Car Cover Queston

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Oculto, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Oculto

Oculto In Second Gear GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good car cover. I purchased one that was supposed to be weather proof but the first time it rained really hard it ripped. (not that it rains that much here) . The manufacture replaced it for me and in the meantime I acquired a boat cover. I am currently using both of them together as the boat cover has straps to keep everything on the car. It works really well as far as keeping the car and car cover dry but the hole for the antenna has started tearing. Does anyone know the length of the car I cant find anything and I'm having a dent on the hood fixed. (kids at work threw a rock at it) I don't have covered parking for the car. I'm looking for something that's not too expensive. Also I am thinking about having a tonneau cover installed because there is not a chrome shop here and a tonneau cover would be much less expensive than a re-chrome for the hockey sticks. I'm worried because they will have to put the snaps into the body is this a problem if I keep the car covered?

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Any car cover that will hold up in weather won't be kind to the paint.
    I doubt the commercial type covers were ever made for the Ranchero, but one for a full size pickup would work. You could cut it down so there wouldn't be so much on the ground.

3. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I use a cheap one by CoverKing that I bought on sale at Costco for less than $40. I believe I went with the "Large" size for cars and it fits my 71 just fine. It uses a water repellent fabric. Thus far, it's survived several wind storms w/o damage and rain storms w/o getting the car wet. I had to erect a "tent" in the tailgate to eliminate the lake effect, so I know it doesn't leak. It's a cheap cover and I don't expect it to last more than a couple of years but keeps the sun off the car.

4. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

A couple years ago, I needed to cover Babe because the city was hassling my landlord, and 'you-know-what' rolls downhill. So Florida Andrew (andrewok1) sent me a cover he had, and it has done relatively well here in Western Washington; you might want to ask him what brand it was. Oh, and it was for a full-size pickup.

6. Oculto

Thank you for all the suggestions. I wish I could do a canopy but with the wind I get here it wouldn't last. I will check out costco too. Does that one have straps or ties to keep it on the car? I am really not expecting to keep the paint perfect. Its not like a show car I'm more worried about the paint fading. If I could make it a daily driver I would.

7. ribald1

If I may ask, why are you covering it?
    In the wet season a cover promotes rust in a significant way as it prevents air movement.

8. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

9. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I have an expensive one that lets the rain through. I think I need one like you have there ponyexpress

10. Oculto

Even though I drive it every weekend I like to keep it covered so the paint doesn't fade and also where I am able to park it there is a giant pine tree that I have noticed leaves some kind of film on the car. Also the cover keeps me from having to wash the car all the time. It really doesn't rain here that much. Thank you so much for the link I like that fact that it a good price and free shipping. I also saw that you can wash the cover which I never even thought of. I'll be ordering one today. I love this site, you all are so awesome!!!:D

11. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Here's the one I got on ebay about 3 years ago.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Ranch...ash=item2c6bb7fdfc:g:EdUAAOSwm8VUrrR9&vxp=mtr
    I bought it to cover my Ranchero before our garage was built, and it worked great in the Oregon rain; the car remained dry underneath. But I literally had to siphon the water out of the "swimming pool" in the bed- it was that watertight of a cover. I'd buy another if I needed one.
    car cover.jpg

12. cbolt

How did the car remain dry and the bed turn into a swimming pool?

13. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The car cover in the bed area stretched as it filled up with water, making a swimming pool. No water got through to the bed itself; pretty impressive.

cbolt likes this.
  14. ribald1

You could use it to hold ice for your next kegger.

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  15. PonyExpressRider

SSSHHH! don't be giving away our redneck ideas! LOL

16. PonyExpressRider

OOPS!

I did not mean to imply that I owned one! My car is garaged. Just found that in the search to help you, and used my car for the search criteria.

Sorry!

But if I was going to get one, I think I would seriously consider that 5 Layer one. :rolleyes:

17. ribald1

OK then, I will keep quiet as to the real reason for the kiddy pool.

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  18. PonyExpressRider

and if you build a fire under it, you can have a hot tub! o_O

19. cbolt

That is impressive indeed. I bought an expensive cover hoping to keep water off my cover and out of my bed, but it goes right through. Breathable covers are a good thing if you are going to keep your car covered in a humid environment, but I want to keep water off, and would be more than happy to take the cover off when the sun is out.

20. cbolt