1978 Mad Max build: Beast of Burden

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by paul289, Jun 28, 2016.

1. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

Hey, I'm back! After getting frustrated with the Beast for a while and switching to the Mustang, getting that running again and then destroying the power steering system by autocrossing on a very poorly remanufactured steering rack, I decided it was time to get the Beast going again before the snow hit. It's gonna be close, as the snow is supposed to start falling next Saturday.

I took apart the transmission once again and looked for problems. I did find one major issue right off the bat, and that was that the reverse drum hadn't fully engaged the forward drum. In part, this was because I had reversed the pressure and apply plates. How did that happen? Well, the instructions in the Rebuilding AOD/AODE/4R70W book weren't clear. The other part was that I just hadn't wiggled them together enough. This had caused three of the reverse clutches to burn up, so I replaced those. Several of the forward clutches had also overheated, but I had some spares from the previous rebuild. Measurements for the intermediate clutches didn't check out, so I had to use the original intermediate clutches to get that within spec. But after that, all the other measurements checked out just fine.

At this point, there's not really much else I can do except put it back in the car and see if it works. So I'm hoping that I'll be installing it this week, and testing it on Saturday, maybe even in the snow. Cross your fingers!

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Ah, bummer, I'm moving to Texas this week! It's too bad we never got to meet! I'll keep my fingers crossed that the trans works. Remember, at idle in D, line pressure is to be 34 PSI, and 1 PSI more in N.

paul289 likes this.
  3. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

I think I saw your Ranchero around town before (I mean, how many blue late '70's Rancheros are there in Snohomish County?), so it's kinda like we met. But hey, at least you get to miss out on all the slushy snow we're gonna get next week. Best of luck in Texas!

4. handy_andy_cv64

If it had a white topper, that was me. And thank you, I'm really hoping this makes a bellwether change in my life.

paul289 likes this.
  5. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

Almost ready to fire up the Beast, just need to finish the torque converter bolts, hook up the exhaust, and add fluid. Then, I can tune, test, and then remember just how scary it is to drive with only half the bench seat track locking. Also, need to swap the axles out for big bearing versions instead of the small-bearing axles with conversion bearings, since the conversion bearing doesn't seal. Then I'll have to start planning how to patch the floorpan rust.

Oh yeah, gotta put in my new rear shocks, so it might handle...ok? Maybe?

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  6. Mick13

Mick13 In Second Gear

Nice and interesting work

7. handy_andy_cv64

Fire it up yet?

8. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

I did, but it was once again having trouble engaging Reverse, OD, and D. But interestingly, it drove fine in L. So it sounded to me like a pressure regulation issue. Pulled the valve body today and after pulling the boost valve and main pressure regulator spool valves, I found that the main pressure regulator spring was missing. There's an inner boost valve spring, but there should also be the outer pressure regulator spring as well. I've had this apart a couple times, so it's possible that I forgot to replace the spring when I first replaced the boost valve or when I took apart the whole valve body for cleaning. So, now to scour the garage for the spring, or find it somewhere else. [​IMG]

9. Mick13

Mick13 In Second Gear

I don't know why, but I can't see the pic. If a spring is missing, thats incredible me ! Check all you can, it doesn't sound good ;-(

10. handy_andy_cv64

When it comes to springs, a good-sized magnet on a stick helps increase your chances of finding it. Except if the spring is phosphor bronze....

11. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

Step 1 will be remembering where it was that I left the spring out of the valve body in the first place. I replaced the boost valve in my parents' shop, but thoroughly disassembled the valve body in my own garage. I'm gonna assume that it was in the shop, and there's one workbench I haven't checked yet.

IMG_20200118_175525.jpg

12. handy_andy_cv64

13. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

Can't find it for the life of me. But I did get in touch with Transgo and ask about what the effects of missing that spring would be, and wouldn't you know it, they're the same as what I'm experiencing. Now, it would seem that it wasn't a Transgo kit that I purchased, but a B&M kit, so I shot an email off to them to see if I can get a replacement spring.

What was the old adage? For want of a nail, the war was lost?

Pretty much what's going on here.

14. handy_andy_cv64

*shakes head mournfully*

15. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

GOOD NEWS! I just happened to find the spring! This whole transmission build has shown just how important it is to hold onto parts rather than just throwing everything away. Perhaps tomorrow I'll have the valvebody back in the Beast, and potentially, maybe Wednesday I'll have a running car!

16. handy_andy_cv64

Cross your fingers, toes and rub your junk for luck!

paul289 likes this.
  17. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

Found a couple other issues with the valvebody last night before I swapped it in. Had a checkball where it was later eliminated, and had a missing checkball where it should have been, and had a couple relief valves reversed. So, got that all back together in the correct order and installed the valvebody. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to fire it up, and I took the day off on Friday in part to do some test driving, and also poke around to find a battery drain.

18. handy_andy_cv64

Test the alternator's three circuits (B+, F and S) first, as they're the easiest to get to.

paul289 likes this.
  19. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

Battery was too dead to get it started last night. Gonna try again on Friday.

20. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

Got it started and filled with fluid, and drove it around a bit! The 1-2 shift is nice and aggressive (maybe too aggressive for snow tires), but that's the only shift that happens. Wondering if maybe the 2-3 shift valve is stuck or something?