Ok, why the heck are El Caminos more popular than Rancheros?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by 70_Ranchero_GT, Mar 27, 2008.

1. 70_Ranchero_GT

70_Ranchero_GT In Third Gear

Hi everyone - this is something that has been on my mind for a while now, why the heck is there not a bigger market for the Ranchero? It kills me that the El Camino gets more spotlight in the car-world than a Ranchero. In all honesty I think the Ranchero looks much better!! Of course there are years that the El Camino was a nice looking car, but not enough to make it more popular. And I ain't hating on Chevy's, I have a 71' C10 (hauler). But Ranchero vs. El Co's, I think there no competition.

So what is it that happened years ago, that did not allow the Ranchero to become more popular nowadays? When I look at the prices of Rancheros for sale, for the most part they are cheap, but when comapred to a El Co in similar condition it's sell for a lot more.

In the end I guess this is good for all of us because we can pick them up for cheaper. But again it kills me that Rancheros don't get the props they deserve!

Do you guys think that there are more bow-tiers out that and that's the reason? I think it's time for the Ranchero to get some spotlight and allow the collectiable value to go up!

This is so sad, but I bet if there was movie or some hollywood star that had a Ranchero in the soptlight, it would get popular. When you do see a Ranchero in a movie, it usually in the background or passing by.

Thought I'd get everyones thoughts on this to see you feel the same.

GO RANCHEROS!!!!

2. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

In general Chevys have always been more popular than Fords with exception of the mustang. Really there are many movies out starring fords but I don't believe it will help the popularity much. There is a lot of brand loyalty out there and chevy seems to be the more dominant choice.

3. 70_Ranchero_GT

I didn't realize Chevy in genreal were more popular. You called it though brand loyalty is probably driving a lot of it..

4. 64ranchero289

64ranchero289 In Overdrive

Chevy is the most popular car for restoration because the folks that make all the performance parts decided they would make and Improve the Chevy small block making the 350 one of the most used engines in hot rodding. If as much research went in to the ford engines in the early years the ford would have been more popular. The replacement body panels have been around for years making them easier to restore. Advertisement and stupidity Every one knows the 454 was the best engine ever made and ate hemi's and cj's for lunch. Also why buy something different when you can go to a car show and see 30 67 to 69 chevells with cowl hoods and tubed wheel wells. I mean all those people can,t be wrong. Thats why I am a member of the any thing but Chevy club. I have own one and it was OK but not my favorite. And it is the same with pre 1960 cars I almost don't bother to go to car shows any more for every 55 ford you see there will be 10 555 chevies. On the brighter side if you are competing in a show the breaks down to manufacturer you have less competition. The biggest factor I think is the folks who restore cars are Idiots who are trying to make a killing on there Chevy when they dump it to buy a Ford.

5. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

I believe if Ford had spent a little more time on the sb head design, there would be more interest , factory heads just don't quite cut it compared to factory bowtie heads.

6. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

My guess is that Chevy built the El for many more years than the Ranchero was made. They were cheaper and parts as always on the chevies are easier to find and come up with. But its us the few the proud who do indeed have better taste :D :D :D and our mission... if you choose to except it.... is to bring world wide recognition to the much loved Ranchero :D

7. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

Chev vs FORD

The Chevy heaters warm up faster than do FORDS heaters...
    I could have a warm interior by th time I got to th creek in my S10. BUT it takes till th crossroads fer th FORD to warm up...THATS MY STORY AND I`M STICKIN` TO IT...

8. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

The most contributing factor would be is that there are so many aftermarket "upgrades" for their engines and chassis's' they are easy to build and the profit margin is there for the producers of aftermarket to make an engine/chassis "right" on a marginal design, why not? Consumers!!!
    Ford on the other hand, got it pretty damn close the first time, no need to upgrade.
    jus my opinion is all...:D

9. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

There are more Chevy's out there so there are more restoration parts available. Because there are more parts available they are cheaper. Because they are cheaper more people buy them. Because more people buy them there are more Chevys out there...repeat....
    I'm sorry Dennis, but that story is,......wierd. I'm sure you don't really think that is the reason. Good one :)

10. 78Squire400M

78Squire400M In Overdrive

Well put CJ, why mess with perfection?:D

11. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

The TRUTH is The Truth!!! :) I figured it was the answer Sean???:DAND Who dat on your Ranchero???:eek:
    Thats why I ain`t got a Chevy nomore???
    We even got rid of the El that was in th yard in those pics, in the yard...
    $500 was the going price!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2008
  12. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

I believe because you can build a Camaro or Chevelle out of a Catalogue with nothing but a Frame. Easy access parts and every Small black Chevy is based on the 327 - 350 I believe almost everything interchanges in those motors and Ford is more difficult with all of the engine families and hardly nothing interchanges between engines. Thats my story Im sticking to it :D

