Aftermarket Tach installed and then, well...

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by john777, Jun 21, 2019.

1. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

It is a 3 core Champion all aluminum #CC390, it is a less expensive aluminum rad, but the welds look good and it has served me very well for over 7 years. The only issue I had with my Champion wasn't the fault of the radiator, I had rust scale get into the internal tubes and partially blocked some. The radiator's internal tubes have a small cross section which allows a higher count per inch but can block-up more easily. Once I back flushed the radiator a couple times all has been good, that was over 6.5 years ago. The Dorman unit #620-102 is for a '95'98 Ford Windstar w/ 3.8, a '99-'03 Ford Windstar cooling fan assembly may also be an option, Dorman #620-131, just never used and/or tested one since the '95-'98 units have more fan blades and have been tested to over 4200 cfm of cooling. The alternator is Lester #7765, fits a '94 Ford Taurus with 3.0 OHV engine. Here are some pics of rad and a used Windstar cooling fan assembly for mock up purposes.

'95 Windstar cooling fan assembly, shows where I clearanced the shroud to clear the upper/lower radiator hoses, drain petcock and trans lines.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I installed a 1/8" x 3/4" galvanized flat stock inside fan shroud to keep flex down them used 3/16" rivets to adhere it the plastic Windstar shroud. (2) 1/8" x 1" galv flat stock bent into an "L" to attach shroud to radiator top rail. Bottom brackets look the same and fit into factory lower brackets.
    [​IMG]

It is close but fits quite well and can be serviced even with someonebear paws for hands. Note upper radiator mounts, I redrilled them to pull radiator closer to core support for the most working room. This pic was taken within the first 2 months of my electric fan install.
    [​IMG]

As you can see there is quite a bit of vlearance from water pump/pulley, electric motors fit on either side. Upper alternator bolt is close but you can remove the alternator without any fuss.
    [​IMG]

This pic was taken within the last 3 years, note different A/C compressor
    [​IMG]

Standard 20/40 amp relay on right, 70 amp relay on left, note terminal size. I buy these at U-pull-it yards for less than a buck a piece and I have NEVER had an issue with the factory used relays, NO failures.
    [​IMG]

I added a fuse panel from an import car not sure if it was a Honda, Hyundai, or what, really helps with my cooling fan and cooling fan controllers as well as all my other electrical needs. Wiring has been much improved/cleaned up since this pic.
    [​IMG]

This was my first attempt at my Windstar install, not doube clamps in upper radiator hose, I had an inline filter to get rid of my engines rust scale. Here you can also see my large case 3G alternator.
    [​IMG]

Champion @CC390 all aluminum radiator.
    [​IMG]

Welds look good and I have never had a leak issue.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was my first attempt at installing my large case 3G alternator, note old radiator and V-belt pulley sheave on alternator. I now use a multi-rib pulley on alternator and belt with a modified crank pulley to get rid of belt squeal.
    [​IMG]

When installing a large case 3G, you can get rid of all the original alternator and voltage regulator wiring EXCEPT for the Light Green/Red Stripe wire from the VR plug, this wire energizes the 3G to charge when the ignition switch is in the ON/RUN position. Here is a wiring diagram I used to wire mine. It says 95 amp alternator but the wiring is the same for a 130 amp alternator, except for changing the mega fuse from 100 to 175 amps.
    [​IMG]

Below shows 2 different large case 130 amp 3G alternators, I used the one on the left (Lester #7765) and fit was excellent and very closely matches the factory original 1G 55 amp alt. The pivot bolt will be at the top and adjustment "boss" will be at the bottom.
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the long reply. Hope this info is helpful in some way. Todd

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    pmrphil likes this.
  2. john777

john777 In Overdrive

WOW! Thank you. I'll let you know what i end up doing. Thanks for taking the time to do this...

3. aquartlow

You are very welcome, hope it helps with your decision making(in either way of course).

rancheromac and john777 like this.
  4. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Update. After thinking it over, I’m just going to get a wider Howe radiator and just bought this fan:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1971-...des/273815280251?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Getting a new alternator and electric fan set up was going to take up too much time and brain cells. I’ll save that for another day.
    I want to get that Starshifter in as well when this all happens.

I ordered a 31 inch wide Howe Radiator and the Starshifter. Will seek out a new shroud to cover the 31inches

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  5. john777

john777 In Overdrive

I received the drop shipped radiator from Howe, Howe'ever the lower port was angled up and the hose would not fit around the PS pump pulley etc. Had to Mail it back and bought a 31 inch Griffin...

6. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Installed the griffin Radiator and new fan. Running no shroud now, will see how that goes. The shifter was also installed and works great.
    I'm finished for the rest of the summer....

7. john777

john777 In Overdrive

pmrphil likes this.
  8. rancheromac

rancheromac In Third Gear

Hi Aquartlow, I have followed your windstar fan posts for years and thats what I am doing currently. Great info always from you !! But I thought you had told me you dont use a shroud ? But this current post is showing you using the shroud out of the windstar vehichle ? Also, thanks for recently selling me the shift cable ! Would you have a correct dipstick for my mark 5 460 inplanted into my 79 Ranchero, just like yours I believe. Thats why I am doing most mods you have posted since 2009 back on another site we were/are still on Again thanks for your years of help !

handy_andy_cv64 likes this.
  9. aquartlow

Yes, I use the cooling fan assembly sourced from a '95-'98 Windstar, shroud is integral with the assembly. I do not have any extra oil dipsticks. If possible just about any Ford dipstick will "work", change oil pour in 5 qts and replace filter with a Motordraft FL1-A, start engine then let sit for a bit and mark dipstick where oil level is and that would be your full mark(add mark is about 5/8-3/4" lower).

colnago likes this.
  10. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

As the block and pan in the '70s 460's with front sump were all the same, as long as a front sump dipstick and tube are pulled off the same engine, he would not have to re-mark the dipstick, and would fit without any problems in fit.

11. aquartlow

True ^^, I was just referring to using other Ford V8 dipsticks if he could not find a 70's front sumped 460 dipstick.

ForistellFord likes this.
  12. john777

john777 In Overdrive

13. john777

john777 In Overdrive

With the new Hurst shifter, I went from 12.8sec 105mph to best 12.1 112 mph.

I had 9 runs, several 12.2’s.

pmrphil and ForistellFord like this.
  14. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That's a fast Ranchero!

15. handy_andy_cv64

A fire-breathing Fishmouth!

16. john777

john777 In Overdrive

The last run of the day....

17. handy_andy_cv64

Niiiice! A fire-breathing Draggin' Fish! That's your rig's name now--"Draggin' Fish!"

john777 likes this.
  18. stabmasterarson

stabmasterarson In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

What was your time on that run?