1979 Ranchero GT 351M California emission vacuum hose routing HELP

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by 351Montez, Mar 23, 2018.

1. 351Montez

351Montez In Second Gear

No 'veci' stickers under the hood what so ever Ive checked. Its a 5.8l Mod 2brl A/C Auto all smogged,, its just always had a 'birds nest' of lines and hoses everywhere and I don't think some of the vacuum is correct now? I have been searching (online,manuals,libraries) for the information a couple years now on and off when I had time to with not much luck, closest I'm able to find is calibration: 9-59J-RON date: 1-24-79 which is very similar ?
    If anyone has the Service Manuals or Mitchells with the correct calibration for me youd be a Life saver and help get her back on the AZ roads again!

2. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

351Montez likes this.
  3. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Getting CA "pollution" control information can be a daunting task.
    Aside from the CA required sticker on the hood.
    Redoing it to factory (not CA) condition will involve removing some parts. If you want to make it match the original CA requirements your best bet will involve finding someone with that engine in 79 vintage that can snap a pic of the sticker and get it to you.
    Be aware that 70's era CA specific smog parts are becoming rather rare.

351Montez likes this.
  4. 351Montez

351Montez In Second Gear

Thanks for the advice, Ill take a look at that forum but was hoping to find the info here without having to join multiple sites lol Ive only joined here and SuperMotors.net so far, I see a lot of good topics on Ford-Trucks also

5. 351Montez

351Montez In Second Gear

Oh I have all the original equipment and have already started replacing many new parts for the last 5 or so years Ive had it, the issue is just the vacuum hose routing. I have the Haynes, Chilton, Motor and other literature which point in the right direction but I feel CA emissions 351s are not common or well regarded haha. The vehicle is CA truck but been in AZ over 15yrs. Ive been searching online briefly for the right calibration stickers and I do plan on keeping this ride for a while since it was passed down from Pops, so Ill end up getting the rest of the manuals for sure, Its been sitting at my dads over 2years when it last broke down on me now I got her home I have room for her so its time to get her running ASAP

6. 351Montez

351Montez In Second Gear

7. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The issue is that CA made special regs that applied to only American made cars forcing them to create special setups just for CA. As a result of CA's constantly changing requirements most was done locally and never got into repair manuals.
    When the Japanese had decent market penetration and stopped sending trailer loads of money to Sacramento that stopped.

8. 351Montez

351Montez In Second Gear

well Crap I really hope someone with the same set-up can save the day with a pic or explanation of what hoses go where(has 3 ported vacuum switches) how can I post a pic of my motor up on the thread? I have all the images already downloaded to harddrive just new to forums..

9. russosborne

russosborne In Fourth Gear

The link above to the vacuum book works for me, but I am a member on the grantorino site.
    You have to be a member to view the for sale posts there. Didn't realize that til just now.
    But it's worth it to become one. Doesn't cost a dime.

Where are you located? I'm in Glendale. If you are close (metro Phoenix or so) maybe we can work something out regarding that book, like me being a middle man. It would likely save you a ton of frustration. But seriously, just join that forum as well. :D

Russ

351Montez likes this.
  10. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

So, you guys really have to have all that crap hooked up to get plates? Or do they do an emissions test (sniffer)? Most of that 70's smog stuff just diluted the exhaust gas, adding outside air to it.

351Montez likes this.
  11. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

Here is a link to autozone -you will have to locate diagram for your Ford Engine

https://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0900c15280080fb7

351Montez likes this.
  12. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Sorry about the link being only an error message. I was referring to the factory '79 electrical/vacuum factory manual, very informative and gives locations for specific electrical connections/connectors and/or vacuum lines/hoses. This electrical/vacuum manual is MUCH BETTER than a factory shop manual.

351Montez likes this.
  13. 351Montez

351Montez In Second Gear

Whats up Russ Thanks, I'm in Chandler/Gilbert area, I will definitely have to sign up and check it out then lol I just have limited time to research autos with so many other things going on(wife,kids,puppies,homeDIY,Pool lawn care, side Autorepair+keeping the Bronco going!)o_O

14. russosborne

russosborne In Fourth Gear

351Montez likes this.
  15. 351Montez

351Montez In Second Gear

You know what I'm not too sure on that Will have to look into AZ emission regulations again? But Its been registered here in AZ over 15yrs I'm just trying to get new tags/registration. It has all the Original equipment I just may have crossed a couple vacuum hoses a while back and she hasn't run right since
    I really should just give you all a quick summary of the trucks history as far as I know it...
    >My pops Old school buddy was the second owner for many years in AZ do to Age and medical bills he was forced to sell it Dad helped him out (condition was neglected but ok)
    >Dad (half paralyzed) cruised it for about 6yrs while I did minor maintenance repairs to keep her running (condition getting better)
    >It finally became more than he could handle and gifted it to me (broke down) I immediately throwing $ at it Engine, Brakes and Suspension parts little over $1000 (was running strong smooth enough for a daily)
    >Drove her almost a year and half before started having carburetor flooding and stalling issues had some 'Old carb guy' rebuild the 2150 ran couple months then same issue until one day on way home from work she threw a big 'POP' from under the hood I barely made it to my dads house dying losing more power, parked in the garage and couldn't get to fire up without stalling immediately running rough? At this point with all the new parts running good before I started researching, pulled upper intake to replace valley pan gasket Same thing, Cranks strong would barely fire up with pedal then stall?? frustrated she sat there +2yrs I had other cars
    >3yrs sitting at Pops I finally sold some rides and brought her Home, I will post up all the *repairs/replacements I have logged in my manuals as I do with all my vehicles which I note Parts @mileage/date done for better reference on maintenance status but in the past couple months I got new battery, replaced 6 damaged vac hoses/fuel lines and did a total carb rebuild myself;) put about 5gal gas tank was E I always used high end fuel system cleaners over the years so HOPING tank is in good condition? replaced the fuel filters.. cranks strong Still no fuel to carb?? when I replaced fuel hose from tank hardline to the pump gas was spilling out until I plugged? the pump in it now was Less than a year old before it died, but I just picked new one up last night! gonna swap it after this post and a snack. I will post more pics to my profile til I figure out how to on the thread, I see the Pic icon but don't know how to insert image??

16. 351Montez

351Montez In Second Gear

17. 351Montez

351Montez In Second Gear

18. 351Montez

351Montez In Second Gear

Changed my profile pic so you can see what I'm working with

19. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Sounds like a timing chain slip......

351Montez likes this.
  20. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Take off fuel line from pump to carb and put a pigtail hose to a bucket, crank it over to see if your getting fuel, if you are then it is probably a plugged filter or stuck needle and seat.

351Montez likes this.