1969 Ranchero - Car (not truck...) Bell Housing for 390

Discussion in 'Ranchero Parts Wanted' started by super green dog, Apr 3, 2018.

1. super green dog

super green dog In Third Gear

Ford P/N: C6OA-6394-D (much preferred & my first choice) or, C5AA-6394-A (second choice).

Converting my C6 to a 4 spd top loader (also need Z bar, throw out fork, trans hump, & a few more items...)

Contact - super green dog

Thanks!

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Hard to come by good luck

3. super green dog

Thanks Chero...
    Am going to Good Guys in Del Mar tomorrow. Will also check out Long Beach & Pomona swap meets... Can you think of anything else?..

4. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Find a used fe scatter shield, probably easier to find.

5. 5.0 Chero

The last one I saw at a swap meet was in the hands of a mustang dealer and he had a asking price of $650 and of course the tag said 428 SCJ bell housing

6. Cindy

Cindy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Have fun!

7. super green dog

Ha - i saw that scatter shield too. Am OK, as I have some time to locate one... Am currently collecting a RUG-C2 top loader, shift mechanism & all the other fixings to install a 4 spd in my 69. It just caught me by off guard how difficult they are to find. Especially since Truck 390/FE bell housings are everywhere and can be had for $100-200. Thanks for all the support!

8. super green dog

Two (2) more related questions:
    1) Is the FE Bell housing engine plate the same or different for C6 auto vs. a top loader (std 4 spd.)?
    a) Or, are there different P/N's for the various housings? (from my limited research - think it's the same for all, but looking for confirmation...)
    b) Can I use the one that's with my factory C6?
    2) Basically the same questions - only for the Ford FE Lower Bell Housing Cover - ex.: C3AZ6366A
    a) Is there a difference for auto vs. 4 spd & for the various housings?
    b) If there is none... Would think I could use the one with my factory C6... (assuming that's the case - honestly - don't know...

The more I research and look - the more questions pop up...

Thanks!!!

9. super green dog

Here's what i found consulting w a few local FORD guru's: (DCS Motorsports... & others...)
    1) The FE intermediate plate is the same whether a 4 spd or C6 automatic. (not sure if its a C4...)
    2) The FE lower Bell housing is different for the 4 spd vs. the C6.

10. ramair428cjxr7

ramair428cjxr7 In Overdrive

I've got a 69 ranchero close ratio 4 speed

11. super green dog

Hey Ramair - just recently purchased a RUG-C2, which is period close ratio top loader & shifting mechanism - so I am good there... Thanks for asking...

12. super green dog

Found a C5AA-6394-A for $350... The car bell housings are in short supply - must have spoken with or called 10+ Ford parts folks... Almost everyone - just like Chero - told me 'good luck...'
    Finally got one - now working on the rest of the parts...

13. 5.0 Chero

I believe I have the lower cover in the shop

14. super green dog

Cool -please let me know? Might have a line on one of those as well... They are double checking to confirm...

15. 5.0 Chero

this is the one I have and no I am not asking 200 like the one on ebay
    Let me know I am going to throw it on ebay for $75 now I dug it out if you do not want it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  16. 5.0 Chero

17. super green dog

Good morning Chero - my local contact just confirmed - he has one for me. (same guy i bought my top loader from...it's very clean, plus no tax, delivery and a good price). Thank you very much for looking.... Appreciate your guidance throughout this project!

18. 5.0 Chero

19. paxpwr

paxpwr In Second Gear

just stumbled across your last Apr project wants. I have a set of pedals and the underdash mount bracket if you haven't got them. I was going to do the same swap on my 69 w/64 427 and finally gave up due to availability and costs. But my impatience and age (83) were my main reason. Just wanted to go ride'n before they hauled my casket in it. Now I have a serious traction problem (wife told me to put a tombstone in back for weight but to have it engraved, but for date, so it would save her a lot of trouble). still has a sense of humor after 61 yrs. Also, I have a lot of left over parts from my restomod. Know I'm a little late with all this but you never know-------paxpwr

ForistellFord likes this.
  20. super green dog

Hey Paxpwr - got your note - thanks... I actually have a set of non-restored pedals that will shortly be reworking and think i have all/most of the brackets as well. Just got my 69 out of paint - it's finally looking pretty good. My trans swap is still about 6 months away... but I'll definitely reach out once the project is in work. Hope you feel better... Please reach out at any time.

ForistellFord likes this.