Intake stuck

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by zerolash, Dec 21, 2017.

1. zerolash

zerolash In Third Gear

79 302- Well I am ready to remove the intake and it will not budge. I used a large pry bar under thermostat housing and it didn’t even move. Any ideas? I was thinking on using my engine lift (the one that goes from strut tower to strut tower) hooking a chain to it and tap on the intake. Also I got the tank drained it had 15 gallons. I pulled the gauge out and it was super dirty. Could I use some engine cleaner and a power sprayer to clean it out? Of course blow out with some air and dry it out afterwards.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

There are bolts that get buried in crud, 4 of them, right by the carb, that go straight up rather than an angle like the rest do.

3. zerolash

zerolash In Third Gear

Ok. I will take a look thanks.

4. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Get a new sending unit for the tank, Cheap insurance..

5. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Hey, John -
    You work on 385's too much - on a 302 all the bolts are straight up, none on an angle. But I think your point is dead on, there's always one or two that get missed.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yup, 12 in all, sometimes a rear corner one can get missed after removing a ground strap off the stud on the bolt

7. zerolash

zerolash In Third Gear

Yes missed one came right off to see a beautiful sight. [​IMG]

8. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Well, Thatr right there is your Prollem...

9. zerolash

zerolash In Third Gear

One problem. I have 2 bent push rods and a slightly off push rod. You think it’s from trying to start with bad gas? Or a broken timing chain maybe? What should I check next

10. ribald1

You are correct, and I should have known better as all the ones on my 5.0 are studs.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  11. zerolash

zerolash In Third Gear

I guess I will turn it over and look to see what the cam does and check for slip in the chain. Hopefully the valves where just stuck from sitting and the push rods was weak link

12. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Could that be a 351 block? Could that be part of the problem?

13. zerolash

zerolash In Third Gear

14. MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

You have some fun ahead.

15. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

16. ribald1

Turning it by hand is all you should do until you verify that the valve timing has not jumped.
    If you can turn it 2 revolutions by hand without any binding, do a compression test and post the results.
    Also, you didn't drain the water out of the block, and now have water in your oil.
    You should drain the water out before turning it over, even by hand. Otherwise you risk the oil pump sending water into your cam or main bearings, and that is NOT a good thing.

Hillbilly likes this.
  17. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I went ahead and verified the oil didn't have any water in Dad's crankcase; The only coolant that spilled, I was able to sop up before it could go down, just an ounce or two, but Holy Schamoly, you should've seen the crap oil leftovers in the valley! Got it all cleaned up, and now my vacuum is gross, but the oil's back in and Steven and I are trying to finish it up, get it back on the road.

18. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I have had a few engines come through the shop that looked like this - either jumped time, or the valve stems got "varnished" with REALLY old fuel and then they got stuck in the guides (my guess). Grab the rocker and see if you can leverage one of those valves (with the bent pushrods) open and you will probably have your answer. Either way the heads need to come off to replace any bent valves or remove the valves and clean stems and guides. More time than money. Good luck.

cbolt likes this.