My name is Earl

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by pdw72, Jun 28, 2020.

1. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

Years ago I recall a movie before My Name is Earl that the character Jason Lee played drove a 74-76 red Ranchero. Does anyone recall the name of it, I thought we discussed it here?

2. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Definitely a '73.

4. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

There was a movie called, i think 'Tammy'? that had a red 74-76 in it at some point

5. Jimbob

6. handy_andy_cv64

White Line Fever also had a '74-'76, greyish-blue? The scene where Jan-Michael Vincent's truck and load had been sabotaged, and the three dudes came out to kick the crap outta him.

7. Boiler92

Wish someone would make another blockbuster movie or popular TV series featuring a 69 so mine would be worth more than a cup of coffee.

Even 80's GMC van's with a 2 tone black and gray paint job and red stripe are worth more. I think it's probably neck and neck in value with white #53 bugs.

8. handy_andy_cv64

Ain't got nothing against Bugs, white and sporting #53 or not.

Boiler92 likes this.
  9. Jimbob

Problem with that though, is they will smash up a dozen of them in pointless stunts, cut up another couple to make filming rigs. Then the market will be full of 'clones' with ridiculous price tags for the next few years. Just look at the Starsky and Hutch movie, got sick of seeing all the 'striped tomatoes' suddenly appearing at car shows.

65restomod and Boiler92 like this.
  10. Boiler92

Sad but true. I'm just a little bummed that I'm almost certainly going to be upside down on my refurbishment even though I started with a pretty solid ride at a decent price and am doing as much as I can myself. I just have to look at it as the cost of entertainment I guess.

11. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If anyone watched that series about the Black Dahlia that aired last year, it was chock full of Rancheros for some reason.

12. Jimbob

Thats just par for the course when doing up old cars, its almost always cheaper to just buy one already restored. By doing it yourself though, you get to build the ride you want and have fun doing it.

13. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

If you aren't underwater when building your ride, you are not doing much to enhance it's value. Problem is we over build instead of just fixing basics. What we value in a ride is often invisible to perspective buyers. Joe Blow can't see the work and agonizing that goes into a quality build. Build what you want and can afford, build it to satisfy yourself and be content that you did a good job. Have seen some nice Bugs but comparing a Ranchero to a Bug is borderline heresy.

Jimbob, The Wrench and beerbelly like this.
  14. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Fourth Gear

Totally agree Hillbilly. I get my value from keeping and using it as much as possible. Denis.

Jimbob, Hillbilly and beerbelly like this.
  15. handy_andy_cv64

Seconded. I have no illusions about Babe, it's the first car I've ever owned that I thought I would keep for a loooong time, but I would like to bring her looks and her drivetrain up to a better level.

Jimbob likes this.