72 Grille Molding

Discussion in 'Ranchero Parts Wanted' started by mitch.oliver71, Jul 1, 2015.

1. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

72 gt 429 how is that 72 hummin along

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  2. 72 gt 429

72 gt 429 In Second Gear

Its in the drivetrain stage - blocks almost done as far as boring and balancing most of the motor parts are bought , cha ching cha ching cha ching / ha / starting to take its toll on the wallet , trans done , rear end done have to rebuild the front suspension still and do all the strut bushings in the rear , gas tank re-coat & paint . Be a while prob till next summer to be completely done prob driving around by jan . Don't forget all the chroming aluminum polishing interior work . I'll keep posting pics as I learn and work along . Hope all is going good Andy . / Greg

3. andrewok1

;)WOW sounds like you will remember that guy John for a long time ,GOOD TO SEE it did not stop you from moving on,looked at you post,full swing,thats progress keep going you my be driving it by ThanksG:Diving,oh if the wallet can keep up ,:)

4. 72 gt 429

72 gt 429 In Second Gear

Thanksgiving would be nice but I don't think so , I've become very patient , I've been looking at those cars for three years + waiting and saving so I've become a realist in knowing it's going to take some time .
    You have a really nice set up for your car there , that building you built doesn't look like any chance of doors opening on your car like a standard two car garage room all around that's a lucky Ranchero .

5. andrewok1

It is one lucky Ranchero ,I PUT WAY TOO MUCH WORK INTO IT TO HAVE IT GET DINGS EVERYWHERE ASPECIALYAT HOME ,YES THE REALITY IS THESE VEHICLES TAKE WAY MORE TIME THEN AND EFFORT TO COMPLETE !!THEN THE AVERAGE,GUY THAT JUST LIKES TO LOOK AT THEM !!I KNOW I SWEAT BLOOD AND TEARS ALL OVER MINE JUST TO GET IT LIKE IT IS AND I CAN FIND MORE TO DO T IT JUST TO MAKE I T SPARKLE A LITTLE MORE .I AM AMAZED BY THE REBUILD OF YOUR TRANS AND REAR ,YOUR ONE LUCKY GUY TO BE ALBE TO DO THAT SPECIALIZED TYPE OF WORK ,I SUBED MINE OUT .///ANDY

6. 72 gt 429

72 gt 429 In Second Gear

I hear ya on making things just right and alway's seeing litttle things you would like to improve even after you think it's looking just right - that's the part that we just have for our cars and hobby's keeps us going . I appreciate the the pat on the back for the trans and rear end rebuild - save that for the motor if it starts and runs like it's supposed to . I have the experience for the motor after the block is bored rods and crank is balanced to put it together and go from there cross my fingers , but like you I had reliable people do my trans and rear end as that is out of my league . I will do everything I can but there are somethings I leave to the experts . I still think if you take out a starter and take it down to the auto store get another one and re-install it doesn't mean you rebuilt it but you deserve some credit . LOL - I own a construction company for 37 years and consider myself seasoned with anything there but sometimes you have to just say I don't know it all - ha - I'll be happy to do what I can stripping the car down
    and putting it back together for anyone to do that at any stage deserves a ribbon takes tons of time and dedication to start it and get it done . Like you said most people just walk by and look and admire the beauty but will
    never know the effort it took to make it that way .

7. dbailey

dbailey In Second Gear

I guess I got lucky on the parts I purchased from John! What I purchased was:
    1. Set of like new GT Molded Door Panels $300.00
    2. Floor Shift Console (like new) with Shifter $250.00
    3. Inner Tailgate Panel $50.00
    4. Grill (like new) $125.00
    5. Bucket Seat Belt Set with Sholder Harness (like new) $50.00
    6. Dash Trim (between vents) $15.00
    7. Rear Bumper with very good chrome $100.00
    I did see a few other parts that I would have liked to have bought but had already spent my budget. He had two sets of Wheel Lip Moldings, one set "like new" for $400.00 the other in need of repair for $250.00. A original set of Bucket Seats in very good condition for $400.00.
    I agree I'm not sure I would buy a whole car from John, unless I had really checked it out closely on a dry sunny day!
    Dan

8. 72 gt 429

72 gt 429 In Second Gear

Na Dan you got some great parts - I also got at least 2000 in parts - nice parts before i went there for the car - I'm not trashing John other than saying he knew the rust was greater than he had said from many phone calls and emails theres nothing for cars to do up there but rust something I didn't realize the extent of being from southern calif no water no rain - he's in the forest shade all day the moss doesn't grow on the north side of the trees there it grows around the whole tree ,it's cold and rainy all winter and snows shade all summer all the cars he gets he takes the good stuff off puts them in his shed and the cars sit / after seeing them all just sit after that and rust i'm going what a waist torinos rancheros all over the place all rusted . He had one car that I wanted it was a 72 429 gt and they are very hard to find in decent restorable condition . I drove non stop by myself from southern calif and like I said it took all day just to meet him in town and finally get to the car no sleep, by the time I got to the car it was dark so I guess it was my mistake trusting him on the rust issues, he said I could stay in his trailer for the night and leave in the morning but I'm not much on that even if I know ya . So i'm 5 miles back in the woods dark car loaded and I bailed out . You want parts from john you'll prob get good parts you want a car after this story then you deserve what's coming . I'm more pissed off that I bought him breakfast to be honest . I'f he wrote me tomorrow and said he was sorry that the car was that bad of shape and didn't realize it I'd prob say no worry's got some parts ? That's how easy going I am but like anyone else you burn me were done . Ask my two ex wifes - Lol - Either way on that deal I was going to get burned buy it at night trusting or look at it in the morning and go shit its all rusted to hell and drive home 1000.00 less in my pocket for the trip . Missing the point here someone tells you I got some rusted parts you know what your getting , someone tells you I have something for ya just a tad of rust and you open the box and there's holes the size of dimes and you can put your fingers through the floorboard your prob going to be pissed . Ok so that's it tell John - Dan that I got some some prime property in Louisiana I promise there's no gators . Soon as I get done with this car I'll be selling all my extra parts I have prob 3k in parts or more I wont need .

ForistellFord likes this.
  9. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

I got lucky and found a grill with minor damage, perfect shell and the moulding is scratched lightly and has a couple small dings for $200 last weekend.

10. 72 gt 429

72 gt 429 In Second Gear

72 grill ? I have 3 perfect ones should have put something out there would have sold one . Darn next time , glad you found one though .

11. 72 gt 429

72 gt 429 In Second Gear

you Must be talking about grill trim piece the aluminum trim - those are hard to find - I have two in perfect condition I will sell one when the project is done . the other hard one is the grill surround I have one of those has a crack at the top that can be repaired all tabs good have to take it off to check closely .

12. dbailey

dbailey In Second Gear

I think after what John pulled on you I would make sure when your showing him your property in Louisiana he is wearing a "New Pair of Cement Boots" and tie a "Dead Chicken" around his neck, I hear "Alligators Love Chicken"! I normally don't have a bad temper, but once someone has screwed over me or a friend I can only hope somehow he gets his due rewards! After what you've told us about your bad dealings with John, I feel bad about recommending him to a fellow member of this site.
    Dan

13. 72 gt 429

72 gt 429 In Second Gear

Lol !

14. azcolin

azcolin In Maximum Overdrive

15. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

ROFLMFAO

16. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

emphasis on the second 'F' I would presume...

Y'all bear in mind this is a thread outside the lounge/whacky world no-restraint zone... do try to not junk up the thread with superfluous posts - the OP is still trying to locate a grill/surround molding in usable condition.

ForistellFord likes this.