1972-73 BASIC CLUSTER PCB BOARD REMAKE

Discussion in 'Ranchero Parts For Sale' started by andrewok1, Nov 19, 2017.

1. NeillNZ

NeillNZ In Second Gear

It has been a while since I last updated. I have been making the most of the good weather here. Shed/workshop/office build is coming along nicely. One day soon I'll have a place to work on my car..

Here is version one of the mech:
    [​IMG]

All of the apertures line up to the frame, so no changes to make there. What I'm not happy about however is that it does not sit flat in the middle, see here:
    [​IMG]

and here:
    [​IMG]

At first glance it would appear that I've made the circuit too long. Actually it is exactly the same as the original. It too sits up in the middle:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So while I do like to copy the original as closely as possible I really don't like how it sits up, so I've cut 2mm(almost 0.1") out of the centre. Version 2 of the mech has been ordered.

Here is the new artwork:
    [​IMG]

I'm still working out how to attach the battery snaps. This has been a challenge. The latest idea is to rivet them but because the circuit base material is so thin and I cannot source any suitable washers I'm having a back up plate made up. This plate will go on the back of the circuit to strength it where the rivets go through. I'm having it made from 0.6mm(0.023") thick fibreglass.

[​IMG]

It will mount like this:
    [​IMG]

I should have the version 2 mech in about week. If that fits well I'll go ahead with the first run of 10 units.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

Looks as good as the original fit , Although i know you want it to be flat in the center area ,
    if the original lays the same , I do not expect any problems with it , rivet area should be good with extra enforcement, Did you get the snaps all figured out ,
    I LIKE IT Andy :):):):)

3. andrewok1

these are getting close to run to make the circuits for basic cluster with out tach next we will do the 72-73 tach cluster circuits

4. NeillNZ

NeillNZ In Second Gear

I'm now happy with the riveting. A friend has machined some tooling for me:
    [​IMG]

The one on the right on this picture has been done with the new tooling. Actually I went a bit far in this example(hit too hard):
    [​IMG]

I received version two of the mech and I'm still not completely happy with the fit. I'm not sure how it is for you guys in the 'States but for my Australian Ford there has been a history if ill fitting and poor quality reproduction parts. I'm trying to make this the best I possibly can.

So I chopped up the mech into 4 pieces and placed it on the frame, joined it with sticky tape, scanned it and modified the artwork.

I will order a 3rd mech. Probably don't need to but I would rather not risk ordering a batch of circuits that are not quite right. So when I receive the 3rd mech I'll test fit it and if that is right I'll order the first run of 10 circuits.

Here is the chopped up version 2 mech on the frame. I have blacked all the edges so that I get a hard edge when scanning it:
    [​IMG]

Here is the scan:
    [​IMG]

And the modified artwork. Can you 'spot the changes' LOL?
    [​IMG]

5. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

If you are going to sell them here, you should consider deleting the Ford logo.
    They have even shut down forums like this one for copyright issues.

6. andrewok1

YES, the FORD logo and part number need removed,

rabad1 is right on this , you have had a amazing tool made !!!! SUPER WORK and lots of hours of your talent, put to test NEILL , I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER WITH YOUR PRODUCT YOU ARE PRODUCING

7. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Nice work. Would it be possible to use an arbor press on the rivets for a little more control?

[​IMG]

NeillNZ and Basstrix like this.
  8. andrewok1

OKAY , Neill has been whittling away at these PCBs ,they are getting close to get run , if we can get a count on how manty are looking to take advantge of these , the cost may be able to be lower .
    I do not know about you guys & gals but i count on the cluster to be working correctly as for the ,TEMP,FUEL,OIL LIGHT ,AND BLINKERS ,not to forget about BRAKE LIGHT WARNING ...Andy

9. NeillNZ

NeillNZ In Second Gear

The design has been finalized. The Ford logo and part number has been removed. I have requested a quote for 10 and for 20 units. Once that comes in I'll order the first run.

Here is a picture of the 3rd and final mech. Very happy with the fit:

[​IMG]

10. NeillNZ

NeillNZ In Second Gear

Finally I have my hands on the first batch. Very happy. Here are some unedited photos I took just now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jeff B likes this.
  11. ribald1

Well done!

andrewok1 likes this.
  12. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Do these things really go bad? Of the three 70-71's I parted out, all three gauge clusters were in good condition, and worked.

13. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

The layers separate and the conductor fails.

14. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Must be a 72-73 quality issue. These parts do look awesome, though. You should sell them to Dearborn.

andrewok1 likes this.
  15. andrewok1

TESTDUMMY . SEE BELOW IS THE ORIGINAL FROM MY 1972

[​IMG]

16. ribald1

They were designed to be plugged in one time, and one time only.
    Also the design and crowded space made inserting the plug perfectly straight a challenge.

andrewok1 likes this.
  17. NeillNZ

NeillNZ In Second Gear

I have seen it all. Circuits that are 40 years old in perfect condition as if they are brand new and others that have gone brittle, the layers separated and copper fallen off. I've sold one to a guy in Australia who had his eaten by a rat, yes a rat living in his dash!

18. andrewok1

WE HAVE 3 OF THESE AVAILABLE FOR SALE ,Neill will be shipping them to me in the next 10 days so if you need onne time is NOW to confirm a order from me /ANDY

19. andrewok1

BE sides the plug the delamination on the edges was also a problem with blinkers and brake warning light

20. andrewok1

Okay boys & girls ,
    Neill ,The man who has spent many countless hours to remake a better copy of the Basic cluster circuit ,
    Informed me he will be shipping them to me beginning of next week , SO we will setup a paypal link for those who have ordered one,
    I will be shipping them out as soon as payments received I have 3 of them yet to be claimed 95.00 + 15.00 = 110.00 SHIPPED