It's Alive!!!

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Raindog, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Raindog

Raindog In Second Gear

Parked my 65 in the garage 6 years ago and finally got back to her this week. I changed oil, filter and spark plugs. New battery. Shot some Marvelous Mystery Oil in each cylinder spun the crank a few times with a wrench and let her sit overnight. I thought the gas tank was empty so I was going to drop it and clean it out but instead I thought I'd pour a little gas in the carb and see if she's gonna try to fire. She lit for a second which was encouraging so I decide to replace the fuel filter and research the tank removal. When I removed filter there was gas present. Replaced filter. I pumped pedal a couple of times and after a couple tries she fired up and ran! I let her idle for a minute and then shut her down. Long way from road worthy as all brakes need to be done but I'm stoked. Turns out there was a gallon or so of gas still in tank. Not a real mechanic but I've seen one on TV so what do you all think I should do with tank? Still remove and clean? Pour in some fresh high test and let her go? Any advice much appreciated...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    JimmyMac likes this.
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'd take a look inside, see the condition first. If there's discoloration, but no rusting, I'd put all new rubber parts on, from the tank to the carb. But start with the inspection.

3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

4. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Be ready to replace the tank. If they sit a few years without gasoline splashing around, they want to rust out. Sadly, I know this one.

5. Raindog

Raindog In Second Gear

Thanks for the replies. Was hoping not to have to drop the tank but can see now I should to inspect. I spent an afternoon with impact driver removing bolts from "inspection plate" in the bed thinking I would be able to access the sending unit and remove before dropping tank. Well you all know how that worked out. I've got the Ford shop manual but their was no reference to that. It looks like a bitch to get the sending unit out without dropping tank first like the manual states. Does the SU need to come out before dropping tank or is there a work around?

6. beerbelly

You should find a short rubber fuel line and a wire coming out of the sending unit at the front edge of the tank. Disconnect the wire, unhook the rubber hose at the SU, and you're ready to drop the tank; the sending unit comes with it.

7. Raindog

Raindog In Second Gear

Thanks. You're right. I re-read the manual and I had got it wrong first time. Not gonna be sucking on the end of a siphon hose got any easier way?

8. beerbelly

9. Raindog

Raindog In Second Gear

10. handy_andy_cv64

Do you have an air compressor at your garage? If so, you can still siphon the tank by using a blow gun to create a venturi at the end of a long piece of hose, which will draw the fuel, creating the siphon. Just make sure you jack the rear end as high as possible.

11. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Sounds like me. More questions than answers!

Joseph

12. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I attached a regulator to an old gas cap, set to 5 psi. Drained all but a teaspoon out of three tanks that way up at the fuel pump.

handy_andy_cv64 and colnago like this.
  13. handy_andy_cv64

Ahhhh, you used science to empty the tank! Good on you!

TestDummy likes this.
  14. TestDummy

I'll lend out my cap setup, if interested.

15. handy_andy_cv64

For those who would need it, it's a gracious offer.

16. TestDummy

I am known for my grace, among other things. :rolleyes:

17. Raindog

Raindog In Second Gear

Thanks to all for the advice and help so far. I pulled the tank and there was about a gallon of gas left in there. Much to my surprise the tank was clean as a whistle. I swished around a half can of Seafoam and drained. Ready to re-install but was wondering about paper like strips that were between the tank and straps and tank and undercarriage. They were pretty spent so I was thinking of replacing with 1.25" foam seal used between camper shells and beds. Unless the original strips were some kind of spark/heat resistant material. Thoughts?

18. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

You could cut some strips to fit out of roofing paper.

pmrphil and Doc76251 like this.
  19. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

You don't want to use foam tape it holds water.

Cheers,

Doc

FordR500GT and 1965 Ranchero 66G like this.
  20. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

That's why I suggested the roofing paper.