Holley in my Cyclone 429

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Giska1, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

Hi, I finaly got to get my Cyclone home, but I have a fuel leak in the carb.
    It leaks out in the front bowl and it seams to come from the acelleration pump in the buttom of the bowl.
    The carb has a # 80508-s or 3 on it.
    I've found that to be a 4160 4bbl 750 cfm carb with el choke, anyone knows if that is right.:confused:
    I need to order some gaskets I think.:rolleyes:
    I have a pic and a pic of the car on a trailer in Norway.
    Will get more pics but it has to stop raining first:eek:
    Inside the car I found a very messed up dash and I new it was without the gauges, but behind the seats I found another one with the gauges but it was also craced but I see that as a huge bonus he he. need a carpet and a good cleaning of the white interior, but looks like its all there.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2012
  2. shoprat

shoprat In Fourth Gear

That should run real strong. Pull the float bowls and put in new pumps.

3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Giska, the original Holley 750 was not a dual feed carb. Original had a fuel transfer tube from the front to the rear similar to a 650 or 600 cfm carb. Original had a hot air bi-metal choke instead of the electric choke cap. Under that rusty choke stove on the intake manifold is a loop of tubing that is in an exhaust passage under the carb. Vacume thru the choke casing pulled hot air from inside that tubing to operate the choke. Carefull drilling often let's you save the choke stove so you can install new tubing on the top side to the carb. As for the fuel leak you possibly can get by with only replacing the accelerator pump diaphragm. The rubber diaphragm does not like substandard fuel and will dry out and crack very often. Thankfully, it is very easy to replace. Good luck with your rare Cyclone !

4. 74Rancherito

74Rancherito In Fourth Gear

Solid car.
    I put a seperate filter in the line before the fuel pump and haven't had a problem.
    40 mic.

5. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

Yeah, that dash with gauges is a BIG bonus. Since I bought my Cyclone, I've only seen one dash pad with gauges for sale on Ebay. It was already restored, and it sold for $1200!:eek:

Based on what Hillbilly told me, I'm figuring on about $1,000 just to get my dash pad restored. That's not gonna happen any time soon.:(

6. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

No matter where or what happens to that car I am one jelous person.:D

7. Giska1

Thank you guy's, I will pull off the bowl first and chek out the gaskets, it has been sitting dry for some time so the gaskets may have been dried out and cracked.:(
    And I will ask a guy here what he will have for uppolstriong the dash:eek: Certainly will not be any cheaper than in the us.
    And Denny, I saw one that sold for 1600$ so it's not that easy to find, so i'm happy.:)

8. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Giska, the accelerator pump is under a small cover under the front float bowl. Just four screws. The pump gasket is the rubber diaphragm. Should be a spiral wound spring between the pump rubber and the float bowl. Only takes seconds to replace once you have the carb off.

9. Giska1

Ups. took it apart yesterday, and ordered a rebuild set at once:eek:
    Mud inside and some rust it looked like, a part that was loose inside, dont find a place for it in there:rolleyes: looked brand new, two holes in it but does not apear to been mounted anywhere.:confused:
    I will take the carb apart when I get the rebuild kit and see whats going on with the loose part.
    The funny ting is that the car run but leaked bad from that front bowl.
    I will clean it and rebuild it and then hopefully all be good.
    It will be a week or so with the mail from the us.:)
    I saw the axpump and it looks ok but will change it to, its a new one in the kit.

10. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

Just a thought... however... HILLBILLY is the master of Fords hehe... our 429 in Grouch is a 429 ThunderJet out of a 71 Thunderbird... known for fact.... it supports a HOLLEY 750 double pumper only because it likes gasoline... albeit.. most can survive on slightly less... at our altitude he needs much more.. there is when you give a little more attention to the jets. Sometimes they require more or less depends on your altitude you need to play with them a bit.... with Grouch at 70000 alt... we are running at 70 sized jets if that helps any .... oh and HEY HEYYYYYY GLAD TO SEE YA BABES

11. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Boy you really hold Grouch up on a pedestal don't ya 70000 ft is on the verg of outer space.....:eek:

12. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Shucks, that ain't but a little over 13 miles!
    I bet Red could launch that high off a 3 foot ramp long as it had at least a quarter mile to get up to speed!

13. Denny

Welcome back BlueThunderJet.:D

14. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Naw we wont let him back...;)

15. Denny

I don't know why not. Just because he believed that Bessie could have beaten .........well, you know.;)

16. Giska1

Hey, Sarah, i'm been playing with it and the car runs like shit, and has a lot of trouble tuning that holley, tried to drive it up the hill to my house but it stalled, hmmm I will now fill it up with fuel and do it again. Looks like it was on an empty tank and didn't get the fuel.:rolleyes:
    But the gauge sayes otherwise.;)
    No fuel in filter though, so hopefully thats the problem, there is a diferent camshaft in this 429, and some other pistons. But does not know what it is.:confused:
    And i'm about 100 feet above sealevel :D
    And it is good to hear from you.

17. Stylin'70GT

Stylin'70GT In Second Gear

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Giska1
    Where in Norway where you living, just curious

From 2000-2011 I was living at Høyenhal up by Ryen just east of Oslo S. Before that Grorud, and Sandvika. How about you? Where are you at?

18. Giska1

Ok, it's about 155 miles east of where I am, as it sayes Arendal just 50 miles from the southernmost end of Norway. It's a small town with 42000 people but still the 11'th biggest in Norway:rolleyes:
    We are a tourist town, and a lot of the festivals are here, the biggest one in Norway to.:cool:

19. Stylin'70GT

Stylin'70GT In Second Gear

I have been to Arendal many times. Beautiful town! I used to go torsk fiske der. Craig

20. Giska1

Oki thats nice I live on the island of Hisøy, and if you in a boat going straight out from the town you will have past my house on the right side, I have a 180 degree wiev of that fjord called Galtesund:D
    The house are purple and has been for 27 years :eek: up on top of the hill, hmmm some comment's of it some times he he:D