Is this any good?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ForistellFord, Dec 14, 2018.

1. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

While I have asked for a handgun for Christmas many years in a row without luck, I am going on my own after Christmas if I am not awarded with one again.

This any good? Goals are little more than home protection and a few trips to the range for fun. The Beverley Hillbilles shotguns are a bit awkward to wield for late night home invasions (me as victim, not perpetrator of course) so I want something easier.

https://www.rkguns.com/walther-pps-m2-9mm-double-action-compact-pistol-2805961.html

2. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Good price. I wont tell you my preference regarding caliber, manufacturer, etc. because opinions are like.... well you know.

Have you gone to your local gun store and looked at this model in person? That's the only way I know to see if it will fit your hand the way you want it to.

Huevos and ForistellFord like this.
  3. ForistellFord

They have it there yes. It feels like I expect, I suppose. Solid, seems well made. Haven't fired it. I can't wait to take it to Wal-Mart and get to the front of the checkout line QUICK.

4. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Jeff B. and ForistellFord like this.
  5. ForistellFord

Slick! I can't decide between a revolver or a mag yet.

6. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Let me decide for you. Mag.

I have a Ruger LCP, that fits in the palm of your hand, and comfortably in your pocket, and a Ruger SR9, which doesn't leave the house, although it could if I felt like being a cowboy with a holster. My Dad has a .38 S&W snub nose, and it's useless.

Basstrix and ForistellFord like this.
  7. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

The only personal experience I have with Walther is with a WWII P38 I had at one time. Walther has a good reputation and has been around for a long time, so I'd say it's a good choice....and I agree with cbolt...good price...at least according to the web search site I use.

I had the opportunity to fire one of the lightweight concealed carry revolvers (Ruger LCR)...it had a surprisingly nice feeling trigger for a DA only revolver....I have it on my wish list chambered in 357. My favorite cc, currently, is a S&W M&P Shield in .40 cal. It's a single stack, so doesn't hold but 7 in the mag, but I really like the size.

ForistellFord likes this.
  8. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I like the LCP also...great pocket pistol.

TestDummy and ForistellFord like this.
  9. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

I would own that Judge if California allowed it, Its considered a Destructive device here..

10. TestDummy

What I found surprising is how accurate it was at the Bass Pro Shop range. Or maybe it was me. Regardless, it's good to know you could hit what you're aiming at, unlike with the .38 snub. That's accurate to 12".

ForistellFord and Jeff B. like this.
  11. ForistellFord

12. TestDummy

Good lookin' piece.

13. TestDummy

14. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah, I couldn't find an indoor range that would let me use it- "too destructive on our equipment".

PDX1 shells.jpg PDX1 @ 10 yds.jpg

15. cbolt

The night sight feature on the sig sauer p320f is nice. You will like that a lot, especially if you are looking for something for home protection. In that situation you may need to find your target in a low light environment, and in that case the night sights will allow target acquisition without giving away your position. I have a stream light weapon mounted light on my weapon. While that will turn night into day, it will also tell the bad guy exactly where you are.

Again, everyone has their favorites and preferences when it comes to handguns. People will argue that stuff to death which is why you wont get my input. I will say again, just find something that fits your hand and is comfortable. Also, you want to take stopping power of the round itself into consideration. The .45 packs more of a punch than the 9mm, but a .25 caliber pretty much guarantees a kill shot almost anywhere in a torso though it wont knock a man off his feet necessarily. Stuff to consider. The only other thing I can think of you want to look at is recoil. Most don't very much, or the recoil is fairly negligible, but some still kick a bit which may throw your second and subsequent rounds off target.

16. cbolt

oooohhh now I want another firearm for Christmas too!

17. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

When it only takes one shot in the general direction.

18. TestDummy

FF won't need a gun then.
    A friend has this laser on his LCP. It really does take the guess work out of what you want dead. I've got a Winchester 12g hanging in the basement, with 5 shells in the mag.

[​IMG]

19. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

As was stated above.... Opinions are like ..........

That said I'll give you some of my bonifieds, I've been carrying a Colt Officers Model for 30 years, 7 years Navy Rifle Team, Firearms instructor for the past 15 or so and at home gun plumber for the past 25 years. I get the what gun should I pick question a lot.

I tell everyone the same thing, If you have the opportunity go to a gun shop and "shake hands" with the intended subject.

EMPTY GUN. Get into your shooting stance, hold the gun by the slide/cylinder with your left hand. Close your eyes. Bring your right hand up and grip the grip ONCE, don't readjust, wrap your left hand around your right as you would if shooting, Push the gun forward with both hands to your normal shooting position. Open your eyes and close them quickly. Was the gun pointing directly in front of you? Open your eyes. Are the sights on target or do you have to move them? (if your left handed, swap hands)

That is all first blush information that in general consistently proves to be accurate for finding a weapon that "fits" you.

A note on sub compact's be very cognizant of where your last two fingers hit the bottom of the magazine. If you are half on half off I can promise you you will not enjoy shooting the gun after not too many rounds.

Free advice worth what you paid for it. Assumptions made: You Have a shooting stance, you know how to grip a gun and you know how to point a gun.

Cheers,

Doc

Basstrix, ForistellFord and TestDummy like this.
  20. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Get what fits your eye - and spend the quality time with it to be proficient.

Colt 1911 in .45 ACP has been my "go to" - other more modern "shtuff" out there with lots of neat gadgets and features - (do you want infotainment, cup holders, and cruise with that?) but with the laws of primacy being what they are I am most comfortable with something I've been using for real since 1970.

I don't find any advantage in the current rash of "concealed carry" market weapons that have short sight radius and reduced profiles. See folks on the range every week that can't hit anything with them at 13 feet let alone 25 feet or yards.