Old yeller lives again

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Cullen McTaggart, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Cullen McTaggart

Cullen McTaggart In Third Gear SILVER MEMBER

Hey everyone had a chance to take the Chero up to my work and put her on a lift and after finding 1 small rear main seal leak another small powerstearing leak on my way home I jumped timing so this leads me to my list of questions 1 what kind of timing chain and gear set does everyone recommend and water pump and powerstearing pump

Attached Files:

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You'll want a 'true dual-roller' timing set, but even a standard aftermarket set is better than the factory aluminum and nylon cam gear that my '74 Squire's Cleveland had. As for water and power steering, a new aluminum pump is better than cast iron; and a new P/S pump, if it's the newer plastic reservoir and not the older steel reservoir, as those are only available as remanufactured. Of course, you could put an updated pump from a '77-'79 intermediate in your rig also, if it has the steel reservoir one..

TestDummy likes this.
  3. Cullen McTaggart

Awesome thanks

TestDummy likes this.
  4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Andy is correct, for once.

5. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Cullen, I have no part numbers to offer, but in some cases you can use a different timing set and gain a little cam advance for a little performance boost. Someone here might be able to direct you or make note that I am really wrong. Might be worth a Google to see.

6. handy_andy_cv64

I thought you were running a Cleveland, Cullen? If you are, it doesn't require an 'advance' timing set, as the 351C was never given the IMCO upgrades that went into the other Ford engines, why it was last used in '74, why it was the last that had point-condenser ignition. If you have another engine, then if it is newer than '74, an 'advance' timing set would give you more power.

7. Cullen McTaggart

I am indeed running a Cleveland

8. Cullen McTaggart

Well here's an update I found a few vaccum leaks after taking the carb off and tightening the block off plate and hoping the other ones wouldnt matter as much and starting her back up she runs 30 times better I'm idling at 45mph though so I need to retard my timing a tad and then figure out the rest of the leaks and I think we are good for the summer

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  9. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

???

Joseph

Cullen McTaggart likes this.
  10. Cullen McTaggart

colnago likes this.
  11. handy_andy_cv64

Do you know what your engine RPMs are? Because "45 miles per hour" doesn't mean anything as far as idle speed. And you may have a block-off plate instead of the factory spacer/EGR plate, but if you still have the factory intake, and the intake gaskets do not block the exhaust gas passages, you will need a new steel/graphite lower plate gasket, otherwise the exhaust gases are likely to have eroded the old gasket into the intake throat. Then, since you replaced that, you might as well do the spacer-to-carb gasket. I'm willing to bet you have a dandy of a leak you can't hear.

colnago likes this.
  12. Cullen McTaggart

No I'm waiting to get the motivation to swap the gt cluster in and hook up the tach but i can here and feel that I'm idling too high as for intake I'm running a edelbrock I forget which one eventually I'll drop the other edelbrock performer rpm intake I have onto it just haven't had the time I have new graphite seals and yeah I'm sure she is leaking like a siv thanks for all the help everyone

13. handy_andy_cv64

You should hop on ePay, buy a Sears engine analyzer as I did years ago. The money I paid for it was a very good investment, and is useful for not only checking engine speed, but properly setting dwell if your ignition is points.

14. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

I have all of those "old-fashioned" tools, and I know how to use them on my cars. I can't do a thing on my wife's Camry, though!

Joseph