Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by saxegotha, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Yeah Sean, I would own an electric. Maybe someday when the math actually adds up equal to owning a petrol burner.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

A coworker bought a Mach-e last year. He drives 140 miles a day, round trip, putting 30,000 miles a year on a vehicle. He plugs it in each night, and so far is waaaaay ahead on the math.

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Has he come close to battery exhaustion at any time? Unlike an ICE drivetrain, where you can run out of gas, an EV's computer is supposed to prevent a full drain of the battery pack, known by some techs, like myself, as battery exhaustion.

4. TestDummy

Nope. He also hasn't run out of gas in a couple decades because he watches the gauge, like I do.

ForistellFord likes this.
  5. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Fourth Gear

I would definitely consider a hybrid of some sort , maybe a full electric a couple of years down the track . A guy who surfs where I do drives a Tesla 3 , his longboard sticks a fair way out the back of it , dunno if he could fit a roof rack to it but he hasn’t. We still need to improve our fast charge network here in NZ . They’re getting there but very few motels have them so if I was to drive from here to Auckland ( where my son and family live , approx 500 km ) there are not too many pure electrics that would get me there. Sure I could stop for a 1/2 hour or so top up somewhere but when I got there , no fast charger at my son’s place so an overnight charge then find a fast charger somewhere near and kill an hour or probably more so I could drive around . Then get back home ! Add to that the fact that the cheapest pure ev available here that I would consider is around $50k I think I’ll be keeping my CX3 for a while yet.
    Denis.

6. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yes Denis, I agree with your situation about traveling in pure electrics. The advantage of gasoline powered vehicles is knowing there's a fuel station "just around the corner". I couldn't imagine trying to plan a cross country trip in an electric. The last big road trip I took in the Ranchero was 4800 miles through 9 states, comfortably knowing fuel wouldn't be an issue. I don't think I could say the same for that trip in an electric.

7. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Bought my wife, her choice a 2022 Toyota highlander blue badge, my request was gas and electric. My choice, no but she is happy. I still can't let go of the dinosaurs.

8. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Me too Hillbilly but I'll wait till the battery pack is a wee bit cheaper :D

Mach E Battery pack $18,514.13 for the standard-range pack or $23,648.94 for the extended-range pack. :eek:

Hillbilly likes this.
  9. Hillbilly

Ok Sean, have your crew run a Mercedes AMG EQS thru the paces yet ? If so, how did it score ?

10. handy_andy_cv64

Now imagine you have a, for a comparable vehicle, a Ford Model T pickup, making a trip of 1/4 that length (1200 miles) in 1925, the year of the T pickup's intro. There weren't networks of highway completed yet, no gas stations around every corner, shoot, a lot of locales sold gasoline and lubricants through the town hardware and/or farm feed stores. So trip planning back then is analogous to today's electric cars, as infrastructure is not yet widespread. There are ample opportunities to do so, but right now, it all lacks the will to emplace it. Part of the reason is that, as compared to 1925, the relative cost of the manufacturing, the construction and the emplacement of charging stations would rival the current gas stations, and no one wants competition to the selling of gasoline. However, gas stations, mega station complexes (like Buc-ees here in Texas) and truck stops, are the best logical choice for their installation. Wal-Mart is already on the bandwagon.

11. TestDummy

We won't crash an EQS unless Mercedes requests a TSP. We have had many an EV through here recently for events. I drove a Model S Plaid and a Lucid Air with 1,100 hp. What a hoot. Accelerating shoves the air out of your lungs with a grunt. Makes you realize we are wasting our time adding big cams, headers, aluminum intakes, etc., to our cars to make them fast. Not many ICE Ranchero's will ever be 0-60 in 2 seconds fast...unless converted to electric.

12. handy_andy_cv64

Ford already has it, you just have to have the stupid-level Rancherobuxx to accomplish it. There's a manufacturer who's designed, and is building, a line of integrated motor axles for trucks and SUVs; it looks like one of those could be designed to also fit intermediate and full-size 60s/70s cars, just by changing the width specs. The motor appears to be the size of a 10.25/10.5" Sterling axle's differential casing.

13. TestDummy

They sold out in a few hours. I look at the crashed EV's we have here and wonder.....

14. Hillbilly

Was looking for answers as to the quality of the fit and finish, materials used in the body construction, how it all fared in the tests you administer. Totally not satisfied with Tesla's quality control at present, at least not for what they ask for out of my bank. If Mercedes isn't asking you guys to test their products, wonder who is doing those tests ? Next question, is there a standardised charging plug-in or do you have to hunt for the correct charger ?

15. handy_andy_cv64

Are you kidding? This is Quadraphonic, DAT/DCC, HD DVD/BLU-RAY all lashed together with an iPhone charge cord (latest version, of course!).;)

Hillbilly likes this.
  16. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

17. TestDummy

What you said.
    Tesla's are not impressive, build quality-wise. I'll grant you that. There is a standardized plug used by 90% of the OEM's.

18. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

My favorite local ARCO -- usually the cheapest -- is now at $6.01 cash for a gallon of 87 octane. Credit is 10cents higher. We don't have a lot of trips on plan.

TestDummy likes this.
  19. Hillbilly

Found what I wanted Sean. Euron NCAP has good info.

20. handy_andy_cv64

When I had to go rescue Roger on Sunday after the alternator got chargrilled on a near-100° day Saturday, the only way I could get out there (because no one was available to drive me) was an Uber. Sonofagun if the neighbor kitty korner across the street gave me the ride, but it was in a Tesla model S, and, of course, it had a large touch screen controlling all functions. If it has a catastrophic failure of that touch screen while driving, does this affect driving the car (run/steer/stop)? Will it give you the ability to get to a destination?