Painting suspension parts

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by RickMc, Jun 30, 2020.

1. RickMc

RickMc In Third Gear

Question for those who have painted their suspension parts, whats worked best? Powder coating is not a option. All parts will be blasted, should I use a encapsulation primer? Does it work or is it hype? Also unable to spray so will have to be rattle can or brush or combination of both. Thanks for the info.

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Not cheap but produces a quality finish. Clean and dry first. Then a good even coating of VHT Self Etch Primer ( Sp307 ). Let the primer dry for at least one hour. Haven't needed to sand any parts yet using this primer. Follow up with multiple light coats of VHT Roll Bar and Chassis satin black paint ( SP671 ).
    Let the black dry a few hours before handling. It passes muster on concours restorations and is very durable on street driven vehicles. Try it, you will fall in love with this finish.

3. RickMc

RickMc In Third Gear

Sold! Thanks for the tips.

4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Like Hillbilly, I used Chassis Black, but from Eastwood. I went the extra mile. After painting a few coats, I put them in our environmental chamber at my old job for a couple hours, set to 220°. They are almost powder coat durable.

Attached Files:

5. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Just for giggles, I tried the VHT combo on a tractor steering wheel. 1962 International Harvester that sit's out in the weather a lot. Wheel was intact without cracks but it always left your hands black from the plastic chalking. Did not sand it, only washed it good with Purple Stuff cleaner then did the primer and paint. Done over a year ago and it still looks like a new steering wheel. Just saying, it has that satin finish like a Ford steering wheel from that era.

6. RickMc

RickMc In Third Gear

I'm relying on the sun for that baked on finish. Underside looks good though, what year?

TestDummy likes this.
  7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

8. RickMc

RickMc In Third Gear

78 I've owned since 1980, next year will be buying a 70-71, good looking year. My biggest trying to figure out now is engine for the 78. Has a 351m low mileage, but not run in many years, but did fire up. Not looking for a powerhouse but something better than 165hp.

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

A mild cam (even roller, if they still exist), a 4-barrel with a nice dual-plane intake should give a lift to the performance numbers.