Durango-the last Ranchero (Looking for other Fairmont Durango owners)

Discussion in 'Ranchero Vin Decoder/Production Numbers' started by durangodaddy, Jan 1, 2009.

1. durangodaddy

durangodaddy In First Gear

In 1981-82 Ford syphoned a number of Fairmont(?Zephyr?) models from the KCMO Assembly plant to the National Coach Products company to be delivered to Ford Dealers as the Durango. This development collaboration was detailed by Dick Nesbitt (Ford Motor Co.-ret) in the February, 1995 issue of Collectible Automobile magazine. The Durango would have competed with the El Caminos of that era which had already been radically downsized and held a monopoly in a market which had been abandoned by the Ranchero. Instead of competing with one another in the car/truck hybrid market, however, both Ford and GM elected instead to develope the Ranger and S-10 pickups to compete directly with the Toyota and Datsun(Nissan) light trucks.
    The mystery which remains to this day, even to the National Coach Products company, is- how many Durango's were actually produced?
    Most of what I have been able to learn about the Durango project has been has been graciously shared by Dick Nesbitt, by the owner of National Coach Products, by members of various Ford clubs and by Ranchero groups in particular. I would like to thank the members of Ranchero USA for indulging this thread at your site posted in the hopes of obtaining VIN data from other Durangos. Specifically, if Durango owners were willing to share the last eight (8) characters of their VIN, together we may be able to establish a more definitive estimate of the total number of these Ranchero "cousins" ever produced.
    Thank You, once again, for your indulgence and your help.
    Happy motoring!

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

This thread should be made a sticky, I think. Moderators?

3. Lovinmy74

Lovinmy74 In Maximum Overdrive

Hmmm. I never heard of them. Is this real? I thought FF was up to something for a minute but thats a well laid out post. A lot better than what FF could do.
    If these were real I would like to see a pic of one.

4. TestDummy

They were real but I don't think really real. As in Ford didn't build them on an assembly line, they shipped half done Fairmonts to an offsite location for another company to finish them. Just like Chevy and Pontiac did with those hatchback looking Monte Carlo's and Grand Prix's they built back in the 80's. As DD says, nobody knows exactly how many were finished.

5. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Yes they were real, I remember them. Here is a thread clip about them.

6. durangodaddy

Thank you for the photograph.
    Hey, there is a town named Foristell near my house somewhere in the middle-could that be you?

7. ForistellFord

I've been there, lovely town... Too bad about the liquor store eh?

8. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

I've seen a couple at the all Ford shows here... a blue one and a red one I do have a few pictures somewhere I'll look at my supermotors account I have a few there. :D

9. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

What kind of engines are in those cars, is it a V6 or V8 :D

10. Ken N.

Ken N. In Second Gear

The motors were the same as Fairmounts. 200 inline 6cyl or 302 V-8. Yes you could get a 4-cyl in a Fairmount but I don"t think it was available in a Darango. The inside bed was fiberglass which included the back glass.Some guy on the net striped one out and was selling the bed and tail gate for $1000.Would like one! The ones I seen For Sale were nice low milage.

11. durangodaddy

i don't know about the liquor store. did i miss something?

12. ForistellFord

Nah, just the discount liquor joint by the truck stop closed down.

13. TestDummy

Muffler Man stepped on it......

14. 78Squire400M

78Squire400M In Overdrive

I'm still wondering that myself.:rolleyes:

Anyways, back to the only real Durango, from what I've looked at on the 'net about them, everything says they started modifiying Fairmonts in '79, and production ran until '82. Still not sure what engine options were available. I'd imagine they were no different than a standard Fairmont.

15. rancheromeister

rancheromeister In Overdrive

Some were made with plastic overlays to cover up the bodywork. They had Ranchero inner bed panels. Fairmonts had the same engines available to Mustangs; including 2.3s with and without turbos. :cool:JD

Attached Files:

16. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Saw one local today a 1981 Still with the original owner a neat old timer with out a Computer. said it has been his daily transportation since he bought it off the showroom floor at Erwin Ford in 81. I got a couple of pics on my phone will have to figure out how to get them on line.

17. 1114vontagen

1114vontagen In Third Gear

A Durango was for sale at the recent Portland, Oregon swap meet. I can't remember the price, but it struck me as reasonable.

18. durangodaddy

gotta say i don't get to Portland OR (or MA) very often.

If it's not too much trouble,
    whenever anybody happens to see a Durango, would you mind getting and posting the VIN or at least the last 5 or 6 numbers of the VIN?
    I'm still collecting info from multiple sources in an attempt to verify how many there may have been. Too much heresay/rumor without VIN info.
    thank you very much
    have a great day
    durangoddady

19. lwblumjr

lwblumjr In First Gear

Durango

Hi all,

A local Ford guy has (or at least had) one. He bought it locally, drove it for a couple of weeks and then parked it under a lean-to behind his shop. I'll have to see if he still has it.

[​IMG]

http://www.larrysfalconhomepage.com/durango.html

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  20. hctub

hctub In First Gear

Durango

Has anybody figured out how many of these were made? Will post a picture of mine if I can figure out how to do it!!! My files are WAY to big, how do you reduce them?