The Cool "Q" 72 rebuild

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by Cool72, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Cool72

Cool72 In Third Gear

I am starting a new thread for my build project. I have posted pictures of the car in the pic thread but wanted to document the build. Today was the first real day of work. Managed to rmove the engine and get it secured on a pallet and ready to send to the machine shop. Great news when i pulled it ou, the numbers match making this a real collectable.

here it is when I picked it up for $1xxx.00
    [​IMG]

Here is what the engine compartment looks like

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
  2. Cool72

Cool72 In Third Gear

Pictures of the removal prep

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Cool72

Cool72 In Third Gear

Finally out and wrapped up on its way to a machine shop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
  4. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

What is the exact plan with the engine? Rebuild as per original or through some mods on that engine?
    That's cool it came with the CJ and Hurst set up.

5. Cool72

Cool72 In Third Gear

Since I don't have the stock intake or carb (edelbrock and Holley on hand)and the engine is already .40 over and rebuilt 2500 miles ago, I think I would like to use the parts I have since they are in good shape. Only problem I see so far is the previous owner floated a valve by over reving as you can see in one of the pictures. I am going to have it taken down, and cleaned magged, tested for cracks, new vales, guides etc.... if the cam and crank are in good shape i'll re-use. I am on a serious budget restriction so I need to get the most for my bucks and try and use the budget for other things like the trans, tires, rims, interior and paint. If you or anyone that has serious experience with these builds and has any comments or critiques I am open, this is my first build and I am not 100% sure what I should be making a priority. I do know I want to drive this beast now...:cool:

6. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Not trying to bust you bubble but these are not really collectible. You did find a really good score on this one though 4 speeds are hard to find, and the parts alone are worth what you paid for the car.

It looks like you got a pretty good start. With the motor already .040 over I would have is sonic checked for wall thickness as that can be a problem in Cleveland's with core shift thin wall can cause a overheating motor.

One more thing you need to remove the motor mounts, flywheel and anything else bolted to the motor before it goes to the machine shop they do not need it and there is a good chance of something getting misplaced.

7. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

So why you always bustin' on folks, Carl, and bustin' bubbles? The car is worth to the owner what it is worth to them.

Cool '72: Stock intake and Carb are available or you can get a stock squarebore 4V intake for it as well - they aren't terribly expensive. The stock Carb was a Ford 4300D Spreadbore D2ZF - AA, or BA, or a couple of others depending on the DSO - tell me what your DSO on the data plate on the driver's side door pillar are and I can pass on the correct part and it's replacements. You may be happier with the holley pattern intake, regardless.

As Carl mentioned, get it sonic checked to make sure the .040 is okay.

That car is a nice find - I've run my primary '72 for 38+ years, it may not be worth what folks think it is on the market but I'm happy with it.

8. 74Rancherito

74Rancherito In Fourth Gear

very nice...
    But a stroked bottom end(393,408) would wake those heads up!
    jus sayin''....:D

9. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

thats a very nice find! All the kewl goodies!

10. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Just do not want them to be disappointed when they drop 15k and a bunch of labor into a car and find that no one wants to give them more than 10k for it:eek: and I did give him positive reenforcement after the negative..;) like my SLS classes have been tellin me to..

11. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

Nice to see you are still around. I hope this is not a 'hit and run'. :D

12. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Yup, a hit and run. Have to be back BOG (boots on ground) in a week.

13. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Good to have you back!
    Even if for such a short time.

14. 210eddiep

210eddiep In Overdrive

Nice deal you got there. I would love to have a 72 with four on the floor.

15. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Toss a 5 speed in yours and be up by one!;)

16. 210eddiep

210eddiep In Overdrive

Yeah, that's even cooler:cool:
    But first you gotta have the cash:(

17. Cool72

Cool72 In Third Gear

Thanks for all the positive feedback and i really don't look at the other as negative. i do agree that collectable may be a strong word for the car. i am not doing this to re sell, i had a chero in high shcool and am just doing to it the things i couldn't do then. As for the motor i have a good guy on it, all the parts were taken off by the way before i dropped it off. i am going to see what they say after the motor is checked out at to were i want to go. this is going to be a long build as finances are tight. i just wanted to get the drivetrain first so i can drive it then work on the rest as i can afford. here's the picture of the door post but i have the build card.
    Engine code: KK621S
    Engine build date: 2C23
    Distributor: D2ZF 12127 FA
    Carburetor: D2ZF 9510 AA

the carb code surprised me because i read that it was not available in california at the time. :cool:

[​IMG]

18. 71 Whitesale

71 Whitesale In Fourth Gear

Its a great project, I too am restoring one like I had in high school. Mine is a budget build but I did manage to trade a broken Honda ATV for a built 351W. Good luck with your project, post pics and keep us posted!

19. 2beast

2beast In Third Gear

Looks like a great start on the 72.

Keep us posted on your progress :cool:

Greg

20. Cool72

Cool72 In Third Gear

Hey Greg,
    I noticed you had a Q 72 also. I found one picture in an old post and it looks very nice. Where can i see more pictures? What color code is that. Mine is Ivy. Any way I would love to see more pictures.:cool: