you save.

5. ribald1

I didn't put it on a scale, so that is a tough question.
    On top of that, I fabbed a fiberglass extension onto the "scoop" and fabbed up a hinge arraignment that has the hood stand up over the front bumper when open.
    In the end, I would say the hinge assembly is a wash, I am more than 20 pounds lower on the hood. And I was able to have the plasma cutter take at least 3 pounds of supporting structure away.
    If you could accept a 4 pin drop on hood you could drop 40 easy.
    Beats spending $100 on a carbon fiber part that drops 1/2 OZ by at least .01 s

6. airford1

I just finished molding a front bumper and installed it. My wife said it's getting alittle crazy, but all in all it saved 22 pounds from the extreme front end. I think that was worth the effort. I used the bumper for a plug. I think it turned out pretty good. I will post some pictures later this week.

7. ribald1

As the cost per HP starts climbing on the engine cutting weight starts looking better and better.
    You can get almost a pound out of the center bumper brace with a hole saw without losing strength.
    The inner wheel wells are too large, even if you drive in the rain.
    I cut all the down facing metal (below the lip the hood sits on) and replaced it with a 3/8ths in rod when I cut out the hood supports.
    The battery tray weighs a bit, and has no purpose once the battery has been relocated to the rear.
    I cut the entire radiator support and center section out, replacing it with 1" square tube.
    Cutting the lips off the cross support and welding gains a couple pounds.
    I relocated the tranny cooler to above the axle and used one with a built in fan.

8. 60To63Ranchero

60To63Ranchero SITE SUPPORTER- GOLD

I'd really love to see a photo of your engine compartment!

Thank you,
    Bob the Builder

9. ribald1

These are before I cut up the fender wells etc. Right now the fenders are off, so I can't give you a current assembled pic
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2011
  10. 60To63Ranchero

Motor looks fast!

Nice aluminum heads and roller rocker setup! Is that a gear drive? What's your displacement and do you run quarter miles with that engine?

Bob the Builder

11. ribald1

It is a 521, solid roller cam, roller cam bearings,gear cam drive, coated pistons with ceramic tops etc.
    Have only done 1/8 mile runs on the street so far, does a bit over 100 in the 1/8th.
    Here is a current pic, with the crank trigger set up.

Attached Files:

12. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

Pics???

Where`s the pics you promised???
    I`m interested...

13. airford1

I'll try to snap some and post in the next day or two. I have been busy Dragging and Bragging. :cool:

14. ribald1

Everything takes more time than is should.
    That is why we are keeping your thread at the top.

15. 60To63Ranchero

The 521 is a 460 bored over or a non-production engine? What is your ET in the 1/8th? What do you think your 1/4 mile times should be?

Bob the Builder

16. ribald1

It is a stroked 460.
    I don't know the ET, I lack the equipment to measure it. Will have to wait for the track.
    As to the 1/4, if it handles well at high speeds I think that with practice I will be able to get into the 10's. My electronic dashboard dyno gave readings between 700 and 750 HP during pulls, so I have the power. I just need suspension that is up to it. I am also changeing to a dual quad intake as it is not pulling as hard as it should in the 6000-7500 RPM range.