390-428 new adapters

Discussion in 'Ranchero Parts for Sale LINKS' started by grebaba, Feb 8, 2019.

1. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Hillbilly
    I want your engine.
    When can I pick it up.

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Sorry Boss, it is still part of the Cyclone and I intend to die still owning it.

3. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

I was afraid of that.
    Greg

4. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Aluminum heads let ya get away with some extra compression. Have been up to 11.75 on pump gas, of course cam was ground to bleed off a little pressure on bottom end. Good heads and set up right have been able to keep timing down around 34 degrees total without loosing anything at the track, the ultimate test.
    Boss9 or SOHC that would be a dilemma. Either one would make a cool grandma's car.

5. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

I would like to get away with 34 degrees of timing but all the FE's I have built in the past seemed to like 38 to 40.
    Will see how it works out. Still waiting for the machine shop to work me in.
    Need to get the block align bored and decked etc.
    Bad thing is my grandma never had a car.
    Greg

6. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Mine had a Gremlin X, which I wanted so bad. It was the first car I ever actually drove, around the church parking lot. Glad she sold it before I got my license.

7. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

The first car I ever drove was a 49 chevy 2 dr fastback when I was 9.
    It belonged to my best friends sister. He got her keys somehow and we were driving in the dirt road behind the housing.
    When it was my turn I got up to much speed and hit a 10 inch deep ravine which ran the length of the road and it threw me into a blue and white 56 Oldsmobile.
    My butt still hurts when I think about that.

8. HVAC22

HVAC22 In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

She will drive the heck out of it no matter what the engine size. A 429 or 428 would thrill the hell out of me though! :)
    Luckily she knows her limitations so no wrecked vehicles yet. :confused: Guess I'm lucky like Hillbilly

9. HVAC22

HVAC22 In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

Wow, a Gremlin, word! Wife had a Red Chevrolet Chevette, manual. When Prince came out with his song Little Red Corvette she would crank it up and sing along changing the words to Little Red Chevette. I didn't care as long as I got what Iwas after. Now that all I hear when that song comes on the radio. Once we got married I put a clutch in that rascal and sold it. Never owned any Chevrolet since. :cool:

TestDummy likes this.
  10. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Find what works for ya in the timing different quench and shape combustion chambers among others will control what ya need,
    Something wrong with mains? I stay away from line honing and boring only do to fix bad block ie spun bearing or so. Was taught if it needs that sell the block.
    Deck the block get some cheap compression, oh yeah.
    Plenty different philosophies to building engines Do what works for you. It's just an air pump.

11. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

My problem with the mains is that the last machine shop lost them along with a few new parts that I left with them.
    I was able to find a set on this forum and will have it aligned. They look like they fit good as the parting lines match up but still will need it.
    The heads I bought were new in the box aluminum I got for $300 at an auction.
    Medium riser. I will have a 3 angle valve job done on the new SI valves I got from Brent.
    Can't get in the machine shop until they can work it in so it will be a little while until I can get it together.
    Greg

12. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

That's a good reason to do the bore of mains. Stinks to loose parts that way.
    Good deal on heads!
    If you have the time a little "bowl" work can gain some HP, careful with the short turn.
    My quandary do I tear into matching numbers 428CJ while car is in body shop or leave it alone for now and get another engine to play with. Hmmmm

13. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

There is a gotcha on FE's most folks ignore. Due to the shape of the intake to heads matching surface you need to pay close attention to the intake fit. You may have to have metal removed from the front and back surfaces of the intake where it meets the block. The intake has to match the surfaces on the heads where the intake gaskets sit. Without a good match the intake gaskets can leak drawing air and oil from the lifter valley and drive you nuts hunting the vacume leak. Any good machine shop can fix this problem.

14. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

You'd be correct Hillbilly. Intake bottoming out on china wall. The intake not sealing and the unseen vacumm leak. Arrgghh!
    At least it usually don't happen unless taking a lot off deck or heads.

15. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

I am planning to deck the block to 10.160.
    That has worked for me in the past. Its not going to be a race motor just a mild street engine. I will hit the 1/4 about 10 or 12 times a year. its a 190 mile round trip or I would go more.
    I am using the FE Power intake adapter so will pay close attention to the intake to head interface. Hopefully I won't have to remove the adapter until the next rebuild.
    Right now I am deciding on the Trick Flow 351C intake or the Weiand Tunnel Ram.
    It will be EFI so if I go with the Weiand it is going to cost a bit more.
    Greg

16. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Sounds like a plan. That's quite a ride to the track.

17. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Its mainly a street car.
    The Ranchero will be mainly a drag car. It put out 638 HP on the dyno and with the suspension mods it should do fairly well on the strip.
    Not an all out race car but a fun ride.
    Greg

18. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Nice power number. What kind of rear suspension mods on chero?
    Have a number of tracks within 1 - 1 -1/2 hours here.
    Figure mine for nice driver, show a little and if urge hits go to track.

19. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Thanks
    Off the top of my head
    On the rear I have a Roush-Yates 9 inch with Daytona pinion.
    Calvert suspension traction bars and mono leafs with their adjustable shocks. I have also installed sub frame connectors. Disc brakes.
    On the front I have global west tubular a arms with adjustable ball joints, Aldan American coil over shocks
    I also switched to hydro boost brakes and a Borgerson power steering.
    Replaced all the rubber with poly.
    Converted the hidden headlights from vacuum to electric.
    On the first day on the dyno it maxed out at 707 HP. I am running a C6 and was thinking it wouldnot be very drivable so I pull the cam and installed a smaller one and came up with 658 on the second day. I will run this and hope it is a streetable car. May switch the C6 for a overdrive later but I all ready built the C6 so I will try it out and see how it goes.
    Be glad when it warms up so I can get back in the shop.
    I built this for a good running street car and it will live on the street 90% of the time.
    If that is your car in the avatar it looks really good. One of my favorite body styles.
    Greg

20. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

You've done lots there some nice pieces. Figured I would ask as looks like a lot of spring to wrap up on Chero.
    Thought about doing old trick wrap 1/8" flat steel around spring from eye to rear , makes it act more like solid old super stock trick.
    I figure on mine if R's are to high would put a gear vendor overdrive on before on electronic OD trans. Stronger and not as many issues, mechanical works electronics can be a pain installing and or diagnosing.
    Waiting for temps to get better here in Pa myself unheated garage, I say no.
    Avatar is of 90 Le Baron Haas chassis was mechanic/clutch man/ transport driver for team. Ran Top Sportsman/Pro-Mod with it went 6.85 @205 and change. All done on someone else's dime. Ran 615/622 Cid and built a 685 mopar for it. 685 900fTLBS @ 4000 AND 1650hP @ 6500 when coupler on dyno broke overrev to who knows where titanium intake exited thru side of block. Oh power numbers without the nitrous had at least 600 more when activated 2 stage days.
    Was fun while it lasted, set record went to work monday after test and tune sunday and doors closed that was it.