'Chero Projects

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by HuevosRanchero, Oct 23, 2020.

1. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

who's doing what this weekend? anything interesting? Appears I have an oring seal leak on my distributer Im going to try and take care of and possibly pull my "new" drivers door panel off after getting it squared away because something on my door lock knob mechanism has come loose after 45 years of faithful service and so I've gotta fix it.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I still have to deal with the radio debacle, but my friend Steven scored a high-end Clarion from 1982 (bugger was nearly $300 back then!), so I want to test-fit it with the radio mounting frame, see if it'll stick out farther than the Sparkomatic deck.

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  3. RickMc

RickMc In Third Gear

Sending brake booster back, they sent the wrong one. Search continues! Start painting front end components and prepare for bushing install and reassembly, hopefully get her back on wheels in a couple weeks. Snow on the ground, nothing to do but garage work now.

4. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

5. RickMc

RickMc In Third Gear

I'm looking into to that option, thanks for the link. May still try and find another ,as hard as they are to find, might be a good idea to have one on the shelf. Thanks again for the link.

6. handy_andy_cv64

Oh, and I still have to diagnose/repair the blower motor circuit. I also may have mentioned earlier this year that I accidentally left the blower motor I bought from Andrewok1 back in my old apartment, so I need to get another. I'm contemplating seeing if I can get a newer blower motor to fit, but that requires me to remove the blower case. I'll keep you informed and have pics to post then.

7. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Catch me up on this subject, cuz i'm dealing with the same.

8. handy_andy_cv64

9. HuevosRanchero

well best laid plans....grah... Pulled the disty...easy as you please ...way too easy. I should have known. Looked down and could see the oil pump shaft
    and sure enough the disty oring was harder than a prison guards billy club. Changed out...stabbed the disty....cranked right up after reassembly but without oil pressure....guess what had pulled out enough to
    drop NEXT to the pump orifice.......? so an hour job turned into all day...pulling the motor mount bolts jacking up the engine..pulling starter and dropping the pan enough to work the shaft back in. then restab the disty. Gonna put a few quarts in and do an engine turn to see if I build pressure before starting.....%$#$%#$%#$%#$

10. handy_andy_cv64

When the shaft stayed in, you should've used a magnet to fetch it out, then put a blob of grease on it to put it in the end of the dizzy shaft before restabbing it. I've had that very thing, along with the darned shaft falling out and landing inside the pan (I'll get to dealing with that in a sec) happen many times. Technically, the shaft's supposed to have a lock ring that prevents it from moving up when you pull the dizzy (it's trapped between the block and pump). Anyway, if you drop the pump shaft into the crankcase, a magnet small enough to fit through the drain hole, taped to a stiff wire, can help you fish it out, then, as I said before, a glob of grease to hold it in the dizzy shaft end, and there ya go!

11. HuevosRanchero

yeah I have a goose neck magnet with a light built into the end of it that has been great for a lot of things....but unfortunately I couldn't get it to work with the pump rod. It had propped itself quite well right next to the pump orifice, had to grab and push up then over, never actually fell into the pan. Couldn't see it after the 2nd shift so as you can imagine I was slightly irritated! hah...
    My dad always said there should be a retaining ring near the top to keep this from happening...if its on there its too low.

12. handy_andy_cv64

The original ring is placed so it doesn't fall through the block during original assembly. I thought Ford should've spent the pennies for a retaining clip on the pump drive (the drive dog would have to protrude from the pump case to have it work) or at least extend the case an eighth of an inch to help it catch the end so it couldn't slip out. Anyway, is it back together so you can crank the engine, see if you have pressure?

13. HuevosRanchero

back on 12 hour days during the week (for which they gouge me knowing that I don't want to risk losing my phone job and going back into the field every day) so Im back to only getting things done on the weekend ( when my band only has one gig preferably on Sat nights)....will be dumping a few quarts in and doing a non start test Sat morning....fingers crossed but i think my only real worry is a pan gasket leak if didnt seat it properly.

14. handy_andy_cv64

I'll cross my fingers and rub my nuts for luck.

15. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

With any luck when the wife goes to work on Sunday I will be cutting rings to fit my freshly machined block and possibly get my pistons poked into the holes.

Cheers,

Doc

16. HuevosRanchero

Good to go....the Rock is back on the road, ...pressure looks good went for a decent drive...gotta recheck the disty area with hopes of no oil in the depression

beerbelly likes this.
  17. handy_andy_cv64

Ensure the area across the block where the intake meets it is clean, as oil can also leak from there, and that your PC is not carboned up.

18. HuevosRanchero

yeah I initially was worried it was from the intake. Gonna take another look in day light soon.......feeling pretty confident after seeing what was left of the disty oring....pretty pathetic.

19. handy_andy_cv64

Typically, unless the PCV is totally plugged, the intake is more likely than the dizzy o-ring to leak, so make sure the PCB and the vacuum nipple are clear.

20. HuevosRanchero

new PCV and hose, re ran so the there wasn't such a severe bend on either end.