Lost in Harley Land

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by HVAC22, Feb 12, 2019.

1. HVAC22

HVAC22 In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

You are so damn perceptive. Had thought about it last year when my brother-in-laws, we used to ride together in 83 he hasn't been on a bike either since then, girlfriend bought him a Harley. Kinda started to get the itch but was talking to him at Christmas and he said he had only ridden it 10 times or so and has put it in the barn. Said girlfriend dropped it in barn while playing around with him and now it will not start.

ForistellFord likes this.
  2. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

My middle name is actually Perceptive. Foristell P. Ford.

We're all here to make sure your best interests are kept in mind. No one wants to see something go bad for any reason. The ultimate decision of course will be yours.

If I was in a similar situation as you were and the trade bait dangling was something I really liked, it would be easy for me to want to go all in without thinking it through as far as possible. It's like "I know I may not use it that much, I know it may be break-even or worse. But damn, that's pretty flippin' cool! Daddy Want!!!" But then maybe after sitting back and thinking, you realize it may not be best after all.

But hey, maybe it would be a good deal in the end, right? ;)

HVAC22 likes this.
  3. HVAC22

May
    What value have you gotten, mmmm…, guess that would depend on the depreciation of the value of the bike over time. Your are right, a lot of good advise from here. Majority seems to be move on.

4. ForistellFord

Yes, there's the monetary side. But if you keep it forever and ride the wheels off, that wouldn't really be a problem since you did get a lot of value out of it (intrinsic value such as fun and happiness counts too). I bought a 96 E-350 for $2300 back in 2012. It is my daily driver and I never plan to be rid of it. So whether or not I got a good deal on it back then, or what I *could* sell it for today, doesn't matter. I got tons of 'value' out of it. Super comfortable and tows the planet without breaking a sweat.

Sorry, I edited that post after you saw it and added that last part.

Kiwirancher likes this.
  5. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

Yeah @HVAC22 I got one tagged, the 98 model with 166,000+ miles on it, and a low mileage 96 V4 MAGNA in waiting, for when/IF >> I MAY have to replace the 750 Shadow ACE I currently ride...

Honda is Reliable as "all get out"

As for me, I`d Stick with the bikes you KNOW, Make $$$ off the AC job,
    As Is

6. ForistellFord

This coming from a guy who sleeps on his bike (sometimes while riding even).

TestDummy, As Is '66 and plumcolr like this.
  7. HVAC22

Dang AS IS 66, I was just wanting one to ride.

8. As Is '66

Go for it, it`s your Choice & Your $$$$

But I KNOW a Honda is what you really want ;) :D:D

Get the $$ and buy yourself a Honda,
    As Is

9. As Is '66

I didn`t know you Knew that ;)

It`s fishing season,
    D

10. HVAC22

A very nice looking, comfortable bike would be nice to ride down to our house at the coast.

11. HVAC22

Update time, did not get the Harley. Carried my best friend over with me to take it to dealer to get idea of value and he fell for it so he bought it. Worked out great for me because customer happy with his offer, customer buys new system from me and friend hooks me up with one of his pals for a new system. :):):).
    Meanwhile my friends friend friend had a 93 Cherokee Country 4x4 that he ran with bad catalytic converter,had a horrible miss,figured he burnt valves he didn't want it so he gave it to me. SCORE, I love Jeeps too! Has 130k miles,pulled head to find the head gasket had a 1/2" gap burnt through it between cylinder 3 & 4. Head and valves in great shape. Put back together, run beautifully. Sooo thats where and what I have been doing! ;)

12. ForistellFord

Now there's a happy ending!!

13. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That's Chevy S1o's he sleep-drives, I think. Honest mistake.

14. HVAC22

Got the Jeep running great! Added some LED headlights and LED light bar. Ready to put her up for sale. Maybe add a little more dough for the Ranchero.:cool:

Attached Files:

15. Freestyle Don

Freestyle Don In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Hope y`all don`t mind me piggyback to this thread. I did hear motorcycle? We lost a great guy! RIP Arlen Ness!

I met Arlen back in the early 1960`s. His `day job` was delivering furniture/appliances for Wiseman`s Furniture in Hayward. I lived in Hayward, CA and he delivered something I had bought. I was renting a house and there was an old Harley frame out in the weeds. It was there when I moved there. So it really wasn`t mine.......He noticed it and asked if I wanted to sell? Yea, what`ll you give? $5……………ok.

Years later I ran into Arlen in Danville CA at a car show. I reintroduced myself and asked if he remembered? After a short pause he said “I remember that”. Joyce quickly stated” well, we want it back”. We all had a good laugh.

He really was a great down to earth guy. Motorcycle world lost a great one. God speed, Arlen!
    DC
    note: l/s Don, Arlen, friend Tom McCrea

Attached Files:

16. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Lot's of,... There, how does it turn out.

17. HVAC22

I don't mind the piggy back. Always good to hear someone recognize the great guys and gals that were inspirational to those of us they blessed. God rest his soul!

Freestyle Don likes this.