Moral dilemma

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 1965 Ranchero 66G, Mar 5, 2018.

1. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

I have a customer that came to my shop for an inspection on his motorcycle and I was talking to him about his bike and commented that I had the same 1 yr Brown tank model CB750, he bought it along with another one that was in pieces at an estate sale, I asked if I could see the other one because he said he had no interest in putting it back together. The frame hanging on the wall and the blue gas tank and side covers wrapped in plastic peaked my interest, so I asked him if he had the motor. It was complete, a 1969 CB750 Sand Cast. My dilemma is do I tell him what he has or grab it and run.

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I would give him the low end of a fair price, even if higher than he was asking. If paying him more than he is asking I would tell him he is not asking enough and I want to be fair.
    No deal is worth pissing off customers. That is shitting in your mess kit.

Hillbilly and DeepBarney like this.
  3. DeepBarney

DeepBarney In Second Gear

I second that notion

4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

What's this thing actually worth. And where is his shop? You know, just curious.

5. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Anywhere from 10K to the one that sold at auction for 142K depends on production #s and condition. He had his other bike at my shop for a state insp. the 69 is at his house in the garage.

6. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I mean, where, exactly? Address and phone number. Again, just curious.

GBH Jon and 1965 Ranchero 66G like this.
  7. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Curious with $ signs in your eyes. I don't think so.

TestDummy likes this.
  8. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

He bought it at an Estate Sale and probably paid next to nothing for it. It's not like you are cheating him out of a family heirloom .

Grab it and RUN, He probably did the same thing.

as they say......Dog Eat Dog

9. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Well he basically got it for free, he only wanted the complete one but it was a package deal and had to take both.

10. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Stuff is only worth what you are willing to pay. If you guys can work out a mutual deal, then it should be good. Bike-in-a-box is going to take some time and money to sort out, don't short yourself. If you plan on restoring it, you might see yourself
    looking for some expensive bits in the process.

DeepBarney and 1965 Ranchero 66G like this.
  11. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Do the right thing. Next time it may be you on the other end of the deal

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  12. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Like I said, a moral dilemma. Going to talk to him tomorrow.

13. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Don't know if I will sleep better tonight or not. I asked him what he would take for it and he said he thought it was probably worth a $ K just in parts, then came the big sigh and I offered him $3K and explained what it would take to restore it. He looked very surprised and asked why I would pay so much, soooo, I told him what I thought he had and to do some research on it through Honda and on the internet and if he still wanted to sell it to give me a call. When I left I think he was in shock. I probably could gotten it for $500. He is an older guy and just a Sunday rider, we'll see what happens.

14. ribald1

If he is honorable, he will at least toss you a bone if he doesn't sell it.

15. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Him and his three car's help fill my mess kit, as you put it. I'll wait and see if it comes around, it is a small town. Either way my life will go on.

16. 1965 Ranchero 66G

I have been self employed in one business or another for over 40 yrs, I just wanted to make a living not a killing, I did the first one, the other just snuck up through the yrs.

17. ribald1

I also have been self employed most of my life, I have had this company for 33 years and before that was mostly self employed except for my electrical apprenticeship.
    It has it's rough points, but self employment allows one to, over time, end up working with people one likes and doing things one likes, every day.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  18. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Have to agree with the doing what one likes part, but over the years to get to that part, my body parts are disagreeing.

19. ribald1

I have parts that complain from time to time, and at 63 I likely don't have much more than another 10-15 years before I give up the construction work and only do technical stuff. Troubleshooting, design, and consulting. I have already started in that direction, and were it not for my son wanting me to teach him the trade I would likely already be doing mostly that.

20. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Hopefully he is like most older guys and will do you right. For one reason or another us older folk more often than not tend to do what is right. There are exceptions, sure. I am surprised he didn't accept your offer on the spot.