EGR valve

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Ran Man, Sep 5, 2022.

1. Ran Man

Ran Man In Fourth Gear

My 72 has lost power when i accelerate. I noticed a gas smell and black exhaust on the garage door about a week ago and today while driving it had no power and backfired when trying to give it gas hard.
    A guy told me it sounded like an EGR valve issue or the fuel air ratio is not correct.
    I can find nothing on EGR on my Cleveland. Any help is appreciated.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

On the '70s Fords, the EGR was bolted to a carburetor baseplate; on the V8s, it's located behind the carb.

3. Ran Man

Ran Man In Fourth Gear

Andy do you have a pic of what it looks like?

4. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

A 72 did not come with An EGR valve
    check timing and Carb black smoke and soot usually mean extremely rich mixture

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I think California required them starting in '68, but Cleveland engines were not IMCO-certified, and still could have EGR and Thermactor on 49-state engines. My '74, which was sold in the Seattle area, had them.
    Anyway, he could be right also, but if you don't have an EGR, your carb spacer won't have a provision for it. And Babe's equipped with an aluminum manifold, with the EGR passages cast in, and a phenolic plastic carb spacer, so it wouldn't be the same.

6. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Here in Tennessee the 72's didn't come with egr valves. 1973 got egr valves. 1974 added cats and thermactor pumps. We got charcoal canisters and related plumbing in 1969. Everyone here was amazed at the amount of snake nest plumbing when we viewed a West Coast car that met CARB standards.

7. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Nope

8. Monk Daveohue

Monk Daveohue In Second Gear

You could try blocking off PCV, power brakes, EGR if it is present on the back of the spacer plate (mine is, but it is a 73 non California 302), vacuum advance and any other fitting that could leak air. Once, my vacuum diaphragm on my brake booster got a hole and made the car undrivable. I was able to block the hose to get it to run again.
    Actually black smoke suggests too much gas, not too little. Maybe your carb is leaking gas out of the vents. Worn needle and seat. Do you run E10 gas? That can ruin a carb. I don't know if bad power valves are common on your carb.

9. 1978GT

1978GT In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

This thread is titled "EGR valve" only because someone guessed at the cause of the problem.

The symptoms described: "lost power when i accelerate... gas smell and black exhaust"

First thing I would check on a carbureted engine is that the choke is coming off properly.

andrewok1, Hillbilly and pmrphil like this.
  10. Hillbilly

First check would be if choke really is opening, second thought would be a destroyed power valve diaphragm thanks to ethanol fuel if the carb is a two barrel.

andrewok1 and RancheroRandy like this.
  11. Ran Man

Ran Man In Fourth Gear

Hey guys, plugs covered in carbon when i changed them. Engine is running very rich. Pinging through the exhaust pipe on acceleration. Not sure if i should jack with the mixture screws on my Holley carb. A guy told me if it has been running good he wouldn't mess with them. Next step is take it to the shop. Taking it to cruisin the coast at the end of the month and need it running correct.
    By the way no EGR on my 351 C

12. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

The mixture screws are for idle mixture, and will have hardly any effect on running rich/lean. Ignition timing and/or power valve is where you need to begin.

13. Ran Man

Ran Man In Fourth Gear

Thank you for the info

14. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You could check and adjust the float level if it's the right type holley. Might be worth it before you do the power valve.

Hillbilly likes this.
  15. Ran Man

Ran Man In Fourth Gear

I bought a rebuild kit and am going to redo it all and clean the carb. It is a 4150 650 cfm and about 6 years old. I guess its about time.

16. Ran Man

Ran Man In Fourth Gear

17. Ran Man

Ran Man In Fourth Gear

Hillbilly what part of Tenn? I am coming to Knoxville next week to watch the Vols play Flori-duh.

18. Hillbilly

All of it. If you are driving the Ranchero fear not. The five counties that required emissions testing gave up testing in 2020. EPA says the air is clean enough now. I do remember as a child seeing Nashville rival LosAngeles for smog but currently the air there is nice and clean like the rest of the state.

19. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

Hillbilly can the charcoal canister be replenished with charcoal used again.
    ????.

20. Hillbilly

That I don't know about Andy. Never opened one. I suspect it is possible.