Looking for a Car Cover for my '64

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Blanco, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Blanco

Blanco In Overdrive

Any you recommend any?
    & why?
    I dont have a nice paint job or anything fancy, I just want to keep dirt off it being its mostly sitting in my dirt backyard lately, Don't know if I wanna spend lot of money being its condition, sure after I get it painted ( One Day ) I'll get a nicer one.

Thanks.

2. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

Just make sure it is breathable. Otherwise it can trap moisture underneath of it.

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

If you are parking it on dirt do not cover it... It will act like a green house.:eek:

4. Blanco

Blanco In Overdrive

So would a basic tarp be a better idea? :confused:

I suppose a tarp would be much cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2013
  5. Lulu2

Lulu2 In Third Gear

A tarp can trap moisture as well. If you're just worried about keeping dirt off of it, just get a car duster and dust if off now and then.

6. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

I use California Car Cover (Super weave) covers on my Ranchero and my daily driver - even in the parking lot at work. They run about $250 for a small car to $400 for my '75 GT. They are guaranteed for 4 years, last about 2 years for my daily driver which sits outside, but are replaced with no question - even 2 days before the warranty runs out. Nice folk there too.

Understand that I don't care that much about rain or dirt, I want to keep the sun (photons) away because they kill the paint, rubber, vinyl, etc.

I just wish I had known enough to get a cover when I bought my '75 GT new.

7. 5.0 Chero

No same thing you will be surprised how much moisture comes up through the ground and a cover or tarp will just trap it get one of the portable garage awnings from Cosco and cut it down so you can just drive under it
    that will help protect it and let it breath

8. Blanco

Blanco In Overdrive

Being I live in Los Angeles, Do I really need to worry about moisture?

9. 5.0 Chero

I did not until I covered the Tbird while it was sitting beside the shop one summer when I uncovered it the all the aluminum on the motor had corroded and the interior was mildewed:eek:

10. Lord Snow

Lord Snow In Fourth Gear

Just a question, but would it be at all possible to put a high grade plastic sheet under the car to keep the moisture from being able to rise up from the ground so he could cover it?

11. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Tried the plastic under the car trick and was severely dissapointed. Ever been in the Boy Scouts or took any survival training ? If so you'd know that there is an abundance of moisture in the air even in the driest desert. The difference in temperature between daylight and dark hours causes moisture to collect out of the air on anything that holds heat longer than the surrounding air, results in moisture condensing on your ride every night. May not be as severe in LA. as it is in the South but here some mornings you can open the hood and you'd swear someone just hosed down your engine with a garden hose. Carl and Clark have the idea scopped out = Keep the sun off and let the breeze blow thru.

12. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

That is why a barn roof can last 100 years.

13. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Odd you'd mention barn roofs Bro. - - I just had one that old repaired after multiple wind storms damaged it. 30' by 70' with a high peak but only 5 sheets of tin had to be replaced. That old metal was way thicker and had more galvanise coating than the new stuff. Progress, eh ?