Next guitar build

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by beerbelly, Mar 5, 2020.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The ZZ Top fuzzy spinners! There have been many versions of these guitars (6, I think); the majority seem to be based on a Dean Z or an Explorer with a Flying V headstock. I found a beat up Mahar Flying V on Offerup for $40 that has a perfectly shaped headstock and a single pickup. The plan is to slice, dice and add wood to convert it into that Z/Explorer shape, then paint the whole thing white and add sheepskin. IKEA has both real and fake sheepskins, so I have a source for that. And I have a hair clipper to give it a "haircut" around the strings & pickup.

I just need to figure out how to make it spin. I saw a guy on YouTube who used a weightlifter's belt and some kind of swivel. Maybe attach some kind of straplock/swivel on both? Still need to figure that out...

200.gif b604b3a557d740d5ad02fd463299675b.jpg IMG_3844.JPG

Jimbob likes this.
  2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

We just watched ZZ TOP: THAT LITTLE OL' BAND FROM TEXAS on Netflix. It was really good. The wife wasn't a big fan, but appreciated how hard they worked, and enjoyed the backstory on how they got famous. 5 - Stars. Highly recommend.

Jimbob and HuevosRanchero like this.
  3. TestDummy

4. beerbelly

We just watched that last night too, and it gave me the inspiration to build one of these iconic guitars. I've seen them 3 times, twice in Texas (read: PARTY), and my iPod is full of their tunes. They're still out there touring, this year with Def Leppard.

5. beerbelly

I guess I don't see what keeps the stud in the bearing? I'm wondering if one of these strap locks might work? Push button positive lock.

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 2.19.22 PM.png

6. TestDummy

I guarantee you that you can find what you want in the McMaster Carr catalog.

7. TestDummy

I thought it was hilarious that when they were starting out they did two Jimmy Hendrix cover songs while warming up for Jimmy Hendrix.

I've seen them 3 times as well. Once before Eliminator, and twice after. Great show! They are natural entertainers with a ton of talent.

8. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

been using these for many years and never had a failure on any of my guitars.....not sure they are heavy duty enough for what you want to use them for......

9. HuevosRanchero

10. beerbelly

You know, that hardware is interesting; maybe a guy whose brother-in-law has a milling machine might be able to copy that. Then I'd forget about the suction cups and just screw that to the back of the guitar. The strap and the way it works looks sketchy to me though. I wonder if the receiver part could be modded to fit on a big 'ol cowboy belt buckle??

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  11. HuevosRanchero

maybe add suspenders on the pants to prevent something...."unfortunate"

12. beerbelly

What about this idea?

IMG_3845.JPG Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 11.38.45 AM.png

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  13. TestDummy

I can see it falling off mid spin.

14. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Not a bad idea , I would maybe fabricate a small locking bar that isolates the slot from the key hole.

15. beerbelly

Great idea, just in case gravity stops working. I put together a prototype out of styrene today, and it seems to work well:

side.JPG open.JPG closed.JPG

16. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

17. beerbelly

That would be great Huevos, thanks!

18. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

PM me your address, I will send you a set.
    These fasteners are best used for the guitar straps, I dont think it will work for spinning the guitar..

19. beerbelly

Here's the video I found showing a similar project. You can clearly see the guitar is mounted to a weightlifting belt; I just need to figure out how. Someone suggested using a small lazy susan bearing, but I think the belt would have to be permanently attached to the guitar, and I'm not sure I want to do that. Maybe the guitar attachment side could use a couple of the Tenax (LOXX) parts Huevos mentioned?

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 8.34.28 AM.png

Attached Files:

20. beerbelly

So I gave it some thought, and came up with this idea- belts clips attached to a lazy susan bearing. The unit would be attached to the guitar, and would just clip onto the top edge of the weightlifter belt. Here's an image I pasted together; what do you guys think? lazy susan & belt clips.JPG

HuevosRanchero and TestDummy like this.