Ranchero/Montego update

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by Dan the ranchero man, May 28, 2008.

1. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Car is looking very fine, Dan. I would like it even more if it was about 4" lower at both ends, but to each his own.

I hope you are going to somehow lock that spare so it can't easily be stolen. Maybe you could cross-drill the mounting stud to take a small lock?

It is doubtless much more valuable now than the car you started with -- what are the insurance issues for a build like this?

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I love the sitting high look. It especially looks good on Ranchero's (Mercury's), them being trucks and all.

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Rims look great Dan! 20 min with a torch will fix the height problem if you really are looking for a 3 spoke rimblow let me know;)

4. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

First there is NO height problem!!! :) :). Second I have a nice core for a 3 spoke wheel. Guess it will cost me about $450 for a complete wheel W/ new horn switch (I will refurbish my center pad myself) BUT if you have something really nice for less that I will not have to rebuild (just clean up a little) shoot me a PM!

5. Dan the ranchero man

The car sits at 32 1/2 inches in the rear and 31 1/2 in front. Look at this way I will NEVER need a floor jack to change oil! :D. (still thinking about a roll bar for the box) Yes I thought about cross drilling mounting rod OR like the 74 having a cover made (out of sight out of mind) to keep the spare safe.

I will need to talk to the insurance man very soon. They still think it has the LTD II front end. I will need to get a new apprasial then I will go in and talk to them.

6. hawk

hawk In Fourth Gear

Dan,this is still one awesome vehicle.I love the way it sits. Love what you done!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Brian Loula

Brian Loula In Fourth Gear

Look's great Dan. I like the stance also. I went back several pages to see what size tires & rims you're running , but couldn't find the info. I'm going to be replacing my '73's shoes in the near future.

8. Dan the ranchero man

15x7 (4) rims P225/70R15's on the front and P255/70R15's on the rear and (if you care) a P235/70R15 for a spare.

9. Brian Loula

Brian Loula In Fourth Gear

Thanks!,Do you or, your buddy Tony, have an extra Rim Blow center pad for a Torino? I scored a Rim Blow wheel,years ago, and it has a Cougar emblem.

10. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Dan is that bolt 1/2 13? if so I think I have a Ford spare tire lock or two down in the shop.

11. diggette

diggette In Maximum Overdrive

what truck:confused::confused:

12. LUCKYJACKASS

LUCKYJACKASS SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER

Beautiful truck!!! :cool: There is nothing wrong with the ride height on it. I like it sitting up a bit. That front end looks so much better than the LTD II front end they came with in the later 70's!!!!!! Great work.

13. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

It's just a beauty!!!! Dan. :cool::cool::)
    Every time I see the pic's it puts a smile on my face thinking "here the Ford guy's has a lot to learn about design":D

14. TestDummy

Ranchero's are trucks. I thought you had one? :confused:

15. krehmkej

krehmkej In Third Gear

Interesting quandry. Guess it depends on where you are. For example, Nebraska plated my '78 as a 2-ton commercial vehicle (truck), while Oregon issued car plates.
    My understanding (probably flawed) is that Ford considered them to be cars (what with the Falcon/Torino/Thunderbird underpinnings). Also, they never to my knowlwdge issued a GVWR, essential for a vehicle to be a truck.

16. hawk

hawk In Fourth Gear

Tennessee titles them as pick ups. I'll have to look for the GVWR but pretty sure it's on the door jamb somewhere. Wish mine set like Dan's.

17. Dan the ranchero man

It is titled as a truck here as well. In fact back in the 80's I was required to take the thing in for truck saftey inspections on top of the emission testing. I always felt funny sitting in a truck testing station with big deisel rigs waiting to get my little ol ranchero saftey tested. Somewhere in the late 80's the smaller "B" plate pick ups (8000 LB or less) no longer where required to saftey test and that ended my once a year visit.

18. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

In Norway they are reg as a car:D as any other 5 or 6 seater, no truck or comercial vehicle so the tax when they where new was so high that nearly none was imported:eek:
    Thats because they are as comfortable as any car out there:rolleyes:
    Now the tax is very nice if any vehicle are more than 30 years, well all of our stuff we buy outside the country is 25% but a new car is all together from 70-500% depends on co2 and Hp and weight so a big american car with a powerfull V8 are up to 6 times as expensive here:rolleyes:

19. krehmkej

krehmkej In Third Gear

I stand corrected. Dataplate on my 78 says Type: Truck.

20. TestDummy

They were sold in the Ford Truck lineup; therefore they are trucks, regardless of what a stupid state thinks they are. The Gov't considers PT Cruisers and Chevy HHR's to be SUV's, as an example.