Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PonyExpressRider, Oct 7, 2021.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That's a point a day! Tell him, "Nice."

As Is '66 likes this.
  2. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Nicely done!

We have been seeing less deer around here also. But we have a resurgence of predators, Cougar, Bear, and now Wolves.

Someday, when revenues begin to drop, they will allow dogs to hunt the predators again. Then we will get our deer back.

As Is '66 likes this.
  3. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Heh ... we have fewer deer than we used to see -- but cougars are everywhere. Darwin will even the ratio in future years.

As Is '66 likes this.
  4. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

Happy Hunting >>>

Happier Harvesting ! ! !

We`ve been planting for wildlife for several years now, and it has begun to Pay Off ! ! !
    NOW though, we`re planting for Quality Deer Management...
    There`s just too many deformed racks in these parts...
    Some uneducated hunters are putting "Rapid Rack Grow" chemicals/compounds out for the deer...
    I feel that it is ruining them...

So far this season the tally is 1 coyote 9 whitetails from our 85 acres, for the 4 of us who hunt it...
    (I gotta Bobcat last day of last season too)
    Unlike years before this season I watched deer as I waited for our son John to take the first, it was a nice size doe, a week later (BIL) Larry got another doe...
    I don`t hunt deer like they do, they head to their stand in the woods > I head to my "Hunting Lodge" (as @andrewok1 & @Hillbilly call it)
    I built a 4`X 5` plywood "Lodge" which is 152 paces from my easychair, so I merely "Shoot Deer" from it...

My first was one of the fawns I had beena watching grow up this year...
    I had been videoing 12+ play and frolic, since July whilst waiting for destructive hogs to show themselves...
    I processed that one into "Big Meat" for the freezer, Ann had requested that we get "packaged meat" this year so the others 5 I shot got processed @ $80 each...
    Three more does and then I filled BOTH Buck Tags in an hour with a "Cull Deer" which had 4 points deformed on one side and the other broke off at the base, That was @5 pm...
    Since the processor didn`t open til 6 I got that one loaded...
    Shortly after I went back to the "Lodge" a NICE 8 point came sniffing the ground toward me, when he turned I got him, that was @ 6 O`clock...

Gotta call about 1/2 hour after dark one day last week to "Come help Larry load his 8 point"

I got disappointed Monday when I picked up my two bucks, as I found out that I hadn`t told the "Right Person" to save the head...

Over this Thanksgiving week, I picked up my two hides from last year I had professionally tanned ...
    (When I left them, they said it`d be a year)

I dunno how I`ve missed this thread until now ? ? ?
    We still have another few weeks for Deer season...

Our Freezer`s are stocked,
    Dennis

Merry Christmas Y`all

5. handy_andy_cv64

Dennis, are you in Texas? You mentioned 'destructive hogs.'

6. As Is '66

No @handy_andy_cv64 I be in Southwest GA...
    Them #$@*^$&* Pigs is EVERYWHERE nowaday...
    We trap & shoot `em all year and there are still too many...
    Amoungst the neighbors we`ve trapped over 100 this year alone...
    I`ve seen planted fields destroyed, the farmers are taking a lick...

We have pork,
    Dennis

Merry Christmas

7. handy_andy_cv64

They're over here in Texas, also, with the same destructive tendencies. Joe and I have been angling for permissions on various properties to hunt some down, but no luck so far. And one place we'd been hoping for, it turns out the deer hunting lease was still in force, so there's that to contend with.

8. As Is '66

Our farmers are HAPPY to let us go into their fields to shoot HOGS...
    You might try the local farmers in your area for permission @handy_andy_cv64 ...

One farming family man told me a 22 is what he shoots with, he carries it on the tractor with him...
    When he sees hogs, he`ll leave the tractor running, climb down, look down the row and shoot...
    It being a 22 it don`t scare the others off, so he`ll get quite a few thattaway...

Farmers PAY for hog hunting companies to hunt, You MIGHT get a "Bounty" for yours ;)
    High TECH Too! > Night vision, heat image and other technology is used...

Merry Christmas,
    Ann & Dennis

Oh AND there`s NO CLOSED SEASON on hogs here

Hillbilly likes this.
  9. handy_andy_cv64

Same here. With the inflation on food, we wanna take a few down, dress them ourselves, toss them in the deep freeze for a month, then start working on slow smoking, grinding and the like.

10. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Here's a pic of a 10 point my cousins wife just bagged in Fla. I'd say she whacked a good one.
    Andy figure out a place to get them hogs. The wild pig is much tastier than domestic store bought stuff. Talk to enough people your bound to get in somewhere !

Attached Files:

11. handy_andy_cv64

We have our 'in,' but because other hunters have a hunting 'contract' on the land, we can't just go in. I'd like to be able to get a hold of the hunters who have the contract, see if an accomodation could be reached.

12. handy_andy_cv64

Soooo...everybody have dry digs to camp in?

