Thanks for the admission.

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Alan Owenby, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Alan Owenby

Alan Owenby In First Gear

Just got a 78 Ranchero out of a pasture. Will be looking for advice, new to older Fords. The VIN indicates a 351, haven't figured out the transmission yet, it's auto. All advice is welcome. Retire Army guy ready to retire for good. This will make the 3rd project car. 1977 Datsun 280Z, 1989 Conquest TSI(waiting on paint) and this Ranchero. I intend to keep and drive all in retirement as I move back to SE Tennessee from Alabama. Thanks to all. Alan

Attached Files:

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

We ain't likely to admit to much, but welcome aboard.

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Retiring Army from Alabama, eh? Anyway, welcome aboard; usually, the VIN only indicates displacement, not engine family, and a 351W had a different trans (IIRC) than a 351M. My '79 GT had the 351M with FMX, originally, so if you still have the driver's door label intact, look at the bottom right corner for "TRANS," and if the code is an 'X,' that indicates an FMX; 'W,' I think , indicates a C4.

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Any Army/Navy rivalry needs to get taken outside.
    Really, I hate seeing Navy guys get beat up.:D

5. Alan Owenby

Thank you! Door plate has a X. I'm slowly learning, have several friends that are old Ford Gurus, just most out of state. From TN, live in AL now. Work at Redstone Arsenal, home of Aviation Command. Many good Navy friend from my 20 years flying Blackhawks around the world. More than one Deck landing in my log book.

6. handy_andy_cv64

And my big brother Fred was 82d ABN for ten years. He was involved in the landing on Grenada, back in the day. Lots of very funny stories involving short colonels, Dragon missiles, Gama Goats, Vulcan cannon barrels, and a nuclear blast simulator, confirmed story by two others who witnessed (and helped).

7. Alan Owenby

Fred a good man! I spent 9 years at Ft Campbell in the 101st, flew many time to Ft Bragg for field problems. Have many friends in the area still. Until about a year ago I drove the Bragg every month for work on Blackhawk helicopters. Miss the trips for the friends. I was in Honduras when Grenada action went down. We were younger then. Cleaning up and trying to learn the ins and out of this Ranchero. Radio worked and blasted good country music. Get the engine ready to crank, looking forward to learning from smart guys here.

8. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Born at Fort Rucker and spent part of my youth at Redstone Arsenal actually got to see the SkyLab trainer there on base. Huntsville had Marshal Space Fight Center with a Saturn IV rocket in stages on its side that at that time you could walk right up and touch. Early 70s was a cool time to be there

9. Alan Owenby

I graduated flight school at Ft Rucker in 1982. Marshal is still at Redstone and the Saturn is at the Space and Rocket Center. Great place. Been a member for years. They have Moon Rocks and a few Apollo Capsules that circled the moon. Check out the website. Friend of mine from the army was raised in Huntsville during the early 70's. He said that when they fired the Saturn engines for a test run, the whole valley shook and roared.

10. handy_andy_cv64

I can imagine that. I did part of my growing up next to the Boeing 747 plant here in Everett, and that was loud, but I've been assured that rocket engine sound is ten or more times worse.

11. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Yes they did that was cool time to be there got to see one of the engines on the test stand

12. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!

Welcome Aboard Alan... US Navy Retired.. 1975 - 2001! Destroyer Sailors do it with two good screws!

Always good to see them pulled from the fields and put back on the road.

13. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Am I the only one who noticed this thread just get overloaded with seamen.

14. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

...spellcheck

plumcolr likes this.
  15. Alan Owenby

What great guys here! I was Army 79 - 99. Flew as a test pilot contactor for the Army till 2005, still at desk at Redstone for aviation. Always enjoyed working with the Navy. While in the 101st we got a ride on the USS Nassau, LHA 4 from Norfolk to Honduras. Flew off the deck in a Blackhawk Helicopter to Soto Cano Airbase. Great trip, the Navy did us good and accommodated well, we had female maintainer's and crew chiefs! Several deck landings during my time. Now I want to get this 78 Ranchero fired up!

16. handy_andy_cv64

You want to be careful, saying 'overload' and 'seamen' in the same mouthful....

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    1965 Ranchero 66G and TestDummy like this.
  17. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Buddy, that is the best quote dropped here in years. Thank you.

ForistellFord likes this.
  18. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

There are some seriously twisted minds in here!~ LMAO!!!!

19. handy_andy_cv64

*takes a couple bows*