What to do with 73' Ranchero GT 429

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Gun Guy, Apr 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Gun Guy

Gun Guy In First Gear

So I recently acquired an all numbers matching Ranchero GT with a 429 engine. It needs paint and some interior work. Recromed bumpers, new tires but the American Racing wheels are original (needs polished). I read online that high retail is 50k. I find that hard to believe. Don't want to dump a ton of money into it but I will if the return on investment is worth while. Definitely need some advice, everyone.

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Ranchero model cars do not typically draw that kind of money while noting that "never say never" applies. Restored or restomoded/upgraded cars can and have fetched resale prices in the $15,000 to $20,000 price range to the "right buyer" but it is rather rare - and I haven't personally seen one that has sold in the numbers you mentioned. If you are looking for return on investment this probably isn't something that is going to realize a substantial sum. The 1973 model year was a one year build specific to the front clip and was a transition year to upgraded bumper safety requirements that resulted in a grill design that some folks found lacking aesthetically (others found it acceptable), it was also a year where more intensive smog control devices were added (reducing power and performance) and that makes the '73 a bit of a challenge in attracting buyers.

The Ranchero community is a small interest group that usually likes the cars for their uniqueness and utility, most are routinely driven, with the occasional take it to local shine and shows (if the owner is into that). Most folks here tend to keep their Rancheros for their enjoyment of the platform - few are looking at their cars with the view that it is a good investment.

If you don't have a desire to restore/rebuild and keep it for your own personal enjoyment and you are looking for a return on investment you may well be better served to see if you can sell it. I personally would probably do a good running and appearance type of restoration with the view that I would be keeping it to drive and enjoy. JMHO, YMMV.

3. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

The 73 happens to be my favorite model year, so I'm one of the folks who finds it "acceptable" :rolleyes:. 73 was also the highest single year for model production, so it sort of the least rare one ever made...

Have any pictures of it?

72GTVA likes this.
  4. Gun Guy

Gun Guy In First Gear

Thanks so much, that helps me out quite a bit.

5. Gun Guy

Gun Guy In First Gear

I only have a couple now but I'll try to upload later. Im having trouble because I'm using my phone and the site tells me that the picture is too large.

Perhaps you know a good source for interior parts?

6. ForistellFord

Sorry, no. But I'm sure there are folks here who do.

7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

No. Do you?

8. ForistellFord

No, that's why I was asking.

9. Gun Guy

Gun Guy In First Gear

Well, unfortunately water has gotten into the cab and made a mess on the interior. The vents between the windshield and hood were plugged with leaves and the water overflowed into the cab somehow. The fuze box is destroyed. The 429 engine and transmission are fine though. I'm going to sell it for $1,500 if I can.

10. ForistellFord

And I guess plenty of rusting out too. Where is the thing located?

11. Gun Guy

Gun Guy In First Gear

The body is solid, quarter panels and all. But if I don't find and take care of the leak it won't last. It's in Rainier, Oregon. A LOT of rain up here.

12. ForistellFord

A cover will take care of the leak pretty quick! ;) Get that thing dried out so it can see the road again someday.

13. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Clean out and dry the cowl vents then buy a magnetic for sale sign, cut it to fit over the vents that will keep the leaves out and hopefully keep it dry.

14. Gun Guy

Gun Guy In First Gear

I know. Simple solution you'd think. The best I can do is a tarp.

15. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

A tarp is 1000% better than no tarp. If it's easy, do it!

Joseph