Ranchero Topper

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by Dan the ranchero man, Oct 31, 2012.

1. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Hear are a couple of shaky pictures of my spray guns - note the pressure regulators at the normal air inlet location, and the 18" leader to quick disconnect. When I am squirting paint I add in an inline filter out at the quick disconnects...

[​IMG]

Another - sorry for the shaky pics - if I could get home I'd get you better pictures of the spray gun set ups...

[​IMG]

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Are those HVLP guns?

3. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Only the light blue one is HVLP, third from left - the others are standard. I don't like the HVLP as I don't feel like I get the material to flow as well and don't perceive that I can control the amount of material as well. The two standard guns I used to squirt the paint on my mach 1 if you recall that car.

4. ribald1

Personally, I prefer the gravity feed except when using an air brush.
    I have a floor pressure pot for larger jobs.
    I find the reduced over spray with the HVLP more than makes up for the extra time involved in getting it set up right. Less buffing afterward.

5. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

NEED Help!

I need to find the code number for my paint. (87 GM Med red garnet metallic) The guy that painted the ranchero never gave me the code number and I need it to order paint. I will keep looking but if someone would have it handy please post it. Thanks Dan

6. ribald1

Bring your gas door into any decent paint store, and they will be able to match it.

7. Dan the ranchero man

8. Dan the ranchero man

I did that (one better brought the car!) and they told me they couldn't (or would not) do anything without a paint code. They did not want to be responsible for wrong color. I even gave them the correct paint name and they would not do it.

9. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

10. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Sorry that paint store sucks, I had my local Dupont suppler match a color on a jelly jar label

11. ribald1

The auto paint store I use has a color analyzer. They take the info it gives and then use paint ship sheets to match the flatness and amount (or lack of) metallic.
    The end result is often a better match than using the code. Paint changes color and becomes flatter over time and sun exposure.
    When color match is very critical, I buy a very small amount, blend mask the top half of the gas door and shoot the bottom. If it is not close enough adjustments can be made.
    It may take a couple of trips to the paint shop, but it requires a lot less effort than redoing a paint job.

12. Dan the ranchero man

I am looking into other paint stores in the area. Thanks Guys.

13. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

Went back to the paint mixing area and here's your paint code out of my paint books. 87 gm code 72/8979 Medium Garnet Red Metallic. The Dupont number is B8713. Any brand of paint can be crossed from either of these numbers. I figure any paint store could look this up by just looking in their 1987 color book.

14. Dan the ranchero man

Thanks! the reference I used was the website I posted. It was showing 75/8980. Could they be the same? answering my own question: Went on the website and typed in both numbers here is what I saw 72/WA8979- "Med Garnet Metallic" Now 75/WA8980- "Med Garnet RED Metallic"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2013
  15. 1979 RANCHERO GT

Don't go by that info, Dan. The 8979 color has more red pigment than 8980 which has a more violet hue to it. 8980 is for 1988 GM. With both chips in the sunlight you will see that the two colors are very different. Check a chip with your paint to see which color you have. Using 8980 on the shell will give you a definite two-tone.

16. Dan the ranchero man

Thanks! your color is the one I will use . (72/8979) I have the topper in two nice coats of filler primer now. The plan will be to wetsand tomorrow and get the epoxy primer done late this week. Thanks for your help!

17. ribald1

Just curious.
    Why are you shooting epoxy over the high build primer?
    Rust is obviously not an issue.
    Do a crosshatch sand with 320 on your primer.
    Do a very light coat of base over the entire thing. It will all flash before you are done.
    Note the flash time, as that will determine when you start the step after this one.
    Do a medium coat of base focusing on keeping the gun parallel with the surface. If it is horizontal, the gun should be pointing straight down. Focus on keeping a gun speed that creates an even coat and learn it as it is important for the final coat.
    Don't go dropping the Obamas at the pool, or go for a beer run.
    The clock owns you now.
    Before anyone bitches, yes, I do base coat in two passes with urethane and waterborne unless covering another color. He will next time also.
    Do the clear coat as though you were doing the last base coat.
    When it flashes, look at it horizontally with a light source in front of you.
    If there is orange peel, slow down a TINY amount when putting down the second coat.
    Third coat the same.
    If you have any clear left over, and you want a stunning finish, shoot it all and buff it out.

18. franmosso

franmosso In Fourth Gear

I would like to add that if it is a metalic base, you should spray in different directions to lessen the chance of the metalic blushing.

19. 1979 RANCHERO GT

You will have to use more than a couple of coats of color before clearing as Dupont identifys this as a "poor hiding color" meaning it's a very transparent color. Not enough coats, the color will have a pinkish look from the sealer coat below so make sure you use enough paint, and this color ain't cheap, probably about 140 bucks a pint so do it right the first time. The sealer we use is Dupont Chromaseal, This color would use equal parts of 7770S and 7740S to get the value shade 5 that is recommended. Before clearing look it over good to see any thin edges or striping.

20. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

Don`tchyaknow, that is an idea there!!!
    Highlight some areas with the two different codes???
    I Like it!!!

Lookin` GREAT Dan!!!
    D