My 69 Ram Air 428CJ

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by PonyExpressRider, Jan 14, 2013.

1. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Hey all... getting ready to stow Brittany away for the winter... any suggestions on prepping her for hibernation... ???

already ran a tank of none ethanol through the system, may do it again just to make sure while I still have dry weather. But don't want to over look anything that may cause problems in the spring.

Thanks all!

2. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Add a bottle of Sta Bil fuel stabilizer to the gas tank and take it for a drive for a few miles to get it in the carb. I use it for my Harley, boat, Sea Doos and mower's.

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  3. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

X2 on the Sta Bil.
    Jack stands if you don't want flat spots on the tires.

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Generally, if it's only just "Winter storage," you don't have to put it on blocks and such, but make sure the tires are aired up, and if your storage arrangement permits it, fire it up once a month, get it to operating temp, run the engine at 1500-2000 rpm for a minute, so that oil splashes everywhere inside and moisture boils off. Then shift through the full gear range so all sections of the trans get bathed in fluid. Make sure you cut a big piece of cardboard to fit underneath, from radiator to tailshaft, to catch and locate any drips.

5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Agreed. Radial tires won't get flat spotted over a season. Or, even 2 years. We had a Volvo here that didn't move for 3 years. When we jumped it and drove it, the thing was bouncing around like crazy from the flat spotted tires. 10 minutes later, after putting some heat in them, it was fine.

6. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

x3 on Sta Bil; I use it in all my small engine stuff over the winter, and they fire right up in the spring. May want to put a trickle charger on the battery too.

7. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Get a battery tender, a whole lot cheaper than an over charged battery replacement, I have six and haven't had to replace a battery in years.

8. PonyExpressRider

Thought Sta-bil was for ethanol gas, but OK...

probably a good idea to put it on jack stands... bias-ply tires..
    Charger/Maintainer is already in use... switch it between my TT battery's and Brittany regularly... might just need to get another.
    Thanks everyone...

An interesting, but cool thing happened the other day. Back up to last fall when I installed the Radio (you know that high technology original AM) and Antenna, I couldn't get any sound out of it... nothing but a low buzz. Anyway, fast forward to the other day, burning up the ethanol gas, drove it into town and on the way home just turned it on and low and behold... sound was coming from the dash speaker! Too bad we don't have AM's that play music around here... but talk radio is better then silence! Will still have to have the Radio gone through though... bumps are not its friend! Might have to consider a satellite antenna, in the future.

9. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

They make sta-bil for ethanol gas AND another type for Non-ethanol gas.

10. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Either way, highly recommended for winter, or long term storage.

11. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Sta Bil has been around a lot longer than those imitation gas blends have.

12. PonyExpressRider

Putting Brittany away for the winter... not a bad first season. Will try to hit more shows a little further out next year.

One question beyond what I already asked... full tank of gas, or don't worry about it?

Attached Files:

13. handy_andy_cv64

The fuller it is, the less condensation, I say.

14. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Fill it about 1/2 to 3/4 and add seafoam to winterize, then drive it for a few miles to get it thru the carb then tuck her in until spring.

15. PonyExpressRider

Thanks guys...

already added sta-bil to the last tank full and have run it through. Hadn't really thought to much about condensation, but probably not a bad call Andy!

16. handy_andy_cv64

I don't know where Sutherlin is, exactly, but chances are, it's on the West side of the Oregon Cascades.

17. PonyExpressRider

Head south on the I-5 for about 6 hours, maybe 7 from Everett... we even have 2 exits!!! LOL Winters are pretty mild, until mid-February!

18. handy_andy_cv64

6-7 hours puts it somewhere south of Salem. My niece that I rebuilt the Taurus for a decade ago (has it been that long?), she went to school at Western Oregon U. in Monmouth, and I'd made the trip there a few times when the Taurus had troubles.

19. PonyExpressRider

About an hour south of Eugene... You should bring Babe down for Graffiti weekend... July 10-14, 2019... LOL!!! Get Beerbelly, and the other WA, OR, CA, (and anyone else) members together for a Ranchero gathering at the River Forks Show and Shine... :cool:

20. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

No Show, no Shine, just Drive.