Perplexed on V8 upgrade

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Gary Clark, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Gary Clark

Gary Clark In Second Gear

Put a 302 into my 64 the other day, but am lost right now. I put the V8 springs in, and with the engine installed it sits way too high. I can lean on the fender and put my 200 lbs on it and it really doesn't budge. The coils were the same length, just a bit beefier. I can't even get the steering in as there isn't enough room between the spindles to get the tie rods connected. Very aggravating.

Attached Files:

2. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Yeah, looks way too high. Can you put the old ones back in?

3. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

Something isn't right esp. if you can't get the tie rods connected. Did you change anything else??? Are the springs clocked correctly on the spring perches?

Gary Clark likes this.
  4. Gary Clark

Springs are seated in the proper location, tossed the old springs. Major bitch changing them. All new ball joints. Almost seems like the ball joints are frozen or something. Thinking about changing or disconnecting the sway bar, or the two large rods that connect to the frame by the radiator. not sure what they are called torsion bar maybe.

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You will have a normal compression period with new springs, but even then, they will compress with weight on. Are the lower control arm bushings new? Did you take the arm off to install the spring, or did you use a spring compressor?

Gary Clark likes this.
  6. RancheroRandy

New ball joints? Did you remove the old ones by drilling out the rivets and replacing them with removeable ones? Just curious because most replacement control arms (unless you buy higher end ones) do not have bolt-in ball joints....they better be stiff since they support the weight of the front end...hope you greased them!? I would suggest getting one of these spring compressors for ease of changing things and for safety. Spring Depressor.jpg Believe me, they are worth the cost! Yes, disconnect the sway bar...it should be the last thing you connect otherwise you'll be fighting it....been there, done that! :oops:

Gary Clark likes this.
  7. Gary Clark

New lower control arms, and I did use a spring compressor from Autozone. Will loosen control arm bolts today, maybe they are pinching the arm in place, and also remove sway bar bolts after that.

8. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Did you change spindles?

beerbelly likes this.
  9. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

LSChero has a great question, especially since you mentioned that there isn't enough space between the tie rods. If your car started life as a 6 cylinder, you'll need to upgrade to V8 spindles, tie rod ends, idler arm & center link.

10. Gary Clark

Yes, changed spindles and all steering components over to V8 stuff.

11. beerbelly

RancheroRandy likes this.
  12. RancheroRandy

Yes, it does make me wonder if '64 and '65 steering components are mixed-in...?

13. beerbelly

If so, I would suspect the center link is the issue. It HAS to be a '65 Falcon V8 manual steering link with '65 tie rods ends.

Gary Clark likes this.
  14. Gary Clark

15. beerbelly

16. T16592

T16592 In Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

These are from an original 1965 ford Shop Manual.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Gary Clark

I couldn't find or remember where I got the centerlink from, but it was listed as one for a '65 Falcon. I bought it last fall, and have splept since then. The spindles are C3DA-3107/8. The outer ball joints are not the same part number as the ones listed in the Falcon parts list. but they are pretty much the same except I needed a larger tapered shaft for spindles.

Thanks for the pics of the entire system, and thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I am going to use my spring compressor today to see it it will move anything. I need to get this problem solved before hooking up the steering linkage anyway.

If I end up needing to, I can have the tie rods cut a bit and get shorter tie rod sleeves.

18. beerbelly

Here's a helpful video about Falcon/Mustang/Comet spindles:

19. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I believe there is a difference between manual and power steering for tie rods and center link.

20. Gary Clark

Here are pics of how the linkage looks. Both tie rods are all the way in. The cnter link has a span of 18 1/4" from the centers of the holes. I can't find any centerlink specs to see if there is a differnece in the spacing of the holes. I e-mailed Drake automotive too find out the differences between the C5ZZ-3304-EI & CI.

IMG_7545.JPG IMG_7546.JPG IMG_7555.JPG