Cheap wheel ideas

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by 72sport, Nov 28, 2010.

1. 72sport

72sport In Second Gear

thought I'd share some of my ideas for cheaper decent looking wheels. I know swap meet wheels can be good deals. I have done the sandblasted rusty Cragers SSs and painted the spoke black and the outside rim area gray to simulate Torque Thrust wheels, but here are a couple other ideas I've come up with.

The first is dirt cheap if you have 15" steel wheels on your car. I did this to a 96 Crown Victoria that had no hubcaps when I got it. I originally was going to try and get the factory correct caps, but I had a set of caps from my old '85 F150 that I junked. They didn't look terrible, but it was suggested to me topaint the caps black. So I did. I have replaced those cap from a swap meet $5 at the end of the day. I bought the paint and masking tape for less than $10. For less than $20 you could go from this
    [​IMG]

to this

[​IMG]

to this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 72sport

72sport In Second Gear

Idea 2

15" steel wheels from a Jeep Cherokee. They used this wheel on the Cherokees and Wranglers I think for a lot of years so I see them on C-List offen. In fact this is the second set I did. They aren't near as cheap as the F150 caps, but I needed something. The first set I did I used the jeep center painted black. The problem with doing that is the fronts don't clear the dust caps. To fix that I cut the center out so the dust caps stuck through. It was OK, but not great. With the idea of using the Police Crown Vic or Ranger center caps Form Crownvic.net and Andy(eliteman) I decided to use Ranger caps. There are several designs that will work. I like the ones Andy used better, but these are the ones I found. Like I said above not super cheap and they also have the downside of having a lot of backspacing 4.75-5"s I know they will work on 72 ups, but can't comment on earlier models.

Ranger wheels might be a better choice,but I don't see them on C-list near as often as the jeep wheels.
    I got a set of 5 jeep steel wheels of C-List for $30, but they looked like this.[​IMG]

That wasn't gonna work for me. I sandblasted them, but forgot to take a pic. You could probably get similar results with a wire brush sand paper and a lot of time. I then painted them with Duplicolor self etching primer.

[​IMG]

I then painted them with Rustoleum Hammered Finish dark bronze 7218(finish is kinda dimply. It hides the pitting better). The Dark Bronze looks more Charcoal to me.

[​IMG]

Here is with center caps. They use special lug nut. You need at least 12. Get ones from a Crown Vic. Ranger ones will work too, but if you get Ranger ones you'll want all 20. Ranger lug nuts use a 3/4" socket instead of the 13/16" socket we use. That way you won't heed to carry two lug wrenches.

[​IMG]

Here was the price list for me. Parts bought new include WI sales tax.
    Jeep Wheels of C-List $30.00
    Sand Home Depot 3 x 4.12 + tax $13.04
    Blasting Tip $ 2.63
    Primer (in stock) Est $5 $ 5.28 (probably wouldn't need this with Rustoleum paint)
    Paint Walmart $ 6.30 ( I had 1/2 a can in stock that I used as well Could probabl finished with 1 but YRMV)
    Caps and lug nuts J-yard $30.00
    Total cost with cost of in stock items $87.25

By the time you include gas money to get the items listed I probably have $100. I know that doesn't seem cheap, but if you buy new cheap steel wheels it'll cost over$200 by the time you buy lug nuts and centers. Used alloys in decent shape will probaby cost more than $100 too.

I'd like to see some other peoples ideas

3. Hyrb

Hyrb In Third Gear

I like! I've seen the honeycomb style wheels from a Cherokee stripped and then repainted that look really good. Oustside silver and inside to match the car color.

4. 72sport

72sport In Second Gear

Thanks. You have to be careful with jeep wheels. The jeep Centers for these wheels will not clear the dust cap on the front rotor. The alloys might be the same way.

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Quickest one I've done? Crown Vic turbine style wheels on a '74...it actually looked closer to the '70s turbine wheels, but with the large center caps. If you hunt around, you can scare up the center caps with the Blue Oval on a silver background; I have a set of the newer Mercury center caps (silver symbol on a black background).