Shifter won't move from low gear

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by FordR500GT, Jul 31, 2017.

1. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

My 72 Ranchero GT has developed a problem. We were trying to move it and when my dad got in it to back it up he tried putting it in park and it wouldn't move so then he tried putting it in another gear and he ended up getting it stuck infirst. At first I thought the linkage had broken and gotten jammed but I looked underneath and everything looks intact but I can't move the shifter at all and I can't shut the key off. There is also a slight grinding noise when you turn the steering wheel. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  2. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Issue maybe the shift cable or in the colume.Disconnect linkage at tranny,see if arm moves freely.

3. FordR500GT

I'm trying to figure out how to get a tool in there. Dang glasspack is right next to it. Working on the ground with ants doesn't help either... :p

ForistellFord likes this.
  4. FordR500GT

Seems to be a problem in the column. i'll just have to leave it alone for now

5. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Just for gigs,knock the roll pin out on shifter arm,remove and inspect.May get lucky..

6. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

I had a similar problem with my '65, 3 on the tree automatic. I could shift gears from under the hood by moving the bell crank towards the end of the steering column which connects to the shift linkage. But I could move the shift lever inside the vehicle all I wanted and it would do nothing. The tab on the end of the shift tube had broken off. Had to replace the shift tube. Pain in the butt, but wasn't all that bad although getting the new shift tube in place was quite a treat.

Bwirsching likes this.
  7. FordR500GT

What really sucks is that I can't even get the steering wheel off to inspect anything else. Its a racing wheel with stripped 4 mm hex screws

8. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Easy fix just re-tap them the next size Sae thread are you sure the 4mm most wheel adapters use 6 or 8 if they are metric

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Small locking pliers should be able to get them broken loose.

10. FordR500GT

Ok, bringing back a dead thread. I took off the shift linkage, and it still wont move. I will drill out the bolts holding in the steering wheel. Before I tear into the column, is there something I should be looking for? Shifter wont move at all

11. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Ahhh ... hard to figure out what you did? With the linkage disconnected at the trans, you =can't= move the lever it attaches to? By that I mean the shaft that goes into the transmission, not the linkage. If you can't move it then the problem is inside the transmission.

The steering wheel should come off by just removing the center nut (15/16" maybe). Figure some way to get a wheel puller to grip what remains. As I understand what you wrote, removing the wheel by drilling will still leave the adapter attached to the column.

Please ignore this if I guessed it all wrongly.

12. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

What kind of Ants..Fire Ants?
    [​IMG]

13. handy_andy_cv64

Just pop the column out. Then you can work on it on a table, instead of in the dash

14. FordR500GT

Linkage is disconnected at the column. As to irradicate all issues concerning the linkage itself. Has a racing wheel with hex screws, then the adapter plate comes off.

15. FordR500GT

Yep, and lots of em

16. FordR500GT

Never done that before. Don't know what it involves

17. handy_andy_cv64

Actually fairly easy, as I've had both the '74 and '79 columns out. The shifter cable is undone, and there's no cluster, so go underhood and find the steering shaft 'biscuit,' coupled to the steering gearbox input shaft. Undo and remove the pinch bolt. Go inside, remove the shifter cable from the bracket, if the bracket is on the column end. Undo the electrical connections on the neutral start, ignition and turn signal switches. Remove the bolts that hold the rubber boot at the firewall, then go remove the bolts that hold the main part of the column to the dash framework. Have someone remove the biscuit from the input shaft and guide it through the firewall as you lift up and pull the column through.

18. FordR500GT

Wow. Sounds like a full days work. I will get to work on it next week, I suppose, but what then after I get the column out?

19. handy_andy_cv64

It will allow you to work on the column on a workbench or table. I'm wondering if something came undone, and has jammed the shifter arm. you might be able to see into the back of the column head, as well as inspect the shift tube, simply because it's out of the car. But I assure you, even if you do all the work yourself (I have), it's likely only a couple hours max to remove it. Then working on it will be a lot easier.

20. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I pulled my column out and replaced it with a floor shift model in about 4 hours.
    You will have to work under the dash, under the hood, and under the car. Disconnect everything with the dash strap left for last.
    While you have it apart, replace the steering shaft bearings.