Deluxe / standard dash advice

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by neil brown, Oct 8, 2019.

1. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Whenever I buy a used car, I have been known to lower the amount I put on the registration papers, just so I don't pay so much sales tax to the state. But don't tell anyone I said that … :rolleyes:

Joseph

2. colnago

Well, they can keep it in beta. &%^$*#@!

Joseph

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It's fricking reciprocity. Bullshit, TBS.

4. neil brown

neil brown In Second Gear

Just to add to the deluxe thing, I have all the deluxe panels on the dash but has never had a dash top pad.

5. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Same on mine Neil. From the literature I have, the padded dash is part of the "Safety Package" option, over & above the Deluxe trim package:

IMG_2177.JPG

neil brown likes this.
  6. colnago

Interesting. I checked the VIN on the door tag, and it matches the VIN on the inner fenders. It also looks to be original. The body style is marked as 66B, which is a Ranchero Deluxe. I have the chrome around the box, and behind the cab, but not on the rocker panels. I have the padded dash, but not the dash deluxe instrument panels, or any signs of mounting holes. The PO could have welded them closed, but there's no sign of that behind the dash. But she is 55 years old, so anything could have happened during that lifetime.

Joseph

neil brown likes this.
  7. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Mine has the nicer Deluxe dash trim & padded dash ,
    dome light switches both doors,
    AM push button radio,
    chrome/or brushed alum. trim on top side of box.
    Cigar/ cigarette lighter
    2 speed wipers
    2 speed fan
    bright metal moulding on side door window frames
    sound deadener, full carpet

8. neil brown

Sounds like deluxe varied a lot, I’ve got no dome light switches or padded dash, tho the dash pad looks like an option, maybe all the other parts were as well..

9. 65restomod

The wiring may be there if you want to add door switches. Mac's sells the switches

10. colnago

Mine has the switches, but neither of them work. Maybe a spring-time project. Low priority on my list. I just hope that there is wiring up to the dome light itself. If I have to remove the headliner, it will never get done.

Joseph

11. 65restomod

Very easy to start there
    Switches just pop out, no need to remove the kick panels

12. colnago

Really? That easy? Maybe I'll ask Mama for new switches for my birthday (around Thanksgiving), and git 'er done over the post-Christmas holiday.

Joseph

13. 65restomod

14. neil brown

Yeh, made a mistake on that, I thought you were talking about some fancy chrome dome switch on the door card, then realised what you were actually talking about, and I have those. No Cigar lighter tho..
    Mine is a 66B according to the tag. Are different colour interiors common? Mine's gold with a maroon/red exterior.

Doh, just found the cigar lighter, :rolleyes:no idea how I missed that..

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  15. colnago

You should be able to get the original colors from one of the decoders on Google. Mine was originally Smoky Silver paint (color = K) with a black interior (trim = 66). The PO redid the interior in silver cloth with black trim. It doesn't look original, but it does look sharp. I do have a cigar lighter, but only single-speed wipers, and no back-up lights.

Joseph

16. neil brown

Thanks, looks like mine was Vintage Burgandy witha Palamino interior, which appears to be gold dash/door tops and tan upholstery.

Interestingly tho, on the decoder I looked at, which didnt list Rancheros for colours, Falcon is the closest, it also didn't show exterior two tone paint as an option for Falcons..
    http://www.tpocr.com/fordbp5.html

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  17. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

upload_2019-10-21_10-41-53.png

http://worldpopulationreview.com/states/states-with-internet-sales-tax/

18. colnago

&*^%$#@! Stupid internet sales tax!

Anyway, the book came the other day. Looks to be in great condition … then Mama whisked it away for the next gift-giving opportunity. Apparently, a package that arrives and says "ebay" on the outside is NOT a gift-giving opportunity.

Joseph

19. colnago

I used that site, too. Mine is a '64, and the 66B body code under Falcon listed it as a Ranchero Deluxe. For that year, the Ranchero was based off of the Falcon frame and body style. so it was still a "Falcon Ranchero." I don't remember what year they started diverging, but it was after ours.

Joseph

20. neil brown

The 65 is based on the Falcon as well, I’m not sure but 64’s and 65’s look very similar, maybe the same body with year changes like front fenders, dash...