60 Ranchero project

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by dave r, Dec 17, 2011.

1. dave r

dave r In Second Gear

60 project. Moving slow, but getting there. Have a 5.0 motor with a 5 speed tranny for it. Shortened explorer rear with 18" wheels and tire's. Planning on a gloss black roof and satin blue body.

Dave

https://www.supermotors.net/24189

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2011
    DonC likes this.
  2. 74Rancherito

74Rancherito In Fourth Gear

fantastic work......can't wait to see the motor drop in.....

awesome....

3. 64ranchero289

64ranchero289 In Overdrive

Looking good

4. 60To63Ranchero

60To63Ranchero SITE SUPPORTER- GOLD

Awesome sheet metal and suspension work!

It's exciting to see that kind of quality work on a round body - it makes me think what might be possible with my '62. Suspension work on front and frame mods for suspension on rear look first class.

I see that you cut out the sheet metal that surrounds the shock towers in the engine compartment. It's impressive how much larger that makes the engine compartment. It also looks like you extended the bed down just behind the cab. I've always felt that volume was wasted on a stock round body.

Bob the Builder

5. E's67ranchero

E's67ranchero In Second Gear

Very nice work! You have room for two motor's now. :) Looks like you are well on your way. Have fun with it ' the time you spend will be well spent.

6. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

:DA 5.0 motor with a 5 speed in a smaller ranchero like that? You are gonna be flying off the pavement! Keep us informed on your progress

7. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

Very nice I envy you the courrage to go for a big job like that, and it looks great, keep us opdated.:D

8. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Looks good dave, nice work. I see you extended the wheel wells a bit too.

9. airford1

airford1 In Maximum Overdrive

Too Cool!!!!!!!!!

10. dave r

dave r In Second Gear

Thanks everyone for the comments. Yes, we moved the springs to the inside of the frame and widened the wells as much as we could without cutting existing frame.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2011
  11. dave r

dave r In Second Gear

Storage compartment

Making the storage access from interior only.
    dave[​IMG]

12. steeread

steeread Guest

13. dave r

dave r In Second Gear

access area

Sir, not sure exactly what you mean. When I bought this years ago, someone had replaced the floor pans. I'm assuming this storage area is hard to keep sealed and still have access from above. This is why it had the most rust issues. I thought if I accessed from inside, I could weld and seam seal the top to make it water tight.

thanks , Dave

14. DonC

Looks good Dave.
    I thought about building a section like you did for storage access, just didnt' feel like messing around with all of that metal work. Looks like your doing a great job with it, makes me wish I would have gone that route myself. I will be doing some dash work similar to yours myself but don't plan on filling all of the holes only a few I won't use.

15. dave r

dave r In Second Gear

Thanks Don, been watching your build too. Nice work! We're basically doing the same build with minor differences. I asked about your front suspension, but you never replied.

16. E's67ranchero

E's67ranchero In Second Gear

That Truck looks better ever time i look at it. Nice Job:)

17. ezyalb

ezyalb In Third Gear

....very cool

18. DonC

Sorry I missed that post. I installed the Heidts front suspension on mine. I think most are very similar. My install was pretty easy, how'd yours go?

19. dave r

dave r In Second Gear

Yes Don, they're similar. I thought TCI went together nice. Everything fit perfect. All the frame reinforcments worked nice too. Was very happy with the kit. I also went with the Explorer rear end, shortening the long side to match the short. It also has disc brakes.

dave

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2012
  20. steeread

steeread Guest

My problem is that truck is so original, that no one has tried to remove the front bed pan before me, so 50+ years original. The first bolt I tried (using #4 phillips on a 3/8 ratchet) broke the captive nut loose and now just spins in the hole. The Falcon pan underneath prevents you from getting any heat or penetrating oil on the captive nuts, so question again is how did you remove front bed pan? Or was this problem already solved before you owned the truck?

All I want to do is change the rear shocks.