Air filter

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Ironmelter, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Ironmelter

Ironmelter In First Gear

I have looked at every air filter on the market listings for my 1965 289 V8 original air cleaner housing. I have 2 housings identical , and the suggested filters are 1/2 inch too tall . The filter has to be around 2 3/4" tall to be able to get the lid on. Any suggestions . The 3 1/4 in. tall ones wont work..
    Thanks Ironmelter

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

For sure, the heights have been monkeyed with over the decades, and modern corporations only carry what's selling the best. Having said that, have you gone to the local parts store, seen about ordering? It might net you the correct filter size, so buying three or four at one time should keep you set up for several years.

3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Look at K&N - they have quite the assortment.

4. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

5. Ironmelter

Ironmelter In First Gear

I have spent hours in parts stores . I had the same problem with a 70 econoline

6. Ironmelter

Ironmelter In First Gear

I was hoping someone would pop thiers open and give me the number off thier filter...

7. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

I don't have a number, but maybe you can convert to an oil-bath air filter. That may not be stock to your '65, but it was stock for many mid'60s Fords. Just thinking out loud, so my feelings won't get hurt if you ignore me.

Joseph

8. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Any chance a previous owner switched the housing giving you a false filter mismastch?

9. Ironmelter

Ironmelter In First Gear

No I have 2 alike, one off a wagon same thing and two filters that are 1/2" too tall so this problem existed for a while ...lol

10. Ironmelter

Ironmelter In First Gear

Thanks but it must remain origional there is a large investment in keeping it origional

11. 72GTVA

What engine do you have (I got the 289, is it a sprint - what engine code? Based on your profile picture and taking a SWAG I am guessing you need the Ford B7SZ-9601-A aka Ford Motorcraft FA-41 filter, but if you can tell me what engine you have I can narrow that down better to another Ford/Motorcraft part number.

12. Ironmelter

Ironmelter In First Gear

I have the 289 V8 2 barrel carb. the filter is going to have to be 2 3/4" tall the ones that NPD and parts stores have are 3 1/4" tall which won't work . The profile pic is the housing that came with the Ranchero in 1965
    Thanks Chuck Ironmelter

13. 72GTVA

Do you currently have a filter that fits? What is the diameter, outside and inside. Asking so I can compare what you have with the parts books.

14. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I agree with 72GTVA; the FA-41 seems like the right height, but the diameter is still the question. Here's the measurements for the FA-41 and a Fram CA133 at Amazon:

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 5.16.57 AM.png

15. 72GTVA

Looking at the parts books, it appears you probably have the C5ZZ-9600-W air cleaner. With that air cleaner, the parts books show the
    Ford B7SZ-9601-A / Ford Motorcraft FA-41 filter.

This assumes the air cleaner assembly you have wasn't swapped in from something else, who knows what mysterious things happen to these cars over the years.

If you have measurements as asked above perhaps we can come up with a better set of answers. However, based on what "should" be there, the air filter you need is a Ford Motorcraft FA-41 which is available at multiple places such as Rock Auto and probably any Ford Motorcraft dealer.

Here is an assembled set of captures from the Ford Parts Books:

air cleaner info.jpg

16. Ironmelter

Ironmelter In First Gear

:
    Product Height : 3.23"
    Product I.D. : 6.63"
    Product O.D. : 8.41"
    All deminsions are correct except the hieght whicb needs to be 2 3/4 + - a hair. The sizes I listed are what the numbers crossed over come up to be.

17. Ironmelter

Ironmelter In First Gear

Product Height : 3.23"
    Product I.D. : 6.63"
    Product O.D. : 8.41"
    All deminsions are correct except the hieght whicb needs to be 2 3/4 + - a hair. The sizes I listed are what the numbers crossed over come up to be.

18. beerbelly

19. beerbelly

20. Ironmelter

Ironmelter In First Gear

This is the problem I have 2 Falcon housings both have 1/2 inch too tall filters in them. They are the original on both and are identical. One stuck up above the housing and the other had been crudely crushed to fit in...lol housing is in picture
    Product Height : 3.23" wrong needs to be 2.75
    Product I.D. : 6.63" right
    Product O.D. : 8.41" right