13. rancheromeister

rancheromeister In Overdrive

Ah,children, time for a history lesson. The Flathead ruled long before Chevy's small block came along. Chevys were always for the budget-minded, that's why they all had 6-cylinder power. Chevy's first V8 appeared in '55,a year after Ford's overhead-valve 'Y-Block' V8 hit the market. Chevys and Fords both sold well in 55-56, and Ford outsold Chevy in '57. Adding the V8 saved the Corvette, which sold so poorly it was about to be axed. The oh-so-popular-now 55-57 2-seater Thunderbirds sold OK, but the '58 four-seaters sold more than 55,56, and 57 combined. '58 also saw the introduction of the 352, the first of the FE V8s. The evolution of this series included the 390,
    406, 410, 427, and 428 performance engines. Chevy 283s and 327s did well in Corvettes, and made their way into Novas in '63 and Chevelles in '64. Chevy tried with the 409, but didn't get the big-block right until '65 with the 396. The evolution of this series included the 427,454, 502, and 572. Chrysler caught everybody napping in '64 by bringing back the Hemi. Richard Petty's career was built on this engine. Ford came out with a Hemi-headed version of the 427, also known as the SOHC engine;a race-only engine never installed in a production vehicle. Ford's FEs held their own in NASCAR and drag racing in the 60s; 427 Fairlanes and 428 Cobra Jet Mustangs dominated in Super Stock for decades. The Ford 427-powered GT-40s swept Le Mans 3 years in a row in the mid-sixties. Carroll Shelby's use of the 260 and 289s in the first Cobras preceded the Mustang by about 2 years; then got superseded by the 427 Cobra. The Ford small-block was introduced in '62 as the 221, with the new Fairlane. The evolution of this series included the 260, 289, 302, and the 351Windsor, which had a taller deck block. Chevy's small-block had grown to 350
    in '67, just in time for the Mustang copycat Camaro. Ford's 351 Windsor showed up in '69.Until the '80s, almost all parts were interchangable in Chevy small blocks back to '55. Basically 3 automatic transmissions fit all years. Interchangability was a little difficult with Ford for the 70s. When Ford stopped racing in the early '70s, they also quit making high performance parts. Chevy had complete performance engines available at the parts counter through the 70s. Then came the 'target' 350; a brand new, 4-bolt-main steel crank long block for $1,000. If that was too expensive for you in 1980, there were plenty of junked 4-doors or trucks available with 350 4-barrell engines with big valves and TH350 transmissions. You could buy these gas hogs for next to nothing, and have the building blocks for a great street machine. When Ford built the first Fox-body Mustang with a 302(5.0) V8 in '79, it was also available with a turbo 2.3 Pinto engine. Quarter-mile times were similar, and with gas going over $1 a gallon, they sold well. In 1980, the 302 in the Mustang was replaced with the 255, a lighter and downsized 302. In 1982, the 302 was back-a 2-bbl HO-and kicking a lot of 305 4-bbl Chevy Camaro BUTT! In '83 came the Holley 4-bbl, '85 the roller cam, forged pistons, and headers. And in '86 Multiport fuel injection appeared, without the headaches Chevy was having with its Tuned Port Injection. Ford got its act together and made performance parts and technology available. Their crate motors are still a little pricey, though Now you can buy an affordable Crown Vic, Lincoln , or pickup with a multiport 302 and AOD trans, and have the building blocks for a great street machine-that isn't a gas hog! Call a machine shop for a rebuild quote on a Chevy 305 and a Ford 302, it's the same price!It's been 12 years since '86,is the Camaro is out-selling the Mustang? Oh, I'm sorry. Chevy DOESN'T MAKE the Camaro anymore. I like my '79, and enjoyed my '72 as well. But if Ford had made a Ranchero based on the Fox-bodied Fairmont,like the Durango conversion, I'd have bought one. And maybe it would have lasted as long as the El Camino. I saw a commercial for an El Camino-looking Pontiac today. Ford still makes the V8 RWD Falcon ute in
    Australia....JD

14. Wedgehedd

Wedgehedd Guest

Che__ Che__

I would like to buy a vowel Vanna, give me an A, CHEA_ CHE__, how bout a V, CHEA_ CHEV_, is there a P? CHEAP CHEV_. I'd like to solve the puzzle, is it "CHEAP CHEVY?" General Motors mastered mass production, just like General Mills mastered cereal. Cheap crap, pumped to the masses was the vision and we have seen it come true. Best engine ever made? The 350 is the best all around V8 if budget is your only factor and you are under 500 horse. The Ford 289 best bet for under 3000 lbs, the Mopar 360 makes the best torque, and the FORD BOSS small blocks were the most powerful small blocks ever produced. A BOSS 351 just plain waxes anything stock under 400 cubes. The Wedge.

15. CJ Guy

16. 70_Ranchero_GT

Right on you guys! That was a lesson.

Thanks for the info, I had no clue that so many different factors played a roll in the popularity of the El Co. Basically the cheaper car sold a lot and since parts were cheap they stayed more abundant.

Kind of reverse mentality though, you would think that since Rancheros are less "available" and harder to restore they would be worth more.

Either way, I want go smoke some El Co's....:cool:

17. CJ Guy

Is that good smoke?...sorry wrong frame of mind...

18. 70_Ranchero_GT

Haaa....Haaa.....

Always good smoke..:cool:

19. rancheromeister

rancheromeister In Overdrive

20. 70_Ranchero_GT