BH to case-fill C4 trans (pump) bolt length?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by 60To63Ranchero, Aug 24, 2013.

1. 60To63Ranchero

60To63Ranchero SITE SUPPORTER- GOLD

Greetings Ranchero Fans,

Either the new TCI SBF bellhousing I'm trying to install is thicker (more metal between the bolt seats and the transmission) or I have lost a few brain cells since I removed the old six cylinder BH ... because it seems that the bolts from old BH are not long enough to pull the new BH onto the circular transmission pump flange and thread into the transmission case bolt holes. They seem to be 3/8-16 bolts, 1 1/2" long, but I seem to need 2" or 2 1/4" long bolts; can anyone tell me how long their BH to transmission bolts are?

Would anything be potentially be damaged if I used longer than stock bolts?

'79-80 Case fill C-4
    New TCI SBF BH
    '74 157-tooth flexplate
    '74 250

Thanks
    Bob the Builder

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The bolts should not be used to pull the transmission to the bell housing, or to the engine.
    Temporarily install longer bolts loose, as guides, then install the proper bolts after everything is completely flush.

3. 60To63Ranchero

BH to C-4 fitment

The inner circular flange of the BH is a very tight fit for the outer circular flange of the transmission pump - without using the bolts to pull it on I'd have to sand the inner flange of the BH to loosen up the fit. The transmission is still in the car and I'm sitting in the engine compartment, so it's not the ideal position for pressing the BH onto the transmission pump by hand.

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I would use long bolts as guides and rap it on 'round robin' while pressing on the opposing side with a rubber mallet.
    If it won't seat, there may be something wrong.
    You can also put the bell housing in the oven, get it up to about 250 degrees, and install it hot. Just don't cool it with water as that will anneal the aluminum. Just let it cool down on it's own. The difference between the hole and the part can't be more than a few thousandths or it is not going on no matter how hard you try.
    Using bolts to set aluminum parts can cause expensive problems.

5. 60To63Ranchero

Finally persuaded the BH

I was finally able to persuade the BH to fit onto the transmission pump. Have always heard good things about TCI, but the manufacturing tolerances on either the BH or the transmission pump must have been slightly off.

Thanks for your help.
    Bob