Hello From South Carolina!

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by SouthCarolinaRanchero, Jul 26, 2020.

1. SouthCarolinaRanchero

SouthCarolinaRanchero In Third Gear

Hi all.....or maybe I should say "Y'all" :D

Moved to South Carolina last year.

Just bought a "Back in Black" 76 Ranchero GT with the 400M C4. from a guy in North Carolina.
    Paint is DEEP Black and looks great! 3 or 4 layers of gloss black and 3 layers of clear according to the guy I bought it from.
    Needs some rear end work as I started to hear noise on the 80 mile or so drive home, was fine during the test drive.
    400M seems to run fine so far....not sure yet if she's using any oil but no blue smoke.

Tranny doesn't slip but has no downshift at any speed so I'm hoping it's just an adjustment?
    Interior is about 90%, black also and seats and headliner and door panels are in good shape or new but most gauges don't work, have a molded plastic dash cover on order.
    Has new JEGS wheels and COOPER tires.

Front end isn't real sloppy but can use some work I can tell, does have new shocks in front.
    I'll try to post some pics....let me know what ya think!!

All i could get to post pics is of the wheel....says "File is too Large" for other pics 20200721_152912.jpg ??

Thanks!
    Jerry

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Pics are 1 MB max size, so resizing is in order.

Make sure you look at the steering coupling at the input shaft. The originals used cast urethane, and it would eventually disintegrate. Is the steering like it goes off, and you have to almost oversteer just to get it going straight again?

As for the trans, make sure it has the kickdown rod, and it's hooked up at both ends. If it's set that way, then yeah, it may need an adjustment.

3. SouthCarolinaRanchero

How do u resize pics??

Thanks for the tip on the steering coupling.
    The guy I bought it from said it had a new "Steering Box" would that have included the coupling at the input shaft?

4. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Welc0me to the mayhem!!! LOL

You will find plenty of information here.

Almost any picture program will allow you to slim them pics down... I usually use Publisher.

5. SouthCarolinaRanchero

Ok...Thanks!

6. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

I think I remember seeing your car for sale in the Charlotte CL? I bought my AOD (that I thought was a great deal but now not so much) from a guy at Tega Cay not too far from you....

7. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Welcome to the site!great bunch of folks here ready to keep ya rolling!helped me for sure,I use the image size app,easy to use and free

8. handy_andy_cv64

The coupling's between the box and steering column, so no, it wouldn't be part of it.

9. SouthCarolinaRanchero

I saw it on Facebook Marketplace......guy lived in Statesville NC.

10. SouthCarolinaRanchero

Ok Thanks.....steering doesn't feel that bad...just slightly loose so I think it's ok.

11. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

I have a 400M with C6 in my ‘74 500 with about 110,000 miles that I purchased in dry Idaho in 2008. Low compression from the factory and choked with pollution controls. I removed the emissions controls and replaced the stock cam, intake and 2V carb with a cam with a bit more aggressive profile (“RV cam”), an Edelbrock Performer aluminum intake and Holley 4V carb. I also installed Hooker Super Comp long-tube headers. It’s DEFINITELY not a drag car but the increase in straight-line acceleration is VERY satisfying!

12. handy_andy_cv64

Jeff B., do you know what gears are in your rear axle?

13. Jeff B.

I want to say 3.73’s (is that a Ford gear?) but will have to verify. I won’t be back home until the 7th. It pushes 3,000 RPM at 70 MPH.

14. handy_andy_cv64

With any gearing over 3.00 ratio, you should be able to smoke a tire, if your axle is an open diff, or both rears with an LS diff.

15. SouthCarolinaRanchero

I doubt it has a 3.73 if it's stock.

16. handy_andy_cv64

Then it sounds like his has the 2.74 ratio. If the engine makes power, but the tire doesn't spin on a blip of the throttle, then that's likely.

17. Jeff B.

It takes more than a blip to break a tire loose, open diff. I know the gearing in my other vehicles but am having a brain fart on this one for some reason. I thought it was numerically higher than a 2 but wouldn’t bet anything on it.

18. handy_andy_cv64

Well, it had me wondering. And my use of the word 'blip' was in error; what I should've said was "Foot-Stompin' Music."

My apologies.;)

Jeff B. likes this.
  19. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

3.50 was pretty common back in the day... particularly with open dif's. :( Like mine. But I don't have a problem torching a tire... sometimes I can even get both going. How I don't know, but it happens.

20. Mycuzinvinny

Mycuzinvinny In First Gear SILVER MEMBER

Now that's Funky!