PSX_20220103_222648.jpg

As Is '66 and Buds 67 like this.
  13. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Hope it's got more than a 144 !

14. handy_andy_cv64

It'll handle it...just not at anything approaching Interstate speeds....

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  15. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Heading out Saturday to central Utah for a late season cow elk hunt.My oldest boy is going to guide for my old azz.Should be interesting..Anyone do any good
    this year?
    SAM_5131.JPG

handy_andy_cv64 likes this.
  16. As Is '66

No Elk, http://www.ranchero.us/forum/index.php?members/lschero.227/ but between John & myself, we`ve put 6 Whitetails and a hog in the freezer from the woods...
    I have a raised hog at the butcher now too, she got outta her the Last time :(

Good Luck on this journey,
    Dennis

handy_andy_cv64 likes this.
  17. handy_andy_cv64

Looks like hunting season's in full swing in PA today...along I-81....
    Many pickups parked way off the right-of-way, and I spotted a couple in garb getting ready to head out.

As Is '66 likes this.
  18. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

This year my hunting partner and I headed out to Eastern Oregon to try our hand at getting a couple Mulies.

1 day of scouting and 10 days of hunting...

149 Does
    3 confirmed Bucks
    2 Antelope Bucks
    2 Wolves
    2 Coyotes

On Sunday evening of the 8th day, we left camp about 3PM, and by 5:30 had seen close to 40 does. Almost every corner more does. Come around another corner, more does. Put each head into the binoc's, nothing to look at but ears. As they move off towards the Brush and I am moving up the road. Yeah, we had pretty much given up on trumping the brush by this point. Another head popped into the group. And it had antlers. A respectable Forkie, and with only three days left, he has moved into the shooter category. The road went around to the other side, so we went around. Parked and started glassing the brush, and openings. There were the Does, but no sign of the Buck. Then to my left, my buddies 30-06 spoke. There's the Buck running on three legs headed into a line of trees. We grab our lights, it's starting to get dark, and head on down the slope to get on the blood trail before its totally dark. I go to the last place I saw him and am on the trail almost immediately. I asked Chuck where he thinks he hit the deer. He says low just behind the right front leg. I then asked at what angle, I have stomach content in the blood trail? He wasn't exactly sure. It's been 20-25 minutes and feeling confident that he has expired. Glassing ahead through the brush to see if I can see where he went down. I kicked him up, in a small opening, and into the brush line back towards the first place we saw the herd. Cussing under my breath for not seeing him, I go to where he was. By the pool of blood, was surprised he was still able to get up. Chuck finally catches up to me, and we gave him another 20 minutes and broke out the lights. Love blood trails in the dark... NOT! Tracked him for another 50 yards, back to the field where we first saw them. Crossed a small creek, and the trail just stopped. Began an expanding circle search down slope looking for any trace of the trail. After a couple hours, I suggested we back out and come back in the AM. After another hour, Chuck agreed.
    We were back on the scene at daybreak, about three hours later we are standing at the last traces of blood that we had, wondering where the hell this deer had gone. We have literally covered several hundred yards down slope from the last spots of blood with no trace. So here we are scratching our heads looking at these last two drops of the blood trail. Finally, Chuck says what if he didn't go down slope? We had considered that the night before, but only searched about 50 yards up slope. I backed up the blood trail a bit and told Chuck that if he went in a straight line, with the blood trail, he went between a couple of bushes about 100 yards slightly up slope (sidehill). Chuck replied that we looked there last night. My reply was, did we go far enough? I walked over through the two bushes and looked downhill from there and about 20 yards away under an old snag laid his buck. Unfortunately, it was missing his hind quarters. The Coyotes, or Wolves, had enjoyed a nice buffet of venison steak. Fortunately, they only ate the hind quarters. The backstrap was intact, and everything forward of the ribcage.
    We salvaged what was left, disappointed that we lost some meat. Satisfied that we found it. We learned a lot about Mulies on this trip. We normally hunt Blacktail in Western Oregon, they have always gone downhill when hit. Even Rosevelt Elk will go downhill. But this Mulie went sidehill and up.

Know you know the story of assless Abe.

Later that afternoon, I missed a shot at about 100 - 125 yards away. Was not happy, since I could cover three rounds with my pinky when I sited the rifle in, at 100 yards. Can only figure that I threw the scope off with it in the gun rack on the quad. UHG!!!

Lessons learned!

As Is '66 likes this.
  19. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

20. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

Just got done first week rifle season hunting in Pa. Starts Saturday after Thanksgiving. Camp didn't do as well as usual only 6 deer 2 were buck.
    I whacked 2 big old doe, one committed suicide came out from a blow down and came straight at me about 20-25 yards 30-06 spoke and she dropped in tracks. So freezer will be much fuller.

nobody saw many deer. One guy had his grandson and got a decent 6 point. Then was sending pictures to friends and family and missed his chance at 3 other bucks that walked through area.