No start

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by beerbelly, Sep 29, 2021.

1. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

No issues what-so-ever other than my suckee battery that's gonna get replaced soon. I have NO hesitation in buying their products and it still is true: "you get what you pay for"...finally got the info on mine: Powermaster XS Torque 9503

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    beerbelly likes this.
  2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Good to know; thanks Randy.

3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Also never had any issues with Powermaster stuff, it is my go-to company when customers need starters.
    Is yours 157T or 164T? That tech bulletin is awesome, great info.

4. beerbelly

Thanks Phil. Mine's a 157 tooth, with the smaller 4.08" block plate opening and 3/4" depth to the flywheel.

5. beerbelly

What the hell is that chunk of crap in the teeth? Metal?

Looks like the piece of metal is part of a missing C clip:

C clip.jpg 20211003_091120.jpg

The Wrench likes this.
  6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That shouldn't keep it from energizing unless it shorted the stator windings. It keeps the bearing in the nose cone. I once had a Chevy wagon that the nose cone broke off, so the rotor would throw itself out of alignment when engaged.

7. pmrphil

Holy crap, BB. At least now you know why.
    Andy, it wasn't that it wouldn't energize, the issue was that the starter pinion was wedged in place by the retaining ring that used to be on the starter drive, which is why it wouldn't turn over. Didja happen to read the part where he had to beat the starter out of place? :oops: Starter was engaged/stuck in flywheel teeth.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  8. handy_andy_cv64

Oh, no, as always, I missed that.:oops:

9. pmrphil

Aw, that's why we like ya, big boy :D

handy_andy_cv64 likes this.
  10. The Wrench

The Wrench In Second Gear

Mr BeerBelly Sir, I am sure you are very happy with what you have found. I think you will be happy with your new Starter choice also. I am very glad too, so go drink a few Beer's and relax. The Wrench

handy_andy_cv64 and beerbelly like this.
  11. beerbelly

It occurs to me how lucky it was to have happened in my garage and not out on the road somewhere. More than once fate has fallen in my favor with this car; that's why it has this name:

Lucky decal.jpeg

12. The Wrench

Good thing you weren't robbing a bank at the time. LOL We would have been bailing you out.

13. handy_andy_cv64

No, no bailing out. It dips into the beer funds.

The Wrench likes this.
  14. beerbelly

I know this is a lot of chatter over a starter, but this looks to be a pretty cool upgrade, and my first PMGR starter. When the driver handed it to me, I figured it was too light to be a starter, but it was- 7.5 lbs vs. 22 lbs for the old one. I'll install it tomorrow, but I have to hit the hardware store for some #12 wire and some connectors for the lead down to the solenoid:

20211006_145956.jpg 20211006_150210.jpg

Here's the wiring diagram if anyone needs it:
    https://www.powermastermotorsports.com/027___IS_PMGR.pdf

15. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Don't laugh, I just put one of those on a John Deere and it is amazing. Always had to crank a few seconds before the diesel fired, now I can't let go of the key fast enough. I like it !

beerbelly likes this.
  16. The Wrench

Mr BeerBelly Sir, Technology has come along way since 1965 . LOL That PMGR starter probably has enough Torque to throw that 289 right out of the engine bay. You're going to love it. The Wrench

17. handy_andy_cv64

It'd be perfect for those diesels you have to open the cylinders and crank up to speed before closing them to fire it.

18. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

I agree Andy. Thankfully I don't have one of those big diesels that require a compression release to get spun up. My adventure is on a small nursery stock size two cylinder 650 John Deere. It is a rebodied ( trim and sheetmetal ) Yanmar tractor built in Japan. Original starter required using the glow plugs then an annoying amount of cranking before lighting off the engine. That new starter spins it so fast it fires off cold instantly without pre-heating. So fast that I only have to blip the key and it's running. Absolutely amazing to me ! At a little over $300 I think it is well worth the money. One side note I found by my own mistake is that PMGR starters can not take prolonged cranking. Do not grind and grind those starters. Easy to over heat them. If your engine refuses to start quickly, fix the problem first before you cook your starter.

19. beerbelly

Well, everything went together fine; new starter, new solenoid, new ignition switch and.........no start. Battery checked good, so I I got out my test light and found no voltage to the solenoid from the positive side of the battery. Put my ohm meter across it, and got an open line reading. What's more, if I wiggled the cable end, I would get intermittent continuity. Got a new cable and it started right up! Woo Hoo! But damn I hate electrical gremlins! It's like witchcraft wrapped in vinyl.

And Hillbilly, like you said, I can't get my fingers off the key fast enough!

20211007_142244.jpg