Can't Shift

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by colnago, Nov 3, 2019.

1. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

I have a C4 auto trans. Drove it to the grocery store, then home. Got home, and now the lever won't pull back. I'm suspecting it will be in the steering column itself, since there's nothing at the tranny. Any pointers?

Joseph

2. colnago

A small follow-on. I took the top of the steering column apart as best I could. The tranny does shift, but the lever is stuck. So, I definitely have something in the column that is gumming up the works. With the wheel off, and the blinker and shift mechanisms pulled up, it still doesn't want to move.

Joseph

3. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Detent on the shift lever releasing so that you can move the shifter.

4. colnago

All I can do is shift from Drive to Neutral. I can't pull the lever back to clear the detent. I'm thinking that something broke and jammed itself in the mechanism to prevent the lever from pulling back. Unfortunately, the wiring harness is preventing me from pulling off the blinker collar, which is preventing me from pulling off the shifter collar.

Google is not my friend on this one.

Joseph

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  5. colnago

I made a small bit of progress. I found that there is a spring-actuated plunger behind the shift lever, and for some reason, it's not plunging in. Since it can't plunge, the lever can't move. I can only access the plunger by removing the shift lever, which means that I need to remove the retaining/rotating pin. And since I can't remove the shift housing, all of this has to be done in the cab. At least I have a soft seat!

Joseph

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

So remove the whole column.

7. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Andy - it's a 64. That would require removing the steering box also, they are 1 unit. No rag joint. Solid shaft. ya know? :rolleyes:
    Sorry, ya left that door wide open. :p

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Fook, yeah, I forgot. It's been a long time since I've touched a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury older than '75.

pmrphil likes this.
  9. colnago

I thought you had a '65 Ranchero. I guess I remember incorrectly.

Anyway, I figure that I'll spend some quality time with the old girl this weekend. I can buy a new shift lever (at $50-ish), and a new shift collar (at $50-ish), so I'll be sure to take it slowly. But it's nice to know that if I do bugger things up, at least I can find replacement parts. If all goes well, then she's back on the road on Monday ... then back to brakes, a rattle at the tranny, tuning up my new carb, ...

Joseph

10. colnago

No rag joint? No, I didn't know! I hadn't needed to work on that area (yet). I simply ass-u-me-ed that it had a rag joint. Remove the steering box, too? Eep!

The good news is that while my '64 is down, I get to drive my '67!

Joseph

11. colnago

I found the problem, although I had to tear apart everything on my steering column to get to it. Basically, the shift lever pushes on a plunger that pushes back with a big honkin' spring. Inside the big honkin' spring, there's a smaller spring that helps to keep the plunger in alignment. Unfortunately, the PO didn't have this inner spring, and couldn't afford the 60 cents for a new spring at the local hardware store, so he didn't put anything in. Over time, the big honkin' spring stopped keeping things aligned, so the plunger was no longer in alignment, and it all got out of whack.

The silver lining is that while everything is apart, I can do some work on the signal switch (I think it's the original, and the self-cancelling levers are pretty cracked), and maybe get some working horns.

Joseph

12. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Look above, I thought I mentioned that. But after all these years it's probably time to replace the turn signal switch as long as you have it apart.

13. colnago

I guess I don't understand that. There's no detent on the shift lever. The detent is mounted to the signal housing. The plunger and springs are located on the shift lever housing. It was the plunger that got jammed, and prevented me from shifting. It had nothing to do with the detent, unless we're talking about the same thing but using different words.

Joseph

14. 1965 Ranchero 66G