Judge wants to repeal the 2nd Amendment..

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Huevos, Mar 28, 2018.

1. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

Well......can't argue with that, cheers for clearing things up!.....

2. PaulDobbin

PaulDobbin In Second Gear

The Second Amendment starts "A well regulated......." It's well past the time to do that!

TestDummy likes this.
  3. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

To expand on that... A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Regulated means trained. If you look into the roots of the word you will understand how it evolved into they way it is used today.
    Another thing to note. There are several different versions of the second amendment, but there is no second amendment to the Constitution.
    The history of why the amendments starts at 11 even though there are 12 articles at the end of the constitution (The right to keep and bear arms is the article of the fourth) is worth looking up. Had the situation been more orderly, the 11th amendment would have been the first.
    None of the 'Bill of Rights' are amendments, they are part of the body of the original Constitution.

5. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If we are going to analyze every word, "infringe" means to encroach, limit or undermine something by action. Given the meaning of "regulated" as pertains to Militia, "infringe" in the sentence provided by Skip "the right of the people to keep and bear arms".... wouldn't the two parts of the same sentence contradict one another if "regulated" were taken to mean banning or restricting anyone's right to keep and bear arms, which shall not be infringed?

I'm neither pro guns nor anti guns, but it always interests me to see how different people interpret different things, usually in such a manner as to fit what they have already decided they want to believe. Nobody on this forum or anywhere can say definitely what the founding fathers were thinking when they penned that line. All we can do is interpret the words and try not to attach our prejudices to the meaning. Yet everyone is an expert on what the founding fathers meant.

Isn't the whole thing slightly ambiguous for a reason? Ambiguity gives the States some latitude in interpretation and subsequently some authority within their state so that, for instance, gun laws in Texas differ from gun laws in California, right?

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  6. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

you go CBOLT !!!!!

7. ribald1

Cbolt, that is only true if you change the meaning of words. As the word was defined at the time;
    "Regulated" has an Obsolete definition (b) "Of troops: Properly disciplined" and then "discipline" has a definition (3b) applying to the military, "Training in the practice of arms and military evolutions; drill.
    We know exactly what the founders intended, they wrote extensively about it at the time and recorded the debates they had about issues.
    Words change meaning over time, but we have access to the dictionaries that were used when the document was written.
    We know exactly what they meant and why they wrote what they did, and anyone can know these things as the information is readily available at libraries or on the internet.

8. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If we knew exactly what was meant, then why are there so many arguments? Just sayin'

I bet PaulDobbin has a different interpretation of the exact same sentence as you, or even me.

I'll also bet some folks interpret the line to mean a person's right to bear arms is dependent upon, or directly proportional to, the need for a militia.

Again, I am neither pro gun nor anti gun.

Ambiguity.

9. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Happy arguments..:cool:

10. ribald1

People argue that the world is flat.
    I guess the shape of the earth is ambiguous.

11. FordR500GT

Ok. I'm about 110% sure that everyone here is smart enough to know the earth is round:rolleyes:

12. ribald1

13. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Not so sure. Any members here support the steam rocket guy? I understand he go up what? 1500 feet?

As an added kicker, the militia at the time was pretty much defined as any able-bodied adult male under the age of 40.

And other than a few city dwellers, most males had and knew how to use long guns, though they were exceedingly expensive, being mostly made by hand.

The federalist papers shed only a little light on firearms.

14. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Steam rocket guy may not have proved his point about the world being flat but after his 1500' wanna be trip into the stratosphere.... The landing sure flattened his rocket.

FordR500GT likes this.
  15. FordR500GT

16. ribald1

Some here have some really strange ideas. Back when BB would discuss some of his it was a hoot.

17. ribald1

Top 10 Gun Safety Tips
    10. Always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction, such as at a hippie or communist.
    9. Dumb children may get a hold of your guns and shoot each other. If your children are dumb, put them up for adoption to protect your guns.
    8. No matter how responsible he seems, never give your gun to a monkey.
    7. If guns make you nervous, drink a bottle of whiskey before heading to the range.
    6. When unholstering your weapon, it’s customary to say “Excuse me while I whip this out.”
    5. Don’t load your gun unless you are ready to shoot something or are just feeling generally angry.
    4. If your gun misfires, never look down the barrel to inspect it. Have someone else do that for you.
    3. Never use your gun to pistol whip someone. That could mar the finish.
    2. No matter how excited you are about buying your first gun, do not run around yelling “I have a gun! I have a gun!”.
    1. And the most important rule of gun safety. Don’t piss me off!

PonyExpressRider and FordR500GT like this.
  18. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

All I know is NO ONE's touching my throwing stars!!!! No one!

TestDummy likes this.
  19. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

In those days, a "well Regulated" meant that everyone had one. From the 1600's until just prior to the Revolution, when England tried to/began to, confiscate weapons. It was a requirement, in most states, that all able bodied men aged 16 or older have a rifle, and adequate powder and shot for the defense of the township. And the Governor could send his men to inspect your stores to ensure compliance.

Even after the Revolution was won, and the Army was dissolved. It was still required that a firearm be readily available for all able bodies men.

The important part of the Second Amendment, is "being necessary to the security of a free State"... Is the defense of the Constitution, and maintaining the Rights of ALL Americans, and the freedoms that the Constitution and the Bill of Rights provides.

20. ribald1

We have evolved beyond that Pony.
    Now every Hipster is required to have flowers and a latte.

PonyExpressRider likes this.