Best hood scoop for 73

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Forrest, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

Hey guys I searched for a thread but couldn’t find one. If there is one sorry for a new thread. I’m looking to put a scoop on my 73. I’m leaning towards the Mustang Mach 1 style if not an original Mach 1 with turn signals scoop. Does anyone have that set up? There are a ton of repops and I want to find the best brand. Maybe someone has a different scoop on theirs? I don’t mind doing body work and paint I just don’t want something crap from the get go. Oh and I’m going to make it functional. Ie cutting a hole for the air cleaner. Pics would be awesome, thanks!

2. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

3. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

For sure the Boss scoop over the Mach 1. The Mach 1 looked sort of small on a Mustang hood. The Ranchero hood is measured in acreage, and the scoop might get lost.

Grafting a 72 GT scoop on would be your best and most stylish option. In my opinion.

[​IMG]

4. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

A Shaker would be cool too.

Kiwirancher, beerbelly and Forrest like this.
  5. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

I think both of you guys are right. I was hoping not to have to paint the hood which could be a total pain in the azz to try and match my old sun faded mustard color.... the boss does look a lot better but again I can’t find one that bolts on, with was what I was hoping to do and paint it satin black and continue to just drive the damn thing. The Mach 1 is extremely skinny with was my first concern.

I thought about grafting the 72 but once again. Lots of body work and I don’t want to paint the whole care yet ... even though I prolly should.

ForistellFord likes this.
  6. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I agree with ForistellFord. As long as you plan to cut the hood, why not?

10080495-1973-ford-ranchero-std.jpg

Kiwirancher and ForistellFord like this.
  7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Too small, like your, you know.

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  8. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Hands??

9. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

I put a Mach 1 scoop on one of my 66 Mustang's hood. The turn signals on the back require two big holes for the signal housings to stick through if you want the lights. A few years back I put a 72 scoop on my 79 hood. It had to have the underside support frame to hold the cast part. Played around with this about 3 days. With a 3 ft X 3ft hole on top it's a lot of welding and hoping warpage is minimal. A Boss 429 scoop might be a good size for these big hoods.

10. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

[​IMG]

HVAC22 likes this.
  11. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

Shaker looks great but budget is also an issue as always. Not trying to be a complete cheap ass but you know. Sell some stuff to buy some stuff type of deal over here and I’m a hoarder haha

12. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Yes,graph a 72 scoop on or swap a complete 72 front clip.Epoxy a fiberglass scoop on will result in a fail.
    12122721_1296539277028756_6255062424360451136_n.jpg

TestDummy and Forrest like this.
  13. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

That’s some good body work there ... might have to fly my buddy in from KC to get that wizardry going

14. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

here ya go...not exactly cheap tho...

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mu...berglass-Bolt-On-1969-1970-Boss-429-Style.axd

https://www.cjponyparts.com/hood-scoop-fiberglass-unpainted-bolt-on-boss-429-1969-1970/p/HDSC3/

https://www.classicindustries.com/p...MIr7yshIjz3wIVyR6tBh28swZiEAMYAyAAEgL33PD_BwE

15. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I went thru the same exercise with my '70. Ended up with a fixer upper GT hood. If you are handy with the fiberglass, I wonder if you could graft 2 of these together (sorta like 2/3 of the left and 2/3 of the right) and make it fit the scale of the hood better and not look like a Mustang scoop.
    [​IMG]

Forrest likes this.
  16. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

I think I am
    Actually looking at those on eBay right now.

I can’t decide between these two...

1969-1970 Mustang Boss 429 Style Bolt On Fiberglass Hood Scoop - Made In The USA https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/113425503421

Mustang Hood Scoop Fiberglass Unpainted Bolt-On Boss 429 1969-1970 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/382695543421

One has a lip around the base. The other doesn’t. And the black one looks more aggressive as the other is softer around the edges. .... anybody think one might look better? I’ll prolly paint it satin and try to get a 400 badge on the side like the Mach 1’s

17. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

I actually considered that. We are doing a lot of fiberglass work here at my job soon but I’d hate to buy two and screw it all up haha

18. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

"I actually considered that. We are doing a lot of fiberglass work here at my job soon but I’d hate to buy two and screw it all up haha"

Pffft. A Sawzall, a hammer, a six-pack--what could possibly go wrong?

Forrest likes this.
  19. Forrest

Forrest In Second Gear

If I were going to attempt it I would need a cut off wheel and a twelve pack haha

Jeff B likes this.
  20. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

1:46 to 1:50.

Forrest likes this.