72 Ranchero tonneau cover

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by GRUMANIA, Jul 22, 2019.

1. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

Hi, does anyone know a supplier for a tonneau cover that fits a 72 Chero ? Laderaumabdeck.jpg

2. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Did you try a upholsterer may be one specializing in boat covers?
    After I posted my answer I see you are in Germany
    I am not familiar with the trades over there but I would imagine they have similar vendors there

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I agree. Or an upholsterer who also does cabriolet tops.

4. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

Yes, of course.But I thought it might be possible that there`s a company who made it before and offers it as a standard product.Our local upholsteries could do it, but that would be tailormade and very expensive. 700$ for a simple piece of canvas with some push buttons ? I´d rather make it on my own.

5. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

I did an extensive search - sadly I couldn't find any group or company that is currently making tonneau covers for our Rancheros. I bought mine many years ago (1979) from JC Whitney of all places, in their catalog at the time it was listed as "Colorful Tonneau Covers" and came with the screw in snaps, bows, a pull through seal at the front of the bed and the cover itself. Still have it and plan to modify it for future use. Suspect the demand has fallen well below the threshold that merits continuing production. Methinks your answer of making your own will be the least expensive and likely the most satisfying for you in the long term.

With a little thought and planning I'd be willing to bet that you could make one that would serve you well and avoid screwing snaps into the bed trim rails or quarter panels/tailgate. The holes from the snaps were not fun to weld up during a restoration on one of my previous cars.

6. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

Yes, I think this will not be too hard to make.The snaps on the quarter panes and tailgate are existing and its "just" transferring their positions to the cover, make a nice stitching all around.Maybe the supports under the cover can be challenging.....

7. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

8. Anton Olafsson

Anton Olafsson In Second Gear

9. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

Would buy it if he shipped the item, but he`s not even accepting mails.......
    Seems the homemade version is the way to go.
    The "sockel covers" are perfect by the way !

10. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Difficult to do, or just time-consuming because you had so many to do?

Joseph

11. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

Try Crafteccovers.com. I know they make Ranchero covers up to 1969. Might be worth a call.(and no snaps)

12. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

All of the above - a lot of holes that needed heat sinks applied at each weld site to keep from warping the steel and then grinding each weld smooth. When I did that MIG was rather new tech, TIG wasn't easy to get and tremendously expensive, and most body shops were still welding with oxy/acetylene rigs which was major warp city without extreme care. I had a MIG but it was still time consuming and required a lot of care. On Bluefish I replaced the entire quarter panels instead of repeating the weld up on the tonneau cover holes (to be fair though there were other issues with rust low that helped push that choice).