Power Window Swap

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by rat-racing, Feb 8, 2014.

1. rat-racing

rat-racing In Second Gear

Anyone know if the power windows in a 1976 Cougar will work in my 1976 Ranchero? I have access to a salvage car but did not want to pursue unless I confirm compatibility

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

I'm pretty sure they will... same basic platform as the Torino Class car in that era and a 2 door model pretty much assures the regulators are the same. Get the wiring harness that extends into the cabin in addition to the door wiring, motor/regulator assemblies and make a note where the the purple/white wire connects to the 14401 harness...

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Glass is different there is a cutout in the bottom of the glass to clear the motor

4. rat-racing

Please clarify, which window glass has the cutout to clear the motor, the Cougar of the Ranchero? either way does this mean I can not use the Cougar mechanical pieces to swap into the Ranchero??

Thanks

5. 72GTVA

The mechanical parts should be fine... but you might need to get the window glass for a ranchero to be correct in your install. The regulators and wiring should be the same, just the glass is different on the Ranchero than was used on the Cougar.

6. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

The mechanical parts fit great. When you take them out of the Cougar get one of the door glass to use as a pattern. A GOOD glass shop can modify your Ranchero glass by sandblasting that cutout on the bottom to clear the motor. Sandblast is the only way I know that works to cut tempered glass unless someone has perfected using a water-jet cutter. Be ready to remove the entire dash from the Cougar too. You will need that wiring harness across the firewall from door to door for the windows and it is easier to just swap in the Cougar's main wire harness at the same time if you want to use the guage cluster. Use the wire harness under the hood too from the Cougar. It sounds complicated but it isn't, it's more time consuming than anythng. The wiring to the rear of the Ranchero can be left alone as it plugs into the main harness near the driver's side kick panel.

7. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

As 5.0 Chero mentioned earlier. Ford/Mercury intermediates of the 70's have their power window glass is cut to a different pattern as compared to a manual window glass, to allow the glass to miss the power window motor/brackets when fully retracted(down). Ranchero glass whether power or manual is cut different as compared to other intermediates(Torino, Cougar, Elite, T-bird and etc) of similar build years. The rear portion of the Ranchero glass is cut to lean toward the front of the vehicle due to the different angle of the "C" pillar, whereas the other intermediates have the rear portion of their window glass almost straight up and down where it meets the rubber weatherstrip on the rear quarter window. Hope this helps. Todd

8. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

To answer your question with a simple answer is yes the Cougar regulators will work on your Ranchero glass. The part numbers are the same. The only time the glass would need changed is for Cougar's manual to power swap, Rancheros only use one glass, power or manual. Just get ALL the wiring and switches and note where things plug and to what.

9. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I don't know about the 76, but the 72 uses a different glass with power windows.

10. 1979 RANCHERO GT

The glass for 72 is different than 73-76 but the same glass is used for power or manual in 73-76. The manual regulator is the same 72-79 and power regulator is the same 73-79. To much info to list part numbers.

11. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

I stand corrected :eek:, a '77-'79 have the exact same door glass whether power or manual, not sure on earlier models. I should have looked at the extra set of doors I have in my warehouse before I responded. Thank you for the correct info. Todd

12. 5.0 Chero

My 73 glass had did not have the cut out for the power windows:confused:

13. 72GTVA

Yeah, Ford didn't even offer Power Windows in the Ranchero until June 1972 production and later, and it was fairly rare in '73. To simplify the glass stocks needed, they standardized the door glass in 1974 to reflect the power window profile.

All that said - I retrofitted power windows into a '72 (not one of the four I currently have) - the regulators, motors and wiring came out of a '73 T-Bird but there was never an issue with the manual glass - no interferences that I ever noticed and the windows rolled down to the stops just as the manual window.

But, as '79 Ranchero pointed out, with a '76 and the donor being a "Torino" or mid-sized class car, he shouldn't have any problems with his upgrade.

14. 1979 RANCHERO GT

Forgot 73 & up T-Bird, Mark IV and V without mini vents used the same regulators as Rancheros. They are just oversized Torinos.

15. rat-racing

Regarding the wiring harness needed to install power windows, what is needed other than the obvious parts in the door itself? Specifically do you need to swap out the fuse block and the entire under dash harness with the one from the donor car?? If not where do the door harnesses plug-in etc

16. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Third Gear

just done this on my 72. didn't need to change the glass as mine had the cut out

17. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

18. 72GTVA

The wiring for the power windows is a supplemental harness, it connects to the main harness at a yellow plug and uses the white/purple stripe wire.

FWIW - the window regulators for 1972 - 1976 Thunderbirds are direct bolt up in a '72 and up Ranchero.

ForistellFord likes this.
  19. 5.0 Chero

just think poor rat racer waited 4 1/2 years for an answer

20. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

PATIENT (able to accept or tolerate delays,) MEMBER