Looks like NAPA no longer carries the rotors for a 72 upgrade

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Bronxguinea, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Bronxguinea

Bronxguinea In Second Gear

Well I guess I have to go with the 5X5 wheels if I want to go with the rotor upgrade. NAPA no longer carries the 72 Thunderbird rotors . Lucky I just picked up a 77 T-bird with HD front sway bar and rear sway bar, now I can pull the axles and spindles too

Attached Files:

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Why settle for 11 when you can have 12? Because 12 causes the factory wheels to rub on the calipers, which means I can't have my concours-restored car. Dumbasses.

3. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The hydroboost on my 72 will lock the 11's at any speed.

Bronxguinea likes this.
  4. Bronxguinea

Not if you get 15" magnum 500 or run other 15"Inch bigger rim and lower profile tire comes out to be the same diameter , And it has nothing to do with stopping power same calipers and same pad coverage it's more metal less heat build up, But I was thinking of going with a 78 Mark V hydro boost unit for the stopping power too ,plus the bigger rotors , It's a Q code car so figure why not go all out on it

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Which would come in handy when road racing your Ranchero at Watkins Glen.

6. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

7. TestDummy

Kiwirancher and ForistellFord like this.
  8. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

The larger diameter rotors actually give you a bit more braking "leverage" for slowing the rotor down, the further away from the center of the hub the friction pads are, the more effective they will be at slowing the rotor down with the exact same hydraulic input pressure. Now, the upgrade will only move the pads outward about 1/2", but every incremental increase away from the center of the hub will gain braking effect. To test this theory somewhat, try this: Start your vehicle and turn the steering wheel where the usual grip area is, now try to turn the steering wheel while grasping it nearer the center hub, way easier to turn by the grip area and both scenarios have the same hydraulic input pressure/assist.

Bronxguinea likes this.
  9. TestDummy

Also adds more unsprung weight. So there's that.

Bronxguinea likes this.
  10. Bronxguinea

74 they upgraded to a larger inner wheel bearings on the smaller and larger rotors so I have everything to do it . might as well . 30 years of rebuilding trannys update bulletins were always for a reason due to past issues . The post was really only to let anyone looking to do the upgrade that NAPA the only parts place left that was carrying them has discontinued them. Personally I like the look of 15" on it better than 14"

11. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Centrix must have stopped making a lot of things and seem to be just running down inventory as the catalog just keeps getting smaller and smaller.

Bronxguinea likes this.
  12. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

This ^ was one of the reasons I modified my front brake hubs to accept the larger 12.44" "slip-on" Crown Vic rotors and dropped the rear drums for the same year CV rear disc assemblies, it was getting too hard to find "good" brake parts for our rides, especially rear drums. It took a bit of work, but with the addition of HB and 4 wheel discs with the larger rotors, my Ranchero will out brake all my family's other ABS equipped vehicles.

Bronxguinea likes this.
  13. Twinturbor

Twinturbor In First Gear

Maybe a dumb question but can someone shoot me a parts list for converting the front brakes to disk. I'm new to the ranchero scene and need to do the swap on a 66

14. beerbelly

15. Twinturbor

Twinturbor In First Gear

16. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

I don't want to hear that. I'm just finishing up the drums in the front. Next was going to be new drums/shoes in the rear.

Joseph

17. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

If the rotors are becoming scarce and it is just a suggestion ..... buy 2 sets and pass them on if selling the vehicle.

18. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Don't feel singled out because of the year of your Ranchero. It is that bad or worse for me in keeping a small fleet of 90 thru 97 Lincoln Town Cars on the road for my family. Go to the parts houses or Ford and hear "Obsolete" so often that you think it's the only word in the counter guy's vocabulary. Good thing is if you hold out long enough someone in the aftermarket steps up and reproduces those vital parts. It stinks badly but I bought extra cars to rob parts from.

19. beerbelly

20. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member